Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why do men leave the seat up & other annoying habits?

(122 Posts)
NanKate Tue 17-Jul-18 20:15:52

Whilst on holiday and using the public loos I keep finding the seat left up ?

Any other annoying habits to add to the list?

CardiffJaguar Wed 18-Jul-18 11:07:44

The seat and lid should be left closed every time. Then everybody may be satisfied.

Neilspurgeon0 Wed 18-Jul-18 11:11:10

Oh Willow when we bought our first house we visited early and found they had removed the rather nice wooden toilet seat and not replaced it, so the first thing we bought was a nice one, then on returning discovered they had replaced the nice one with a broken one that actually pinched Mrs Neil who was by then a bit desperate, having declined sitting upon a lidless one an hour earlier.

I have always put the lid and seat down after me, but grandson has just put his foot through the lid, trying to open a window he claimed, he is aged 13 so reckless at best, so we will shortly be buying a new one. Mrs Neil fancies one you can remove easily for proper cleaning, which seems eminently sensible .

starbox Wed 18-Jul-18 11:11:11

Well, whatever your views, public loos should DFEFINITELY be left open! 1) There's no toothbrushes about 2) The least of the worries is airborne droplets...there's often much worse 3) I like to see at a glance on entering cubicle that it's OK..dont want to soil fingers lifting what may be a none-too-clean lid to find horrors inside. In fact I'd avoid closed loos in preference for ones with lid open!

Guineagirl Wed 18-Jul-18 11:13:19

Had to add here seat up so I moan put it down and ‘there is air freshener on the wall’. Leaving a tiny bit of marg in a tub or a tiny bit of orange in the bottle. Not locking doors oh I could go on and on and on

SunnySusie Wed 18-Jul-18 11:20:48

I agree with you starbox, I avoid public loos with the lid shut because then I have to touch it. I had a horrendous experience once in the station loos where my hands encountered something just under the lid which I wont go into. Now I walk all down the row trying to find a toilet with the lid up and seat down then I dont have to touch. When in South East Asia last winter had to wait ages for the loo in a restaurant, only to discover it contained the only sink in the establishment and the staff were washing up, then the 'clean' crocks were stacked on the floor next to the loo temporarily. Needless to say there was no seat or lid and it was unisex. We had already eaten our meal. Amazingly we survived with no deli belly.

anitamp1 Wed 18-Jul-18 12:06:44

Never had a problem with seats up in public loos, as there are usually separate men's and ladies toilets. Would never touch toilet seat in public/restaurant/hotel loos. I always hover. But another thing about men and toilets. Why do they always wait till we are ready to walk out of the door to go out, to decide to pop to the toilet? And not always quickly.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 18-Jul-18 12:13:07

I grew up in a house where the downstairs toilet didn't have a lid at all, so I never really have managed to get into the habit of closing the lid, but I am sure it is more hygienic to do so before flushing. However, I then find myself lifting the lid again, to be quite sure that the bowl is clean.

I hadn't heard ever that Austrian and German men were taught to sit down to wee.

Here in Denmark, all sailors sit and the state railways ask their male passengers to do so when using train toilets.

Muslim men and boys are taught to sit, that I do know.

Nannan2 Wed 18-Jul-18 12:43:23

I must be unusual in this- id rather my 2 teenage sons leave the seat up as when its down they leave it down,then always 'sprinkle' the seat- id much rather they left it all up then at least when i put seat down to use it i at least know its clean& dry.(then i can pop it back up for them.Unfortunately they dont often remember!

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 12:46:09

I used to have an ex that was always leaving wee on the toilet seat.
I remember my mum telling mein an exaggerated whisper,
"Oh, by the way, I've had to use your flannel to wipe the seat in there!" smile

TillyWhiz Wed 18-Jul-18 12:53:18

Our public loos do an extra flush when you open the door - very annoying as they face directly onto the car park and it looks like you haven't washed your hands!

Nanny27 Wed 18-Jul-18 12:56:50

If you use a loo after a man who has left the seat up you are forced to put it down, touching the underside of the seat that his wee has probably splashed against. Yuk. Yuk. Yuk.

