Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Young Girls wearing make up

(71 Posts)
Judy54 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:18:14

I went to a family wedding recently and was taken aback to see a 10 year old little girl wearing make up. It is me or is the norm today?

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 16:22:18

Can we have some perspective please - this is a 10 year old girl wearing a bit of make up to a wedding, not a remake of Lolita.

Nanny41 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:34:07

My Granddaughter has used make up for a few years,she is now fifteen, she doesnt need make up, and the stuff she puts on, there is a procedure of different "layers" called all sorts of things, I wish they didnt have to be like their peers, they are all lovely without make up.
I use mascara, occasionally rouge, very daring, mind you my face looks like tram lines,maybe thats why!

GoodMama Thu 25-Jul-19 16:34:34

SirChenjin, You missed my point, I was being facetious and flippant.

Of course its fine for a young boy to wear hair gel and for a young girl to put on a bit of make-up for a special occasion.
It's between the child and their parents.

All of these people sitting around passing judgement on other people like they are the etiquette or childrearing police is exhausting. They will find just about anything to complain about the current generation and their children "doing it wrong" so they can feel superior.

They have no perspective. And can't get past the fact that their (a random strangers) opinion on someone else child has no value, thats why they complain here, in an echo chamber of like minded, judgmental, out of touch folks.

It would be funny if it wasn't sad.

travelsafar Thu 25-Jul-19 16:55:42

When they get older they will feel sad they didn't appreciate their natural beauty at that young age.

Now the weather is so hot they will feel uncomfortable i am sure if they have plastered their little faces.

What happens when they go to the beach or the pool???

granny4hugs Thu 25-Jul-19 17:06:56

Like a few here I think a wedding could just about be put in the category of 'dressing up'. Why anyone who didn't need it (young people) would slap chemicals on their skin every day I am afraid I do not know.
Years ago it was something you did as skin tone started to fade or for a special occasion. I see lots of school girls regularly slapped-up. What pressure must they be under if even pre-pubescent girls feel the need to have that on their faces. No wonder we are also looking at an epidemic of teenagers getting what used to be called 'plastic surgery' and is now called 'augmentation' and ruining perfectly healthy bodies.
And, if you look on the internet we are led to believe that if you go without make-up in public you are a "hero" in which case I am Wonder Woman all day long. What complete and utter crap.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 17:46:50

Good - my apologies, I completely misread the time of your post! smile

I agree with you about perspective - some of the posts on here have been somewhat dubious to say the least. Young girls are not tarts for wearing a bit of makeup to a special occasion, nor does it mean that every paedophile in the area will suddenly descend. I’m quite amazed at some of the hyperbole actually.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 17:47:06

* tone

OPgrndtr Thu 25-Jul-19 18:10:38

I hate to tell you all, but Dermatologist's studies have shown that nail varnish/polish can be damaging to the nails of any age.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 18:28:35

I’d be very interested to see any rigorous long term, large scale studies which show that.

grannybuy Thu 25-Jul-19 18:49:13

Wearing make up used to be a 'coming of age 'thing, along with first stockings, and even bras, though some well developed girls did need one sooner. The waiting was part of the growing up experience. Currently, my newly fifteen year old DGD is heavily into fake tan and make up. She really is much prettier without it, but it's a great deal to do with being the same as your friends. We all felt like that

agnurse Thu 25-Jul-19 18:54:16

I do believe there is an increased risk of melanoma under the nail if you use gel nails, due to the UV light that's used to set the gel.

nana15 Thu 25-Jul-19 18:59:42

I agree with charleygirl15. it makes children look older after all they are not children for long.
12 year olds looking 16 is not on. The world is going insane!
what next plastic face with monkey lips etc etc.......then old age reduced to a pile of non biogradable plastic waste .

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 19:26:23

Agnurse not to my knowledge but again I’d be interested in seeing long term, large scale studies as it’s the kind of thing that I might get asked about at work

Lilyflower Thu 25-Jul-19 20:01:43

It is a class thing. As a working class girl (once, long ago, on a far off planet) I realised that middle class girls do not wear too much make up and have natural undyed hair and only one discreet ear piercing for proper grown up earrings. In those days one would not add ‘and no tattoos’ to the list because only sailors and criminals had them. Now, nice girls also eschew tattoos.

annodomini Thu 25-Jul-19 20:40:34

A sensible parent will let her daughter (even son?) experiment with some make-up and show her how to do it with subtlety and appropriateness for the occasion. I know that some teachers keep a pack of make-up removing tissues in order to send over-made-up girls to take it all off. Some schools do have rules about make-up.
I've had a close look at my (almost 17) DGD's prom photos. She looks by no means 'made-up'. Has subtle eye shadow and some not very obvious lipstick and is quite lovely - in my eyes at least.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 20:49:50

Oh dear Lily - tell that to my solidly middle class daughter and her friends! I’m afraid times have changed.

Merseybelle2 Sat 03-Aug-19 17:29:49

I think kids today wear far too much make up. My friends GD is only 13. The photograph I saw yesterday she looked about 30. She was standing next to her mother and they looked like sisters not mother and daughter. Both with tons of fake tan, fake eyelashes, those eyebrows that look like tattoos. She goes out with her friends dressed in outfits I wouldn’t let her out the house in. I’m not surprised they’ve had problems with her already with alcohol and lads !

M0nica Sun 04-Aug-19 01:39:51

My 12 year old DGD, loves using make-up. She does it so skilfully it is at times impossible to realise she is wearing it. She loves it, it doesn't look remotely precocious, as she is tall for her age. Her best friend uses none at all.

Not what I did at that age nor did DD, but times change and she does it because she is artistic and creative in so many ways and does not do it to attract male attention, she still has the fairly general near-teenager contempt for the boys in her school.

stella1949 Sun 04-Aug-19 04:19:24

It seems to be the norm these days. My DGD14 wears full makeup every day , at school and at home. I must admit that she does it expertly, taught by her mother . I stay right out of it - not my circus as they say.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 10-Aug-19 15:13:25

I’m not keen on makeup on young children but it seems it’s a sign of the times, I couldn’t put the word tart in the same sentence as a young child wearing a bit of make up though that’s disgusting.