Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you dance?

(42 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 11-Sep-19 15:50:23

Continuing my pursuit of the body-beautiful today I went to a jazz dance lesson.

It confirmed that I have two left feet and not much rhythm!

Gawd, it's painful looking at yourself in those wall to wall mirrors lumbering around with pom poms. The others had been last term so I was particularly out of step.

But I shall persevere - one must be brave hmm

lemongrove Wed 11-Sep-19 16:14:22

Good for you! smile
I prefer a brisk walk for exercise, as I know I have two left feet.

Greyduster Wed 11-Sep-19 16:28:23

My God No! Don’t have a rhythmic bone in my body. I am still trying to learn to floss (so yesterday, Gs tells me!).

Oldandverygrey Wed 11-Sep-19 16:40:03

Joined a keep fit class recently (am the oldest one there) looking definitely out of place amongst the lycra clad ladies who of course have every action off to perfection and position themselves in the front of the class so that the rest of us don't miss anything. Going back for more torture this week, just wondering when I will progress to lycra.

MissAdventure Wed 11-Sep-19 16:42:32

I don't really know, because I'm extremely uncomfortable with dancing, even though I love music.

Its something that makes me quite sad, but I'm so self conscious, even if I'm alone in my flat.

lemongrove Wed 11-Sep-19 16:45:47

MissA aww, throw caution to the winds and go for it!
You should have seen me this morning ( maybe not grin)
Strutting my stuff when It’s Raining Men came on the radio.

MissAdventure Wed 11-Sep-19 16:47:56

I honestly just can't.

I so wish I could.. I think my grave stone will say "I wish I had danced" (except I'm having a direct cremation, I think)

Grandma70s Wed 11-Sep-19 16:53:02

I could do ballet a long time ago. It has rules and steps. I can’t just make up dancing as I go along.

kittylester Wed 11-Sep-19 17:16:55

Are we twins missa?

Ellianne Wed 11-Sep-19 17:30:15

Definitely, yes. I did ballet until mid teens and am very grateful for the classical training I had. I've recently joined a silver swans ballet class and it has all come flooding back. The teacher is very disciplined and strict! I'm finding it fairly easy so far. I think ballet is the basis of other dance forms because I'm pretty good at jazz, modern etc.
I can't sing a note however!

callgirl1 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:39:51

I used to dance a brilliant polka, apart from that, never been able to dance to save me life!

ninathenana Wed 11-Sep-19 17:47:50

I used to be able too. I loved dancing, and went most Friday nights and dance all night.
I've never tried ballroom but would have loved to.
They say it's never too late but sadly it's a case of the mind is willing but the body is knackered !

JackyB Wed 11-Sep-19 18:00:27

Like Grandma70 I can only do set steps (Gay Gordons, Valeta, St Bernard's Waltz and all the Reels and the Dashing White Sergeant) -although I never did ballet.

We learned to waltz and cha cha at school, and DH and I did a course many years ago, but I couldn't improvise.

My parents loved dancing (on ice, too) and spent most of their courtship tripping the light fantastic. So I don't know why I have two left feet.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Sep-19 18:01:28

No rhythm outside my head I m afraid
When I joined an exercise class a while ago I was going down when everyone else was coming up I was going to the left when they were at the right
Nightmare never again I ll stick to my cycle and walking

KatyK Wed 11-Sep-19 18:03:51

No but I wish I could. My granddaughter is a brilliant dancer, especially tap dancing. I love watching her and wish I could do it.

Framilode Wed 11-Sep-19 18:18:48

I have absolutely no sense of rhythm. I tried to learn ballroom dancing when a teenager and was told I was unteachable.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 18:21:28

My eighteen year old drummer grandson says I am a good dancer.

Sadly, can't do it for long these days.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 18:22:56

Loved dancing at school. All those dances that JackyB mentions.

dogsmother Wed 11-Sep-19 18:31:12

I can’t, but I do in the kitchen when nobody’s looking.
I do love to as well.
I would love to have lessons but I’m really really bad ?

petra Wed 11-Sep-19 18:32:19

MissAdventure
I'm coming over that bridge and make you dance ? ?
There's no way you can love music and not be able to dance.
Just make sure you've got George Michaels Wake me up before you go go.

annodomini Wed 11-Sep-19 18:36:06

I was good at Scottish Country Dancing when I was young, but that was well in the past. Was never any good at the ballroom dancing. A BF once tried to teach me to tango, but I just couldn't relax. That relationship didn't last very long.

crazyH Wed 11-Sep-19 18:37:33

My lovely older had the most beautiful 'cha cha cha' hips - danced beautifully - dancing with the angels now?

BlueBelle Wed 11-Sep-19 18:37:41

I love many sorts of music I went to ballet classes for years as a child, and could jive if I had a good partner in the old days but no rhythm for years

BBbevan Wed 11-Sep-19 18:53:06

When I can dance, I am first up and last to sit down. Love it, all sorts. I did Zumba for years but can't find a class near me now. DH doesn't dance so I mostly do it on my own .

Marydoll Wed 11-Sep-19 19:20:25

I used to be good at Scottish country dancing, (well I thought I was grin, as we were taught it at school. Once I was thrown out of the dance class at secondary school by the PE teacher because I honestly thought the dance Strip the willow was called, Strip the widow ! blush

My friends and I used to go to fundraising ladies nights, where everyone was great at line dancing, but I hadn't a clue what I was doing! Eventually I gave up trying, as just I caused chaos. ?

My friend, who is even smaller than me, used to partner each other for dances such as the St Bernard's Waltz and Pride of Erin. I kept forgetting I was supposed to be the male partner and we would fall about laughing.
Thinking back, it was great for lifting your mood.

To be honest, I'm rubbish at dancing!