Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where does the time go!

(65 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 18-Oct-18 12:13:41

Since retiring, in my case 10 years ago, we have never been so busy. It's a cliche but true, there is so much to do. I find it hard to find the time to be the kind of gran I'd like to be for our 7 DGC and to do even half the things I want to do in my later years. How do you all manage?

Juggernaut Fri 19-Oct-18 12:07:21

We've just come home from two weeks holiday, a wonderful time of basically watching the world go by!
It made us both realise how much we do for other folk, and how little time we have to ourselves, but we won't always be needed for as many things, so.......

sarahellenwhitney Fri 19-Oct-18 12:30:05

Many many years ago I worked with a lady who came back to work but only part time after early retirement. She claimed she enjoyed the work and company but also did not feel so guilty in saying 'no' to those who assumed she had all the time in the world to help them with their various causes and interests as after all 'she was retired'.

Craftycat Fri 19-Oct-18 12:36:38

I make sure I leave plenty of 'ME' time.

DH still has many years to work being younger than I am so I am making sure I do what I want before I have to become a 24/7 couple.

Alypoole Fri 19-Oct-18 12:40:40

Can’t believe where this year had gone. Gch have different half terms so next is full with them. The week after is totally crammed with lunches etc. Now walking the dog in the Gower-it’s all good smile

Cabbie21 Fri 19-Oct-18 13:55:30

Currently feeling very constricted as one or both of us is staying in as we have decorators in. There is no room to move, as stuff has had to be moved to clear the space. Can’t get to my laptop or do a jigsaw. Can’t just run upstairs for something I need.
Makes me appreciate my usual freedom to come and go, get out and about, do voluntary work, go for a drive, meet friends, go to events, church, go for walks.... whatever.
Where does the time go indeed? Currently wasting/ spending far too much time on my iPad.

Grammaretto Fri 19-Oct-18 14:33:09

I'm having to book an appt with my DH for a half day out.
I think that's the problem. When you aren't employed, and in theory have spare time, its too easy to say you can be home for tradesmen etc
I've been waiting in for a tree surgeon and a roofer. The roofer is now not coming till Monday and the tree surgeon? Where are you?

Tillybelle Fri 19-Oct-18 14:54:31

I know!! I never finish everything I had planned each day! How did I ever go out to work?

I do love being at home now though even though I am limited by disability and pain. I also cherish time to myself. It is so peaceful. It makes seeing my family all the more precious.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 19-Oct-18 16:01:33

I can't fit everything in and the one thing that goes is an overtly clean house I am afraid. I was a young gran and now all my gcd are grown up I don't have any care duties and both sets of parents died some time ago. So I fill my time doing what I like. I have taken up hobbies that I dropped because of lack of time, at the moment I am glass hangings for the Christmas tree. Also joined a cycling club, Breeze, for women of all abilities and ages and love it. Willow, after a few months you will wonder how you ever had time for work. You can also enjoy a long lie in when ever you want.

Mapleleaf Fri 19-Oct-18 16:03:32

Nothing to feel guilty about at all, Jane10.
I love taking time out to read or watch tv. The chores and jobs get done as necessary, but I do not feel in the least bit guilty about reading or watching tv when the mood strikes, and neither should you! ??

Saggi Fri 19-Oct-18 17:08:32

Gillybob...have you heard the word martyr ....some people like being them so they can brag or moan...I think you’re one! And IRONING!, people still DO that!?

Greenfinch Fri 19-Oct-18 18:10:18

I think you are being unkind Saggi. Gillybob does not brag or moan. She is totally devoted to her family and does her best for them. And yes I still do ironing and quite enjoy it actually.

