Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mean Grandparents

(118 Posts)
MumofOne Wed 18-Dec-19 21:41:42

Hi,

This is my first ever post & I was really hoping to get some advice, regarding my parents and the way are with my daughter.

I'm 40 and have one child, my daughter who is 10. She is my parents only grandchild and this situation is unlikely to change.

Ever since she was born my parents never showed any interest in her, never came to visit, never babysat, never made an effort on birthdays/xmas etc...I have found this very hard to cope with over the years, but eventually after many years I accepted that they will never change and got on with my life, but as my daughter is getting older (she will be 11 in February) and I am finding it increasingly difficult to 'shield' her from this situation.

I always worry about this in the run up to xmas, but this year I can feel myself getting very down & anxious about it. On Monday my daughter was invited to a friends after school and the next day, she told me that her friend already had lots of presents under their tree and that apparently they were all from the child's grandparents. This made my heart sink, I'm not a materialistic person at all, we have always brought our daughter up to believe that Christmas is about family & we donate to the local foodbank & I consider myself very to be Eco conscious and we have brought my daughter a 2nd hand Fitbit and a 2nd hand Lego set as presents from ourselves this year, partly for costs reasons, but also I'm trying to be more environmentally aware, but despite this, when my daughter told me about her friends grandparents and that she had seen all of these presents, it really hurt & I could see the realisation over my daughters face, that her grandparents are 'different' and not in a particularly nice way. My parents don't make an effort at Christmas and all the time my daughter was young, she didn't fully realise this & we could 'brush it off' and so it didn't really have an impact, but she has grown up so much in the last year and I'm worried that this year I wont be able to hide their insensitivity. It is isn't just about money at all, the one present they do give to my daughter each year is often very thoughtless, for example last year they got my daughter a book but the book was in a series and they got her number 3 of 7, so it made no sense, unless you had read the other 2! The Christmas before, I asked if they could get her the greatest showman dvd as she loves this film and I knew it was only £10 in Tesco's at the time, so I felt safe to suggest this as it was fairly inexpensive, and they did actually buy it for her, but they decided not to give it to her as they wanted to 'hold it over for her birthday'?? K was gobsmacked. Instead they got some plastic gimmicky glasses which have just sat at the bottom of her cupboard ever since.

I wouldn't care if they didn't buy my daughter anything, but if they came around & played board games with her and interacted, this would be creating happy memories which she would remember, but they have never done this and I now dread their cheap and thoughtless present on Boxing Day.

My daughter isn't materialistic either, but obviously like any child she likes to receive presents! and we try to make it special for her, I just wondered if anyone has any advice on how to handle this issue I have never in my 10 years of parenting ever met someone else in the same situation and so have never had anyone to discuss this with. My husbands parents are both no longer with us, they passed many years ago and this seams to magnify the situation as my parents are her only grandparents.

Not that its at all relevant, but I just wanted to add, my parents are not in any sort of financial hardship, if they were I wouldn't want or expect them to get my daughter anything. They live very comfortably in a 4 bedroom house, both their parents are sadly deceased, one recently and they both inherited sizeable amount following this. I don't want this to be about money, but just wanted to illustrate how it is even harder for me to explain their apparent and I hate to use this word, but I cant this of anything else for it 'stingyness'.

If anyone could offer any advice on how to handle this or has had a similar experience I would be very grateful.

Thanks Bel xx

JMJACAE69 Sat 21-Dec-19 19:25:46

I’m sorry about your situation with your daughter. You must actually be a little stingy yourself buying second hand gifts.

notanan2 Sat 21-Dec-19 19:28:35

You must actually be a little stingy yourself buying second hand gifts.

What? Why?

Tigertooth Sat 21-Dec-19 19:35:31

I don’t think you need to explain anything to her - families are all different, and that’s ok.
She knows no different from them so it’s not a sudden change, put some extra little things under the tree, she won’t care who it’s from.

Seakay Sat 21-Dec-19 19:38:07

Why don't you ask your parents what they would like you to tell their granddaughter about them?

Tedber Sat 21-Dec-19 19:44:43

A bit judgemental JMJACAE6 We don't know the OP situation! I have done it myself when I couldn't afford new. I once bought a whole Barbie House, a 3 story affair complete with furniture, lots of various Barbies and Kens! It was like new and cost me a fraction of the price - well actually I couldn't have bought it new. Have also bought sparkling second hand bikes. One of their most favourite was one of the first nintendos. Hardly used. Nothing shameful or stingy in not being in a position to buy new.

