Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ideas on how to become motivated!

(57 Posts)
nannychris1 Fri 23-Mar-18 09:58:16

I recently ‘happily’ retired but I’m having difficulty in focusing on going forward. I’ve become very lazy and waste so much time procrastinating. I’m up and having bfast by 7.30 but waste the next two hours slouching in PJ’s reading social media, magazines, etc! I flit from one thing to another and cannot concentrate. ! (I help look after GC at odd times throughout the week which I love).
Any ideas on how to restart my new life would be greatly appreciated.

maddy629 Sun 25-Mar-18 07:45:18

Well said, MawBroon, I could not agree more. nannychris1 enjoy your 'me time'. I decided to learn to crochet when I retired and I spend lots of time doing that. I also take long country walks with my husband.

GadaboutGran Sun 25-Mar-18 11:45:49

I think what is most important, whatever else & however much you do, is to keep your body working so you maintain choice, have a good quality of life & can die ‘fit’. So do something physical, something social (with & for others), something creative, something mental (in both ways- exercising the brain and going a bit crazy!) & something spiritual (your way). When, how often and how is your choice. I have only just thought that up so will now get dressed, stop reading the papers and doing fb and take my own advice!

Soniah Sun 25-Mar-18 14:13:35

GabriellaG - Last night of our play 'Passion Wagon' last night then off to the pub to celebrate with cast and friends, got to bed at 2.30am ( new time), woke at 6 so thought I'd watch the start of the F1 but ended up watching it all, at the Town Hall by 9.30am to strike the set, home for so,e soup by 1pm, bones ache a bit now but I have 3 pages of our local magazine to write, put in photos and send to the editor in chief by tonight, and need to give the hall a sweep before tomorrow's yoga. Then a rare and much needed night in front of The Durrells and the Karma hospital, think I'll sleep well tonight! Not always quite so busy!

petra Sun 25-Mar-18 15:29:44

dbDB77
You say you feel guilty taking money for nothing.
I'm assuming then that you worked 'cash in hand' and paid no taxes.
Or, you did pay tax? What do you think that tax is for?

PamelaJ1 Sun 25-Mar-18 15:54:45

I paid tax but I can’t,unfortunately ever remember paying over £600/month. Still I’m not feeling guilty likedbDB77!

dbDB77 Sun 25-Mar-18 18:14:51

Yes Petra - I always paid tax and NI and also paid into an occupational pension scheme all my working life - as I said in my post, my friend told me I'd worked all my life for my pension.
I was trying to be a bit lighthearted using words such as "naughty" and "wicked" - I love being retired and appreciate the freedom everyday - but I also volunteer - as do thousands of retirees - I like to contribute & put something back - I can't get away from my upbringing, but then again I don't want to - it's made me very grateful for my life.