Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help no idea how to handle this situation

(107 Posts)
Abuelana Sun 19-May-19 18:57:06

My daughter (we are very close) is due to give birth soon. Her partner today has said that he doesn’t want anyone else at the hospital. Firstly, he asked what do you want to do. Then when we said we’d head to hospital once our daughter was in labour. Then he claimed that he wanted no-one at the hospital except themselves. He wouldn’t even call to say they were on their way. I really don’t know what to say or do. I know it’s their decision - however in the back ground my daughter was shaking her head.
Never been in this position before so I really don’t know how to react.
Apart from that if he decides he doesn’t want to be in the delivery room it leaves my daughter alone.
Struggling with all sorts of emotions. And all he kept saying is I want control! Once you guys arrive I’ll have no control.
Want to do the right thing by everyone.
Feeling helpless

starbird Fri 31-May-19 10:46:22

Are you perhaps from a different culture where men are not normally part of birth and other intimate women's matters?
Today in Europe at least, it is the done thing for them to be very involved at the birth, if they want to be, and a husband would expect that. Perhaps your daughter is not so keen but it is something for him and her to discuss and make a decision about.

If he said “once you guys are there I’ll have no control” that suggests to me that he may sometimes feel left out of the relationship. You say you are very close to your daughter - perhaps too close. Even if this is what your daughter wants, it is not normal - once married, partners should come first for each other. They make decisions together, share special moments together ( of which the first baby is the most special) and so on. It sounds as though your partner feels that he is sometimes left out, which is not good for the marriage.
Once he is back at work, you can have daughter and baby all to yourself, plus of course your son in laws family if they are nearby, but even then, you must be careful not to take over or make decisions about your grandchild that should be made by the parents alone. It is wonderful for your daughter to have her mother around, but you will rightly be number three in her affections and priorities once the baby is born.
This is all assuming that her husband is treating her well etc. If you are quoting what he said accurately, he sounds quite laid back and kind, but just wanting to assert his right to have his family to himself for the first few hours.
The advocacy idea sounds great, it should clear things up for you all.

annodomini Fri 31-May-19 11:33:40

I am sure she will want her Mum there, don't we all at times like that?

If you had read through this thread, you would have realised by now that the answer is 'NO'!

It was almost 50 years ago and the very last person I'd have invited to the birth of DS1 would have been my mother! And, to do her justice, I am sure she would have fainted at the mere prospect! I have no daughters but I would never have dreamt of butting in on a wonderfully private moment as this would surely have been. Neither of my DiLs had her mother present and, as it happened, I was able to be the first granny to have a cuddle as I was in the vicinity at the right time. Not that I would dream of gloating about that privilege.

Summerlove Sat 01-Jun-19 03:39:53

@ditzy, I have a great relationship with my parents.
I tried not to tell them I was in labour. I was so annoyed that they came to hospital and sat in waiting room after being told not to.

I didn’t want the pressure of people waiting.

SueH49 Sat 01-Jun-19 06:05:43

Like so many others I think this is a very special time for the new parents.
I never even thought of having anyone other than hubby in the delivery room and nor was it expected that I would. In fact at that time 43 years ago it was only just becoming common - in Australia - for fathers to be present at the birth and there were plenty that still did not attend.
When my first grandson was born we didn't even know DIL was in labour. Received a call to say he had arrived - a week early. When DIL went into labour with their second we were charged with looking after GS1 - already arranged that we would do this. After GS2 was born we were asked to take GS1 to the hospital which we did and gave the family a while to introduce the brothers. Only then - about half an hour- did we see our new GS. As an aside he turns 3 today!

Dawn22 Mon 03-Jun-19 08:18:27

If they are to stand a good chance at parenting leave them to it AB. It is there special time as a couple. That is the way years ago that we all had our babies. No mummy in the background. Cut the umbilical cord with your daughter now. Leave her off. It will be better All around. Not easy but will be for the best. D

blue001 Thu 06-Jun-19 03:58:25

Hi I just want to ask an advice if this Events place quezon city is a nice place for my 1st born Baptism reception. Please help me to check it out, your opinion is very well appreciated. Thank you in Advance!

www.theblueleaf.com/venues/cosmopolitan-quezon-city/