Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice please

(32 Posts)
murrec Wed 27-Nov-19 11:35:28

I have a 15 year old granddaughter who I love dearly. I worry about her constantly. I hate to say I find the way she dresses embarrassing. Skirts are obscenely short and tops are tiny. She is a very pretty girl but not slim but also not obese. I worry she will attract the wrong sort of attention. I would like very kindly to speak to her about it. I am at a loss as to know how I should approach the subject and in fact is it any of my business. Help please.

MylittleCherubs Thu 28-Nov-19 14:35:16

I’m new to gransnet and would like some help with a dilemma.
My daughter has 2 very small babies and the father after 10 yrs together has just decided he no longer wants to be in a relationship. This has only just happened and we are trying to support our daughter through this as she is still very young and she and our grandchildren have just moved back home with us. Reconciliation does not appear to be an option. The children are only age 18 months and 3 months and obviously this is very upsetting for her but she is committed to “ getting on with it” as her children are her priority.
Obviously I am helping a lot and luckily the babies are very good and sleep well.
We are in our early 50’s and both still work but our biggest problem is that our daughter wants to move her too large dogs in with us too and we are not against animals as we already have 2 small dogs of our own and a cat.

We have worked hard to have a lovely house and luckily it is big enough so my daughter and grandchildren will have a stable home. She will in time move into her own house but she needs help at the moment especially as they are so young.
My opinion of their father I am unable to post on here and frankly I don’t want to waste my breath on him BUT my daughter is in bits regarding leaving her dogs behind and as she has had these for years she is really upset and keeps saying they will be good , she will look after them and clean up their mess etc .... BUT we really don’t want them and she is struggling to accept that and thinks she can probably win us round.

He partner says he’s not having them either so the guilt trip is starting to happen ... But I don’t know how true this is - he will still be seeing the children ( well till that novelty wears off too ! )

Please has anyone any advise to help out daughter understand that it’s not practical for us to have the dogs as well as our own pets and although none of this is her fault we are struggling with adding to her stress by not having the dogs - she is still in hope that we will have them.

Thank you

Summerlove Thu 28-Nov-19 14:55:58

mylittlecherubs, You would likely get more advice by starting your own post, but I’m so sorry you have found yourself in this situation.

If you truly think you cannot cope with the dogs, you need to be very clear again with your daughter. Can you help her find somebody else where they can stay until she gets her self sorted?

endlessstrife Thu 28-Nov-19 14:58:11

It’s lovely that you can accommodate your little family, and it sounds like you want the best for them. They are very important, especially your little GC. As for the dogs...if you don’t want them, that’s your choice. Your daughter has to realise that you’re not obliged to do anything, but of course you’ll want to, they’re your family. When it comes to the dogs, it’s entirely different, and if you don’t want them, that’s your prerogative.

MylittleCherubs Thu 28-Nov-19 18:08:55

Thank you - I thought I’d done my own post so will try again

Naty Fri 29-Nov-19 01:44:48

This is not your business. She wont listen anyway. And she shouldn't. This is her parents' job.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Nov-19 04:42:27

Stay out of it she sounds perfectly normal
I wore skirts up my bum high white boots crocheted dresses (holey) and do you remember there was a fashion for see through blouses oh I cringe now at the thought

You need to start a new discussion mylittlecherub go into forum choose the sort of forum you want to use (Ask a gran) then click on ‘start new discussion’