Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice please

(85 Posts)
Worriedgran24 Fri 24-May-19 08:42:30

Morning ladies - I have spent a sleepless night and havent managed to eat for a couple of days. Local Health Visitor seems to have taken a dislike to my daughter for some reason and is now picking on her every chance she gets and calls it "help", calling in Child Services etc. She doesnt like my daughter's flat - its an upstairs one (she has a 3 year old), she doesnt like the idea child could fall down stairs but she doesnt want a gate up because of health & safety! Child is not neglected, he's well fed and looked after. D is a bit untidy but that's it. They keep bringing up her mental health - she gets down at times like all of us and just wants to be left alone with her child. HV was around yesterday (just passing although they had an appointment next Wednesday) and ripped her to shreds. D just ended up crying all night. Child's dad is not around so she is on her own. I do try to help but I get told she wants a mum and not someone who tidies her flat. HV said she was going to help and didnt want to come across as the "bad guy" but then goes behind her back to CS and tells them different things to what she has told my D. She just doesnt know who to trust and is very wary of talking to anyone. HV said she needed carpets - CS called me and spoke to me and I mentioned carpets and they told me "lots of people live without carpets" - they can't even agree between themselves. Sorry for rambling but I don't have anyone to talk to.

Starlady Sat 25-May-19 02:07:47

Sorry DD is going through this, Worriedgran. I think you've been given some very good advice here, however, and some valuable food for thought has been raised as well. It's hard to explain everything in these posts. As such, I, for one, can't really tell if the HV is being overzealous, has biases against single mums, or if DD isn't being totally straight w/ you. I really hope DD is ok w/ your coming to the next meeting and that you are able to get the time off from work, even if you have to give up some time that you're allowed for illness or whatever. Then you can get a better picture of what's going on.

Starlady Sat 25-May-19 02:18:17

One other thought... Is it possible you're a little too close to the proverbial forest to see the situation clearly? Could it be, for example, that DD's getting "down" sometimes is really a deep form of depression, as some others have suggested? Whether you get a chance to attend the next meeting or not, please be sure you're being honest w/ yourself about DD's situation. I realize that DD is an adult, and if she declines your offer to be there, you'll have to respect that. But either way, I hope you'll be as objective as possible.

Hopefully, there was some misunderstanding, and/or DD can get a new HV. Just hope, in general, that all turns out well for her and GS.

GrandmaJan Sat 25-May-19 18:43:24

I was a HV for 11 years before I got a job in Child Protection. HV’s have responsibility for children from birth and have a statutory duty to see children. maxima25 asks why a 3 year old needs to be seen by a HV. This comment astounds me. There could be reasons why your daughter’s HV is concerned but you won’t be privy to that information but if it is a personality clash your DD is within her rights to ask for a different HV and remember she doesn’t have to allow her in the home although that could make the situation worse.

BlueBelle Sun 26-May-19 03:25:43

I didn’t have a health visitor come to my house only twice at birth and so many weeks after but that was a long time back None of my children had health visitors calling more than the statutory few times so there must be a big reason why a 3 year old is still having visits

I think that must be the bit we haven’t heard and probably the very bit the whole story hinges on

GrandmaJan Sun 26-May-19 19:50:15

Health visitors can refer families for extra support. There are 2 different types of referral, Child in Need (CIN) & Child Protection (CP). I would refer many families as CIN but the difference in this case is you can only refer with a parents permission. In some cases you could tell the parent that if they didn’t give permission than that would up the anti. Either way the parent should be told unless it’s going to put a child at further risk. In this case the mum would be aware unless as has been said, we haven’t been told the full story

Glammy57 Sun 26-May-19 20:17:37

I do understand your concern but please remember that the safety of your grandchild is paramount!

Missfoodlove Mon 27-May-19 16:32:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janeainsworth Mon 27-May-19 18:23:39

Missfoodlove you’ll get more replies if you start a separate thread. This one is about a gran who’s worried about her DD and DGD.

Missfoodlove Mon 27-May-19 18:49:51

Whoops!!!