PECS Fri 19-Oct-18 18:16:05

I know people who love ironing.. just not me! I think Gilly is a Martha of this world.. always busy and sorting things out and helping people. I do my fair share but not as much as gilly who is not boastful or matyrish.. she just seems to get on with it!

peaceatlast Fri 19-Oct-18 18:45:33

I’m so busy I can’t keep up with myself! For nine years, one or two days a week, I’ve cared for my grandchildren. In September 2020, when I turn 69, the youngest starts school and I intend to move from the house they know and love and move to the seaside, my heart’s desire. However, due to my daughter’s marriage break up and in the interest of continuity for my grandchildren, I’m seriously considering putting this on hold. Rightly or wrongly, but it’s a real dilemma right now. Mine or everyone else’s needs? It’s difficult. Problems I never anticipated. I’ve loved being here for them but what to do?

Barmeyoldbat Fri 19-Oct-18 19:05:24

Greenfinch, I iron and I think your comments to Gillybob were very unkind unnecessary.

Legs55 Fri 19-Oct-18 19:31:24

I love being retired, sadly no DH to share it with now but I've had to adjust. Making a new start after being widowed, new area, new friends, exploring new places.

I have had 2 weekend breaks with friends, one visit to DM & another planned. I enjoy coffee & meals with friends. Housework when necessary when you can write your name in the dust blush

I don't have childcare responsibilities but see my family frequently

gillybob Fri 19-Oct-18 19:47:08

Kick a girl when she’s down why don’t you Saggi sad

Greenfinch Fri 19-Oct-18 21:06:03

BarmyoldbatI made no unkind comments.I think you have confused me with someone else.I was supporting gillybob.In fact I don't believe in being unkind on this forum.sad

NfkDumpling Fri 19-Oct-18 21:06:25

I really want to join U3A but just can’t find the time.

gillybob Fri 19-Oct-18 21:17:28

I know that Greenfinch thank you . You are a kind person . Unlike some sad

4allweknow Fri 19-Oct-18 22:00:20

Gillybob You certainly are busy. In fact no idea how you cope. Why do you though have to give up your leave to care for DGC? Take it their parent/s also work so is there a reason their holidays can't be coordinated with yours so DGC can be looked after by them and you have your leave free. Not critising you or your family, just thinking of how you can have a break from it all.

gillybob Fri 19-Oct-18 23:05:31

Annual holidays for average working person in industry = 4 weeks plus b/h’s . School holidays = 13 weeks (plus odd days) it’s not exactly rocket science is it 4allwekow ? (Don’t mean to be nasty just stating facts) My DS and DDiL rarely get ANY time off together as they have to take separate holidays to fit in with childcare. I pick up all of the rest plus sick days etc.

GreenGran78 Sat 20-Oct-18 01:02:38

I think that Saggi is a reincarnation of Mabon1, whom I haven't noticed making unkind comments today.

gillybob Sat 20-Oct-18 07:51:17

I was thinking exactly the same thing GreenGran78 . I’m half expecting a nasty PM.

Marydoll Sat 20-Oct-18 08:18:53

Gillybob, I really admire you and all you do, so don't let one nasty remark get to you.
If you are a martyr, then so am I! I too can't say No , not only to family, but everyone else, probably to the detriment of my own health. There are not enough hours in the day just now.
Last night DH and I were saying, as much as we adore DGD how resentful we were becoming. My my son promised to pick up ill DGD early, as we had electricians, joiners and a plasterer in the house, we couldn't even make a cup of tea.
However, it was actually DIL who turned up even later than usual, saying DS was away buying takeaway, as they were so late getting home!!! No thought as to how stressful the whole situation was for us and how we were going to manage to eat, among the kitchen chaos. angry
We only have ourselves to blame! However, we had little support from our own parent's and we want to help our own children.
I hope you get some relaxation this weekend Gilly.

CardiffJaguar Sat 20-Oct-18 08:26:44

Retirement does not mean we stop doing things, apart from work that is. We carry on with all thoise things outside work and add to that all those things we have been waiting for retirement to be able to do. Or at least we try.

Of course it is difficult to fit it all in especially as we do not have the pressure to do it that work entails. When we cannot fit it all in is when we start to wonder about time. So stop for a moment; realise that life is so full of opportunities and just make the best use of all the time that is available.