Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Potty training

(55 Posts)
dreamspirit Fri 01-Jun-18 13:16:01

Following the head of Ofsted's complaints today that so many children are starting school unable to speak properly, dress themselves or use the loo, I am despairing of one of my grandsons, age 3 1/2, who absolutely will not countenance getting out of nappies. My daughter has tried just about everything: left him naked (he just pees where he stands), bought him spiderman pants etc. (he puts them on over his nappy), tried putting him on the potty (he just gets off it), and so on. My daughter has always said, quite rightly, that he'll do it 'when he's ready', and I know that trying to force the issue can be completely counterproductive, but time is marching on and I'm just wondering if anyone has any brilliant suggestions!

B9exchange Sun 03-Jun-18 09:03:58

I only discovered this book www.amazon.co.uk/Toilet-Training-Less-Than-Day/dp/0671693808?tag=gransnetforum-21 for my last two, but it genuinely does what it says on the cover! I could not believe that teaching a wetting doll to use the loo would mean the child would too, but it did work. I couldn't risk potties being kicked over by other rampaging children, so they all learned using a seat on the loo from the beginning. Worth a try?

icanhandthemback Sun 03-Jun-18 13:47:02

I haven't had time to read all the replies but my grandaughter was like this. My DIL just kept her in nappies until my DG went to Nursery and suddenly, she wanted to use the toilet. She was trained in nano seconds.
Many children do not associate the feeling (or don't get it) with the need to go to the toilet so if the problem persists, speak to a GP/Health Visitor.
Also, just occasionally, it can be indicative in a communication problem so if there are other things that bother Mum, get her to speak to the Health Visitor.

rosjack22 Sun 22-Sep-19 08:00:38

Really it is very time taking for babies to do potty,also sometimes it is a serious problem when babies don't do potties.Here is a quick guide you can refer to.This book will definitely help you in baby potty problem :http://bit.ly/2kphR7I

rosjack22 Sun 22-Sep-19 08:02:29

Really it is very time taking for babies to do potty,also sometimes it is a serious problem when babies don't do potties.Here is a quick guide you can refer to.This book will definitely help you in baby potty problem : bit.ly/2kphR7I