Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Young Girls wearing make up

(70 Posts)
Judy54 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:18:14

I went to a family wedding recently and was taken aback to see a 10 year old little girl wearing make up. It is me or is the norm today?

gillybob Tue 23-Jul-19 13:45:06

Well my 2 older DGC are 13 and 11 and both wear a little mascara ( not that they need it because they have eyelashes like a giraffe) and a little lipgloss on special occasions . Can’t see anything wrong with it to be honest .

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:47:26

Putting on makeup around the house, fine going outdoors no but going to a wedding, definitely not.

At that age, it would be very easy to look like a tart or am I showing my age?

Minniemoo Tue 23-Jul-19 13:49:04

Not a fan of children wearing make up. My youngest was in her Primary School and was told to wear foundation. Well I didn't have any so she went without. I appreciate that when on TV etc make up is needed but not in a tiny village school play. One of my great friends grew up in Utah and once the girls hit 10 they were all coated in the stuff. When she moved back here at the age of 15 she was amazed that her peers hardly bothered and weren't allowed to wear it to school which she was terrified about.

paddyann Tue 23-Jul-19 13:50:43

how can a 10 year old look like "a tart"? Not a word I would use about an adult never mind a child

tanith Tue 23-Jul-19 13:55:13

My 14yr old GD has only just started to wear a tiny bit of mascara if she is going somewhere. I don’t like seeing younger ones with makeup to be honest.

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jul-19 13:59:20

That is my opinion.

Septimia Tue 23-Jul-19 14:42:26

I don't know about 10 year olds looking like tarts but make-up on younger teens can make them look older than they actually are. Consequently they could be mistaken for girls who are 'of age' and there is potential for all sorts of trouble.
Girls usually have lovely complexions until they reach the spotty age, so why clag their skin up with cosmetics? Let them be children. And, while I'm at it, they don't need to wear nail varnish either!

Norah Tue 23-Jul-19 14:47:22

Norm today.

Grammaretto Tue 23-Jul-19 15:02:11

DGD aged 10 has just had her ears pierced and she was the last in the group.
4yr old has a nail bar so she'll paint your nails.
I used to totter about in DM heels and stuff hankies up my jumper.
Dressing up can be fun as long as you don't take it too seriously.
I don't like to see DD in make up. I think she's so beautiful au naturelle.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 16:20:43

I think its ok in moderation; sign of the times, I think.

gillybob Tue 23-Jul-19 16:40:15

Wearing a little mascara and lipgloss certainly doesn’t make anyone “look like a tart” How awful .

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jul-19 16:44:11

I never said it did gillybob

GoodMama Tue 23-Jul-19 16:50:46

I'd say first and foremost it's between the little girl and her parents, it's really not anyone else business. Sitting around judging other people is terrible. Name calling is certainly out of line. Perhaps come down off you mighty horse for a moment and join the rest of us. Kindness is rare around here, it seems.
Do you know this girl well? Does she wear a full face of make-up often? Perhaps because it was a special occasion and she was getting ready with other ladies and they playfully put a little lip gloss, blush and mascara on her. In which case I think it's sweet and was probably very special for her.

SirChenjin Tue 23-Jul-19 16:57:48

A tart (ie a prostitute or sexually promiscious woman) is not a nice word to use to describe what a child wearing make up might look like sad

A full face of make up on a child isn't a particularly nice look imo, but a bit of lipstick and mascara is fine for a wedding when we all get dressed up and wear stuff we wouldn't normally wear.

EllanVannin Tue 23-Jul-19 17:19:35

I'm not in agreeance with it, sorry. It just scares me with so many creeps around. Just something else to worry about.

SirChenjin Tue 23-Jul-19 17:27:59

These creeps (I take it you mean paedophiles) don't need a bit of make up - they will do it anyway.

sodapop Tue 23-Jul-19 17:53:17

A little light make up on a special occasion is fine. I do think some parents allow their young children to dress inappropriately for their age. I am probably considered old fashioned though.

Sara65 Tue 23-Jul-19 18:38:19

I’m not a fan of makeup on children, they don’t need it with their lovely flawless skin, I’m not a fan of piercings either, but I’m sure the little girl mentioned by Judy doesn’t make a habit of it, and a little bit of mascara and lip gloss seems okay to me on a special occasion

Joyfulnanna Tue 23-Jul-19 18:53:00

Aww, poor little love.. She probably only wanted to copy mummy...

annodomini Tue 23-Jul-19 19:04:43

Which of us never ransacked her mum's make-up bag? Children always want to ape the ways of their elders. I had my mum, my auntie and two older cousins, providing plenty of temptation. It does no harm to allow a ten-year-old a dab of lip gloss, for a special occasion like a wedding.

SalsaQueen Tue 23-Jul-19 19:05:49

My 2 DGDs are 8 and almost 5. They both have painted toenails (not fingernails, because of school), and they like to put on some lipgloss when we go anywhere. Nothing else, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Their 11-year-old sister wore lipgloss and a tiny bit of mascara for the school disco last week.

agnurse Tue 23-Jul-19 20:03:10

We weren't allowed to wear makeup (except for dance recitals and Halloween) until we were 12. DSD is 14 and only really got into makeup in the last year.

Grandma70s Tue 23-Jul-19 20:09:03

My granddaughter has occasionally worn a bit of pale nail varnish since she was 6. She’s 7 now. I hate to see it, but I say nothing to my DIL I think make-up will soon follow. It just seems sad to me to teach a young child that this is what being a girl involves.

I wore a bit of make-up for ballet displays when I was about 12, but not in ‘real life’. It was just lipstick and a bit of powder and blusher, never mascara.

Tangerine Tue 23-Jul-19 21:50:56

I think it depends how much make up. If it was just a little bit, I don't see that there is any harm in it. A wedding is not the same as school.

Even on adults, I don't like to see make up caked on but I realise we're all individuals with different ideas.