Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's everyone planning to eat today?

(69 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-19 11:25:28

I've just had an Ocado delivery so my stock of goodies is high.

I did a 90 minute riverwalk early this morning in the freezing cold and later have a jazz dance class (just showing off here) so deserve big rations!

I'm eyeing a salmon en croute for lunch smile

Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-19 15:33:31

Where are all the vegans?

Probably slaving over a pot of lentils trying to inject some taste!

DillytheGardener Wed 20-Nov-19 15:39:32

Poached salmon, avocado and an egg. Trying to avoid carbs ....

merlotgran Wed 20-Nov-19 15:52:41

If I didn't have some chicken to use up my risotto would be vegan ?

Gonegirl Wed 20-Nov-19 15:55:36

I have got one lonely m and s meatballs and spaghetti in fridge which we will share and eat with cauliflower cheese, which will in fact be broccoli and cheese.

It'll do.

janeainsworth Wed 20-Nov-19 16:20:34

Riverwalk grin
Naughty grin

TerriBull Wed 20-Nov-19 16:38:37

Trying to eat a bit less, 3 cups of coffee am, then a small bowl of porridge and honey late morning. A banana and a cup of tea pm. I've made tonight's dinner, fish pie comprising of smoked haddock, white haddock, salmon, sliced leeks and chives covered those in a cheese sauce and topped with sliced potatoes instead of mash.

ginny Wed 20-Nov-19 16:46:19

Porridge and fruit for breakfast. Small jacket potato with cottage cheese ad some cold chicken . A banana. Dinner will be Chicken Curry ( previously frozen from another batch) with rice. Yogurt and fruit.

Floradora9 Wed 20-Nov-19 16:46:20

My lunch is a slice of low carb bread ( just the one ) with a bit of smoked fish and a satsuma . Tea to-night is fried Scottish haddock with peas and mash. We seldom have anything fried but haddock in breadcrums is lovely .

polyester57 Wed 20-Nov-19 16:46:52

Goodness, I will have four and twenty blackbirds baked into a pie.

Bathsheba Wed 20-Nov-19 17:01:39

Three out of two of my meals today are veggie

Haha, this made me smile. I'm guessing you meant two out of three wink

Bathsheba Wed 20-Nov-19 17:03:22

Nannyjan snap for breakfast and lunch! But no bolognese this evening (that was a couple of days ago wink). Tonight it'll be salmon and vegetables.

crystaltipps Wed 20-Nov-19 17:13:33

riverwalk vegan bashing again - sigh- at least no sentient creature deliberately had its throat slit or had its babies ground up to end up on my plate.
No I am not boiling up lentils I am having crispy tempura and stir fry with noodles and a sweet and sour sauce, followed by a vegan magnum and some cashew nuts to nibble plus a glass or two of Sauvignon blanc. Goodness knows why some people think you have to have a bloodied body part on your plate to be “tasty”. ( sorry this was a response to the goady post above) .

EllanVannin Wed 20-Nov-19 17:17:21

I've had 2 ( copper marans ) eggs on two rounds of toast. These are very brown eggs with orange yolks. Delicious. They look like chocolate eggs in the box.
I always buy them.

Riverwalk Wed 20-Nov-19 17:32:06

Not vegan bashing at all crystaltipps.

I'm actually quite an accomplished vegan cook and have been for some time but there's no denying that in order for it to be tasty and interesting you have to have knowledge and imagination and spend some time. Unless of course you buy-in ready made stuff.

Did you make your own tempura batter and sweet & sour sauce?

crystaltipps Wed 20-Nov-19 17:49:19

Riverwalk yes - Tempura batter is easy as is sweet and sour sauce, I do like a bit of chilli in it .
I didn’t make the Magnums or Sauvignon blanc though.

Mapleleaf Wed 20-Nov-19 17:53:26

Vegan if you like it, vegetarian if you like it, meat if you like it, fish if you like it. A variety of all 4 if you like them. What I am getting cross about is the suggestion by some that our choices are wrong.

crystaltipps Wed 20-Nov-19 18:10:20

I didn’t say anyone’s choices were “wrong“- I was replying to the earlier goady comment that vegans would be too busy boiling lentils to respond to this thread. If people want to eat slabs of flesh on a plate go ahead. If you think describing meat as “slabs of flesh” from “sentient animals who have had their throats cut” as inaccurate please enlighten me. If people are happy with that that’s up to them.

MamaCaz Wed 20-Nov-19 18:30:15

I had toast with olive oil on it for breakfast, finished off a batch of muesli for lunch, with coconut milk on it (was going to have some homemade squash and tomato soup when I thought little dgd was going to be eating with me, but plans changed), then vegetable and cashew korma with rice tonight.

I'm not vegetarian, but we are trying to eat far fewer meat-based meals at the moment. I'm trying to cut down on dairy too (to see if my phlegmy throat improves), but that crept in today as part of the korma sauce!

kittylester Wed 20-Nov-19 18:30:55

I am very happy with that thank you.

Mapleleaf Wed 20-Nov-19 18:34:36

Yes, it is up to them, and it's up to others if they choose not to eat meat. That's my point crystaltips - choice.

Gonegirl Wed 20-Nov-19 18:36:34

My dinner went down very nicely. Marks and Sparks do quite a nice meatball, and I do a fantastic cheese sauce. smile

Suki70 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:39:27

Last week I arranged to go out to lunch today with two friends. Unfortunately when we got to the restaurant I had no appetite at all so they tucked into a main course and a pud while I nust had a coffee. The waitress did give me two chocolates though.

grapefruitpip Wed 20-Nov-19 18:42:28

crystal tips and meat munchers......is there no middle way? surely?

suzette1613 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:42:53

We are eating later, just tea, toast and marmite for breakfast, but roast pheasant, peas and Mediterranean vegetables for dinner soon.
May have a hot chocolate (bad weather treat) before bedtime.

fizzers Wed 20-Nov-19 18:52:08

I made a sweet and sour chicken and mushroom stir fry at lunchtime. Cheese, beetroot, cucumber and tomato sandwich about 5.30pm, oh and a bag of crisps A hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows with chocolate powder early this morning whilst out shopping! apart from coffee, that will be me done for the day.