Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Young Girls wearing make up

(71 Posts)
Judy54 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:18:14

I went to a family wedding recently and was taken aback to see a 10 year old little girl wearing make up. It is me or is the norm today?

Judy54 Wed 24-Jul-19 13:49:01

Thank you everyone for your interesting views. I can understand teenage girls experimenting with make up but a 10 year old is a Child not an Adolescent nor an Adult. Like Sodapop I am probably considered old fashioned in my view on this but as Tangerine says I realise we are all individuals with different ideas. That's what makes life so interesting!

agnurse Wed 24-Jul-19 20:47:38

I don't have as much of an issue with nail varnish. Little girls often like to wear sparkly nail varnish and I don't put that in the same category as makeup. I feel the same way about clear lip gloss.

Tonk Thu 25-Jul-19 09:02:18

At 10 years old she is an adolescent though. The average age of puberty in females is 10 years old & the World Health Organization defines an adolescent as any person between ages 10 and 19.

sandelf Thu 25-Jul-19 09:52:58

Wearing make up says - I don't look good enough for you to see unless I hide the real me. Bad enough adults accept this for the most part. A TOTAL no no for children.

Miep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 10:01:34

I can't stand make up on children under about 15, especially when they put it on so thick and stop just at the neck so have a "tide line". A bit of mascara and lip gloss maybe, but bit the full works. I've never worn make up and none of my daughters were into it either, though they might be now! Thank God I don't have to see it

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 10:01:51

No it doesn't - it says I like wearing a bit of makeup, I like the colours, I enjoy experimenting with it, just as I enjoy wearing different and experiementing with clothes and hair styles.

I/me is at the centre of my thought process - not you.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 10:02:43

wearing and experimenting with

FarNorth Thu 25-Jul-19 10:08:25

Judy54 I'd say it depends how much make-up she had on.
A little is fine for a special occasion, if she likes it.

I say that as someone who has never worn make-up since teenage years, and then only a little.
I tend to agree with sandelf.

Saggi Thu 25-Jul-19 10:38:52

Wrong on every count.

B9exchange Thu 25-Jul-19 10:39:48

I don't like it, but DD allows 10 year old DGD to wear lipstick, sparkly eyeshadow and mascara if she is going out, to theatre or family do. It is the parent's decision, so I am not going to say anything.

EthelJ Thu 25-Jul-19 11:07:36

judy54 I also dislike seeing make up on children. I think they should stay children for as long as possible and not grow up too soon as there is no going back!
However I wonder if they just see it as playing, like face paint or dressing up?

GreenGran78 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:07:44

Times have changed. I don’t like to see young children wearing makeup, but using a little is considered acceptable now.
I remember whenI left school at 16, and was about to start my first job. My mum told me that I had better start wearing some makeup, and took me shopping. I had never used any before, and probably looked a complete mess!

Aepgirl Thu 25-Jul-19 11:46:59

Definitely too young. When my daughter used to do ballet, come exam time any child with makeup on was told, by the teacher, to take it off.

Bijou Thu 25-Jul-19 11:49:42

Children mature so much earlier these days. I was still playing with dolls at fourteen. Didn’t wear make up until seventeen when the girls at work encouraged me to do so. My father was furious.

4allweknow Thu 25-Jul-19 11:50:23

I feel that make up for a lot of young girls is to try to make them look older. What benefit would a 10 year old derive from applying makeup other than to feel older/grown up. I don't even like to see nail polish on primary school children. Let them have something to look forward to when they are grown up. Same with the mini adult clothing.

Kartush Thu 25-Jul-19 12:45:22

I hate seeing young girls with makeup, why are we telling them that they need this to look beautiful. I have two beautiful daughters who hardly ever wear makeup and I personally have never used it.

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 13:05:37

Everyone is different though.
Some people enjoy putting on a face.
My mum saw not having a bit of lippy on as 'letting yourself go".

