Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Behaviour of GS

(51 Posts)
DotMH1901 Mon 30-Apr-18 16:21:46

Do any Gransnetters have GC with autism? I am worried about my GS - he is now almost 15 and it is like dealing with a four year old at times. My DD has come home from work (after collecting him from school) having had one long argument in the car because he was told not to take his tablet to bed (he can't get up in the mornings) and we found out that he had taken one of his sister's tablets instead. His argument is that he wasn't told he couldn't take someone else's. This type of thing is happening almost daily, it is as if he needs to be told in great detail ensuring that every possible permutation has been covered. My DD has gone to her room for a rest because he has made her feel quite unwell. I know that some teenagers go through a period of rebelling but this isn't that - he seems completely unable to understand that his behaviour is causing a problem, instead he blames everyone else. Other things he does (making odd sounds, getting aggressive if told no, shouting instead of speaking normally and has been disruptive in school, talking over the teacher etc) have made me wonder if he is, in fact, autistic? He does have epilepsy on waking but this is controlled by a very low dose of Tegretol and, if he takes his tablets he is fine (another thing he does is take his tablets out of sequence, I bought a pill box for him with the days of the week on and I fill it for him, yet I often find he has taken the wrong day (and then isn't sure if he has actually taken his tablet or not).