Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mother-in-law

(52 Posts)
Jani Wed 19-Jun-19 12:56:20

Hi -my mother-in-law has come to live with us as her husband died in February. They used to live in France so not only has she lost her husband she has had to come back to England as can’t look after herself at 92. She can walk but slowly - is all there - does her make -up etc every day - I take her to the hairdresser once a week - she likes to look nice.

We have taken her abroad twice with us and although wasn’t easy all the time we managed it. However our problem is I need to get her out as there aren’t any friends close by - we have a couple of friends in England but she can stay with them for a week. I would like to find her somewhere she can go to talk to people - she loves talking - especially about the old days - she was a code breaker at Bletchley Park - that’s on the list for a visit - she has some very interesting stories.

So any suggestions would be great please as I don’t know where to start. Also is there anywhere she could stay when we want to go away by ourselves - other than the two friends.

I am finding it very difficult to actually get out of the house without her - which I know doesn’t sound very nice - .

Look forward to some help please.

GabriellaG54 Fri 06-Sep-19 00:03:06

You could try Abbeyfield which have several properties in the SE (might be some elsewhere, I don't know)
They provide a range of accommodations and I personally know one resident who worked at Bletchley.