Nannan2 Wed 18-Jul-18 12:56:54

My ex husband used to sit to wee when we first got together- till i pointed out men usually stand- so he did from then on(so he said)lol.but he had no idea why he did it- hes not austrian,nor german,nor from denmark,nor muslim,nor a sailor! I can only assume it was his mum who taught him potty training when little,rather than his dad.grin

Diggingdoris Wed 18-Jul-18 12:57:11

Oh now I've read these posts I will certainly be closing the lid every time.
Talking of annoying things, there always used to be dribbles of wee round the toilet when my boys were young and H used to blame them, but when H ran off with a' younger model', I soon discovered who the dribbler had been, as I didn't have to wipe up every five minutes!

Luckygirl Wed 18-Jul-18 13:02:42

Yes - the hoverers are a pain and why you sit down and find you have someone else's wee on your thighs! Yuckety yuck!

It is trying to help a little one in a public loo that is the big problem. I'd rather they found a drain to pee down.

Nannan2 Wed 18-Jul-18 13:03:15

In public loos i try avoid loos with lid down as you never know whats lurking under there(usually its something that cant be flushed away by previous occupier!)when it cant be helped,if theres only 1 loo- i gingerly lift it using toilet paper just in case!wink

ReadyMeals Wed 18-Jul-18 13:05:23

Never mind the seat, but the actual lid should be down unless he likes particles of feces on his toothbrush. Show him the research about it.

Nannan2 Wed 18-Jul-18 13:05:33

And both my teenage sons(19&15) blame each other for the dribbles- when i know its BOTH of them!grin

Aepgirl Wed 18-Jul-18 13:40:21

Oh for a man in my life to leave the seat up.

Overthehills Wed 18-Jul-18 13:59:09

DH sits down to wee - taught in boarding school.
What I don’t understand is why DS always put seat and lid down at home but now he’s married and has his own home the seat and lid are always left up!!
I have all dislikes of public loos previously mentioned!

Rufus2 Wed 18-Jul-18 14:03:11

always lift my trousers off the floor too and wipe the seat with paper before using it,

Evening All; Sorry; I can't contain myself any longer; I'm bursting, with laughter of course! I've got all these verbal identikit pictures of contortionists carrying out one of Mother nature's calls.! The circus must be in town. grin
But none so far surpass a demonstration I once witnessed where a "purist" had practically papered the whole cubicle, before leaving. Better than graffiti.
Now that the World Cup and spitting has been done to death, so it seems, we now have a spitting- image of that thread with another bodily function. sad
I guess variety is the spice of life, and the OP did call for examples of other "annoying habits"; two spring to mind, but I'll let others have a go first. wink
It's OK , I've had dinner a while ago.!
PS; don't take your diuretics until you get back home. grin
OoRoo

4allweknow Wed 18-Jul-18 14:09:38

Yep, I have those on all three toilets in house. Great if folk actually bother to give the things a little touch to get them to go down.

stella1949 Wed 18-Jul-18 14:12:55

At our place we have our own toilets. His is much more ritzy than mine, with his beloved electronic bidet and soft close seat and lid. He keeps it immaculate. I'm sure he always puts both seat and lid down. No wonder I married him .

4allweknow Wed 18-Jul-18 14:21:55

Have twin sons (now grown up). When very small husband took them to toilet to demonstrate how to per standing up. Midst demo sons put hands out to catch the "waterfall. Next endeavour was caught both if them in toilet trying to see who could aim the highest. Thought you would enjoy the toilet training antics never mind the seat up or down lark.

Nanny27 Wed 18-Jul-18 14:33:23

Our downstairs loo is right opposite the front door. I have a regular visitor who not only leaves the lid up but also leaves the door wide open for all to see. No matter how often I shut the door and pointedly put the lid down she appears oblivious. Upstairs is the same but at least it can’t be seen from the street. Anyone got any ideas before I go completely mad?

sassenach512 Wed 18-Jul-18 14:47:34

If I have to use a public toilet, I always put toilet tissue on the seat before I sit down and use a bit of tissue to flush and open the exit door.
My DH has the frustrating habit of leaving the last couple of squares of tissue on the toilet roll holder and standing the new roll next to it on the radiator. His excuse is: "well it's not finished yet" !
...and they think women are unfathomable confused