Coolgran65 Sat 21-Dec-19 19:57:41

I agree with pp. If bulk up a little on your gifts. You could do fun but useful gifts. Not too expensive. My 11 year old dgg loved her pink electric mixer and now can make a cake easily following a recipe. Her hairdryer with sparkles. Fluffy slipper socks. Also Primark is great for a few items like pjs and tops, a handbag.

Phoebes Sat 21-Dec-19 21:26:05

I never got any gifts from my grandparents, but they used to put money away for me every year and I never wondered why
I didn’t get a present. I never even asked my parents about it, it never occurred to me. I don’t think my parents ever thought to tell me either, until I was much older. I just accepted that
I didn’t get a present from my grandparents.

mumofmadboys Sat 21-Dec-19 22:08:06

2 nd hand gifts are great for ecology reasons. JMJACA it is not stingy ,it is eminently sensible

JaneyMay Sun 22-Dec-19 01:42:49

Have you thought of ‘adopting’ a grandparent? There are lots of elderly people who feel isolated and lonely and would love to be involved in a family. Gifts aren’t necessarily important but spending time and showing and interest in your daughter’s life could benefit both sides.
In the meantime, don’t give up on your parents. Give them every opportunity to be involved - school sports days, concerts, outings etc. They may not change but you will have done the right thing. I really don’t think you should speak badly of them to your daughter, any chance of a better relationship could be lost if she is influenced by negative comments. I can understand how upsetting the situation is for you and I feel sorry that your parents are missing out on the joy of having grandchildren. However, you’re obviously a loving and caring Mum and that’s the most important thing in your child’s life.

notanan2 Sun 22-Dec-19 10:52:49

And secondhand is very fashionable.

And doesnt always cost less. New band teeshirt: £40, secondhand: £200

& much more in vogue than "new tat"

I saw a gift list recently that specified charity shop gifts only.

glammagran Sun 22-Dec-19 12:46:30

For some inexplicable reason my mother had 4 children but she was not a good mother. She never showed kindness or love, didn’t attend parents evenings and I was quite scared of her. She was even less interested in her grandchildren never babysat or chatted to them when she (very occasionally) visited. I am there always for youngest DGD (only one who lives close by) and it’s just lovely.

DS64till Sun 22-Dec-19 12:52:42

I grew up in a similar situation. I think honesty is the best policy. My Sister actually says “ Some people are meant to be Parents and Grandparents and some aren’t “ . My memories are of the issue being covered up when it’s painfully obvious it’s there. Maybe booking a treat and telling her Grandparents that you have included them too and it won’t work without their participation?

jo1book Sun 22-Dec-19 13:29:45

Do your parents know about inheritance tax and where will they leave their money? They must be wealthy after inheriting money and are in danger of giving the Gov. a sizeable amount, when it could go to family.
Personally, I can't stand meanness. My grandchildren get allowances; holidays as treats, school fees etc.. It gives me pleasure to treat them and for God's sake, you can't take it with you.

Kryptonite Sun 22-Dec-19 20:21:53

It seems really unnatural to me, especially when I think how besotted I am with my own GC. I think at least trying to be a good GP is the right and proper thing to do. Maybe you have some older friends who would love to be 'surrogate' grandparents. We had some friends who seemed to fulfil this role when my mother was being 'off' with us for an extended time and we lived some distance away. It was a nice, happy relationship, fulfilling a need on both sides.

Cabbie21 Sun 22-Dec-19 21:28:41

Every grandparent is different. It is not a competition.

I rather think my grandchildren’s other grandparents are exceedingly over-generous, which may make my gifts look minimal in comparison, but I am inclined to think the amount I spend is good enough. I am not mean. My grandchildren are over- indulged.
At least your parents do give gifts of some sort, even if they get it wrong. I would make a bit of a joke about it, rather than say something nasty.

Allie2 Mon 23-Dec-19 06:10:48

If your parents live close to you, maybe you can take your daughter round to her grandparent’s house? Maybe, try taking her over once every 2 weeks and spend some time with them. Is there something your mom can teach your daughter such as knitting? Or do a puzzle with your father? Have your daughter interact with some of their interests. Just a thought.

pauli0161 Thu 26-Dec-19 19:35:56

Oh such a shame really. As I was reading this was thinking how l would love a grandchild to spoil rotten! My husband and I share his step granddaughters but they're in Perth Australia! I often imagine taking my grandchildren to the artisan market or pantomime etc. Don't focus on the stingeyness they offer but instead help her by being extra kind and loving as you already do. Good luck!