Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas Presents for Grandchildren

(62 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sat 05-Jan-19 01:42:03

There's been a simmering row going on all over Christmas between my daughter and her husband and son-in-law's mum. She has been widowed for 6 years. Every year she buys loads of presents for our granddaughter (aged 5 now). This year, another little (adopted) boy joined the family, bringing with him toys from his foster home. My daughter expressly asked us not to buy too much, as space is scarce in their house.
Well, Christmas Day arrived. My husband picked up daughter's MIL, and there were 14 Christmas bags of various sizes, plus bigger toys which would not fit into a bag. So much stuff in the (estate) car that there was no room for me and my 3 bags of presents, and hubby had to come back for me!
Plus there is a huge wooden train-set still awaiting collection from her house that just would not fit in the car. This train-set is so heavy that it's in a box with castors on it! Distressed Daughter: "Where the f--- are we going to put that?"
Opening presents was an absolute nightmare. They covered the whole of the lounge floor, so that nobody could move!
She is very generous, and lovely - but just won't listen!
Then, on New Year's Day (our house), she told daughter and son-in-law that they had bought too many presents for the children! You could have heard a pin drop before son-in-law exploded!
I don't want this to escalate into a huge row, but fear that it's likely to.
(She was asked, before Christmas, to buy just a couple of presents, and if she wanted to, put money into the children's bank accounts.)

MysticalUnicorn Mon 07-Jan-19 15:01:13

Send unwanted toys and gifts to the Children's ward of the local hospital. They are always willing to take them, and very grateful I've found.

Desdemona Mon 07-Jan-19 15:56:03

What a lovely idea!

Kamiso Mon 07-Jan-19 16:15:20

A friend of mine had competitive parents and in laws. She once ended up with 60+ bibs after commenting that she could do with a few more! Funnily enough the blame was always laid at the in laws door! Unfortunately both sets of parents were involved in the break up of their marriage.

oldbatty Mon 07-Jan-19 16:25:12

Mmm this lady has the skin of a rhino

Grammaretto Mon 07-Jan-19 16:51:30

The games people play!!
DD complains that her in-laws bombard them with gifts - and at birthdays there are orgies of present opening . Yet if I ask what she wants she'll often tell both of us the same thing. Infuriating.
This Christmas at least one gift was left at ours.
Thanks for a reminder about where to take unwanted gifts.

Nananj Mon 07-Jan-19 19:35:22

I buy my grandchildren 4 presents for Christmas and birthdays . Something they want , something they need , something to wear and something to read . I buy throughout the year in sales etc .

Jalima1108 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:49:21

I'm not sure how old the little boy is, but the little girl, at 5, is just old enough to understand that not all little children have as much as she has and she may really enjoy giving some of these toys away to a deserving cause.

BradfordLass72 Tue 08-Jan-19 21:15:03

We have a tradition in our family which began with my sons 50 years ago and now carries on with the grand children.
One gift (this year boxed set of Wrinkle in Time) and then 10-12 little ones. These can be anything from a plastic shark, a sugar-free chocolate or muesli bar, to a pair of socks.
I then write 10+ clues and hide the gifts all over the house and dgs has to decipher and find them.

He LOVES this game and each year in November asks if I'm still going to do it.

This is an example:

^Where does Grandma do her laundry?
There’s a basket in this rhyme
And a gift for lovely grandson
But here’s the thing - will you find time?^

This was a cheap but working watch, cost less than a cup of coffee.

Lyndiloo Wed 09-Jan-19 01:08:41

BradfordLass I love that! A Christmas treasure hunt! Will bear it in mind for when they get a bit older.

Farmor15 Wed 09-Jan-19 18:57:35

Lyndiloo - since you obviously know other gran well enough to give her a lift on Christmas Day, could you spend a bit more time with her, as it sounds as if she might be lonely and bored? And using her time to shop!

Could you do a few things with her, meet for lunch, an outing somewhere. Without bringing up the issue of presents directly, you might have a discussion about things you could do together with grandchildren. This might take her mind off shopping for more stuff!

Lyndiloo Fri 11-Jan-19 03:50:27

Farmor We do spend quite a bit of time together - look after the grandchildren twice a week together, and now and then go out for lunch, etc. More rarely - go shopping, or to the theatre. I'm sure that she is lonely at times. But my husband and I try our best to make her life less lonely.