Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you dance?

(43 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 11-Sep-19 15:50:23

Continuing my pursuit of the body-beautiful today I went to a jazz dance lesson.

It confirmed that I have two left feet and not much rhythm!

Gawd, it's painful looking at yourself in those wall to wall mirrors lumbering around with pom poms. The others had been last term so I was particularly out of step.

But I shall persevere - one must be brave hmm

Grannycool52 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:29:34

I go to an Over 50s modern dance class in our local leisure centre, provided free by our local council.
It is an absolute hoot! I have a walking disability, lots of the ladies have creaky knees, & most all of us are hopeless dancers but it is great fun & I would really recommend it ?

janeainsworth Wed 11-Sep-19 19:36:50

Riverwalk do you mean this sort of thing? m.youtube.com/watch?v=RDucQwUgw8E
Respect for even trying! smile

Riverwalk Wed 11-Sep-19 20:01:33

Not quite as sexy as that Jane - we were making movements with a chiffon scarf to the music from South Pacific I'm gonna wash that guy right outta my hair grin

And pom poms to I'm a believer

Next week music from Chicago so I'll then be slinking along to All That Jazz

janeainsworth Wed 11-Sep-19 20:02:17

Sounds great!

SalsaQueen Wed 11-Sep-19 20:03:07

As my name suggests, I love Salsa dancing. It can be quite sexy (depending on who you dance with). It's certainly good exercise.

Jangran99 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:07:19

Yee haa!! I’m a line dancer, go twice a week and do some u tube practice as well. Fun,friends and fitness, what’s not to like?Off with my sister and twenty friends for a dance weekend in lovely Grange over Sands. ??

Marydoll Wed 11-Sep-19 20:11:54

You will have to give me lessons, Jan, my friends have given up! grin

bikergran Wed 11-Sep-19 20:18:55

Loved my linedancing, went for years then had to give up as dh was poorly.

Have tried going back but cant seem to muster the enthusiasm.

Great thing was you didn't need a partner.

cornergran Wed 11-Sep-19 20:33:31

Used to love it, well jigging around happily, the looks from the family the last time they saw me said it all. Haven’t dared since. May go back to kitchen dancing.

Jangran99 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:29:13

You are on Mary.Get those dancing legs better and we’ll hit the Grand Old Oprey, yee haa!!

Marydoll Wed 11-Sep-19 21:45:21

As long as I don't have to wear a stetson! grin

kircubbin2000 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:49:54

Not a good dancer but I put my name down for zumba tomorrow.

Ailsa43 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:35:16

Yes I've been a dancer since I first took tap dance lessons when I was around 7 years old. I still love to dance, any dance, from the jive to a waltz, from Disco to dashing white sergeant, I can do it all... . It's my first love!

grannyqueenie Wed 11-Sep-19 22:42:50

I’m another, MissA and Kitty, no matter how i try, I really just can’t - could we be triplets? grin

MissAdventure Wed 11-Sep-19 23:05:27

I feel sure I have some great moves locked inside this old body, but my brain just stops me from allowing it.

Jangran99 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:17:17

Mary, if I wore a Stetson I could be mistaken for a rather large mushroom!

MiniMoon Wed 11-Sep-19 23:42:15

I love music of all sorts, and I used to be a really good singer, but dancing, no ?. I think it is because I am so self conscious blush.
I can waltz with DH, and used to like a barn dance.
I never was any good at dancing at a Disco though. I just stood and sort of wiggled about.?