Horton1828 Thu 25-Jul-19 13:12:11

I don’t like the idea of it.... however, I remember my father going berserk when i put a bit of eyeshadow on when I was 14 (50 years ago).... Now it’s our turn to be shocked by the behaviour of youngsters ?‍♀️????

grandtanteJE65 Thu 25-Jul-19 13:27:49

Girls today are wearing make up much earlier than we were allowed to.

Some years ago there was a great to-do because underwear was being sold for little girls that looked much the same as ladies' underwear of the kind we buy when we want to spice things up.

I find it sad that little girls of ten are allowed to use make up and dress like teenagers, but I have no objection to them playing with make-up at home, or using it for plays at school.

No-one is likely to mistake a ten year old for a girl over the age of consent, but fourteen year olds dressed to kill is a slightly different thing. By letting little girls use make up, it is perhaps harder to prevent fourteen year old girls looking as if they are at least eighteen

optimist Thu 25-Jul-19 14:26:52

This seems very sexist to me, that it is considered necessary/appropriate for girls to wear make-up! Why would they need to try and make themselves appear more attractive than they already are. They are being brainwashed in a way that is shocking in this century.

GoodMama Thu 25-Jul-19 14:45:27

I went to a lovely outdoor wedding recently where there was a little boy about age 8. He had his hair slicked back with gel and was wearing a tuxedo. At the time I thought he was adorable.

Although, thinking back on it based on these reactions, i've had a change of heart. How dare those parents allow him to slick back his hair like the other adult men at the wedding.

He's a little boy and shouldn't be styling himself in this manner. I would never allow my son to wear his hair in such an adult manner in public. Sure, playing around the house its ok. But out in public and at an occasion like a wedding is a sad commentary on kids today and how they are being brought up.

When I was a kid boys never had gel in their hair. That was reserved for teenagers and grown men.

Poor little guy, being sexualized like that.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 15:36:16

Gel was invented in the 80s and boys wore it in their hair. These boys are now in their mid forties and by and large they've survived being 'sexualised' in that way. Heck, they're your bank manager, your doctor, your DC/DGCs teachers. Amazing to think, isn't it?!

My son sometimes wears gel in his hair - he's 12 now but he's borrowed his big brother's for a few years now on special occasions, but fear not - DH and I keep a close eye on him and so far he seems be OK, phew! <touch wood>

Otoh, I do seem to remember my dad's school photos from the 40s and 50s with many of the boys sporting slicked back, brylcreemed hair. Interesting, isn't it.

Iam64 Thu 25-Jul-19 15:37:00

I'm not a fan of make up at any age though I confess to using foundation when I'm feeling/looking v tired.
Make up for little girls playing dressing up is fine, same for little boys.
Make up on a primary age child is a No for me, wedding or no wedding. Girls need every encouragement to accept they're gorgeous and don't need make up.
I share the dislike of the suggestion that a ten year old wearing make up could be thought of as a 'tart'. In any event paedophiles generally want their girls and boys looking younger than their age.

Grannybags Thu 25-Jul-19 15:42:16

Aepgirl My GD recently took her ballet exam and her ballet teacher put makeup on her. She also sprayed her legs (don't know what with) to make them look "smooth"

She's 7!

cassandra264 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:07:55

Children dressing up and putting on make up in the safety of their home for fun under adult supervision- I personally have no problem with this.

However, I regret to have to tell you that a close friend, now retired, who worked with prisoners over many years (including those imprisoned for sexual offences against children) would advise you that predators often use such activities as an excuse for their own criminal behaviour e.g. 'She was asking for it'. Dark eyeshadow and lipstick of any colour can apparently be triggers, as can red shoes; a skirt short enough to show knickers when the child moves around; or any undergarment which resembles one an adult would normally wear.
I am sad to have to say this, but these days we should all be particularly careful of how our children may appear to others when they are out of doors or in any public place.sad