Feeling confused about my emotions

(38 Posts)
Narnia Sun 29-Dec-19 23:06:03

Menu icon
GransnetInbox
Forums Chat

Gransnet Newsletter
Receive our latest news, conversations, competitions and giveaways

Hi, I am going to become a first time Gran imminently!
Me and my Daughter are extremely close, always have been. She's not lived at home now for a few years but lives close by so we see each other regularly and speak and text daily. Her partner has always been part of the family and welcomed.
Prior to her becoming pregnant we discovered that he had been having a long term affair. Nothing to do with their relationship just an easy ego boost and excitement for him.
Obviously she was devastated and it killed me to see her in so much pain and self doubt. I looked after her every day but never gave an opinion on what she should do.
His family kept a wide berth and said very little.
She decided to take him back, they were all very grateful and happy obv and for a while she was in control, he agreed to lots of changes etc.
She got pregnant quite quickly and it wasn't planned altho the baby is much loved and wanted.
His family have made her pregnancy miserable, almost like they are trying to "knock her down a peg or two"
They have been mean and aggressive both in person and by text. Told lies to create drama between my daughter and their son etc. She's been heartbroken very often, I've kept out of it, I've not challenged him or them to try to maintain the peace but it's been very hard!
He said I couldnt be at the birth, even tho my daughter wanted me to. Now I can but with "rules" on when I can go, what I can do and when I have to leave.
His family are now being super nice acting like nothing has happened and expecting her to do the same. And altho it's preferable to them being vile it grates on me!
I don't like how it's making me feel, I'm not a horrible person but I feel angry and jealous!
I feel like they don't deserve to have her or the baby they have given her so much pain.
She's going ahead with things to keep the peace and I think because she's just too tired to fight back!
It's almost like they are in control again now and I feel sidelined. Yet I feel ashamed of myself too, because they are also going to be grandparents!

Greciangirl Mon 30-Dec-19 14:24:33

I can’t fathom out why the in-laws are being horrible to your Dd when he is the one in the wrong.
It doesn’t make sense.

They sound a bit unhinged.
Have you any idea why they treat your Dd like that?

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Dec-19 15:11:38

CarlyD7 has some good advice about reassuring your daughter. She does need to know that you will always be there.

mumofmadboys Mon 30-Dec-19 15:28:32

I am surprised when you say his affair was nothing to do with their relationship and just an ego boost for him and a bit of excitement. I think it has a great deal to do with their relationship and is very, very worrying. I am sorry this pregnancy is proving less than happy for her and for you.

mumofmadboys Mon 30-Dec-19 15:30:34

I wonder if you would be better to leave the couple to just be the two of them for the delivery. It is SUCH a special time for a couple.

ReadyMeals Mon 30-Dec-19 15:46:10

Oh another one I am going to say the same thing. It's always a mistake to go back after having once decided to split up. If a problem couldn't be solved together in the first place, it won't have solved itself during the separation.

Narnia Mon 30-Dec-19 16:05:57

It does seem as if you are over involved in your daughter's life. I wonder if perhaps it's time to take a step back? Perhaps they will be able to make a go of it if they are left to sort things out for themselves?

Wow!
We have a mother and daughter, close loving relationship always have had. Not sure how me "stepping back" is the issue here.
I'm worrying and concerned for my daughters future and her relationship, how is that interference?
If I chose to do that then she would have left him months ago, if I had to give my opinion. She made her own decisions.
Similarly if I chose to "interfere" then I would have got involved when his family have reduced her to tears with their drama causing.

allsortsofbags Mon 30-Dec-19 16:56:54

First issue is you are not "confused about your emotions" you say you "feel angry and jealous". So that's the feelings clearly stated and it's OK to feel your feelings.

You can waste you time and energy telling yourself that "Your Feelings" make you a "horrible person" or you can own those feelings because you know that those feeling are directly related to what is happening in your DD's life.

I'm working on the assumption that your DD's treatment and situation is as you've stated.

If it helps I feel so angry when my DDs are treated badly that if I got the chance I would inflict physical damage on anyone who hurts them. I know lots of people will be unhappy that I wrote that but it's true, sadly these days I'm not as able to do it.

Several years ago I broke a guys nose in a market for slapping DD1 and I don't feel bad about it. Don't think he expected a woman with shopping bags to kick him in the face and brake his nose but my hands were full.

So I'm with you on the feeling angry but as for jealous I'm not sure about.

However, if you are of the opinion that her OH and his family have an inappropriate amount of influence and manipulation where your DD is concerned then I can understand you saying you feel jealous.

So are you jealous or are you "Scared" ?

Scared about the additional damage your DD may suffer from being in a relationship with this man and his family?

Are you also "Angry" with your DD? Angry with her for keeping herself in what seems like a TOXIC relationship ?

I understand that you are "Angry" about the treatment she has already 'Accepted" from this man and his family. Yes he and his family dished out the treatment ...

But by staying and continuing in the relationship your DD is "Accepting" the treatment they have already shown her AND she is also "Giving Permission" to him and his family to continue treating her badly as well as "Giving them Permission" to treat her even worse.

I'm guessing you sort of know these concepts even if you can't put them into the words I use.

If these are some of the things that are worrying you and upsetting your emotional balance that is most understandable.

Now what do you "DO"? AS most people have suggested there really isn't much you can "DO".

It is your DD life. These are her choices, and it's up to her what she chooses to so in the future.

Somehow we parents have to sit back on so many occasions and watch situations we know will leave our AC being hurt and hurting. How comfortable we are doing that depends on who we are, what's happening for us at the time and many, many other factors.

So if you are struggling to sit back and doing nothing (and not inflict harm on him and his family) I understand your frustrations.

Consider from now on talking to your DD in a different way. If it is possible say things like by staying you have "Given him and his family Permission" to treat you badly. Or put another way "Once people get away with bad behaviour they know they can treat you badly again".

One of the big things you can do is ASK your DD what outcome she wants from being with this man, his family once the baby is born. HOW does she think life will be for her and the baby and HOW likely is it that her life will be as she "thinks" will be.

IS there a POINT when his/their bad treatment will go beyond what she can cope with?

WHAT is her plan for that time?

Do you have a plan to help her if/when her world turns upside down?

Get a plan, where she'll live, how she'll pay for it, who'll look after the baby? Those sort of things.

And please do not even think the HE WILL be Reasonable, Pay, Be Kind, help with childcare or anything that is helpful. HE WON"T. KNOW this NOW, help your DD Know this NOW.

Get her to a Counsellor, into Women's Aid to talk to someone, or on there website.

If at all possible enable her to see that she is Very, Very unlikely to EVER have the life she thinks she will have with this man and his family.

Then IF she is happy with this Crappy life, really happy with her Crappy Treatment then you have to find a way to let her have her crappy life with this sh.. and get some counselling to help you cope with her choice.

Good Luck and I wish you, your DD and your soon to be DGC the very best of outcomes.

BlueBelle Mon 30-Dec-19 17:16:37

Well now I ve seen two threads and I ve answered on the other one I ll try and remember what I said
So so difficult for you to stand by and watch this unfold
Two people who make a baby should be together for the birth and not having mothers and mother in laws involved (in my opinion) so if I was you Id drop out of needing to be present it’s their time

Of course the affair was born out of their relationship being wrong surely you can see that You can not really believe that the relationship was good while he was with someone else leading a double life
A big mistake in my opinion to take him back but she’s done what she’s done so all you can do is be there for her if and when he does it again and be very aware he may well do as he’s got away with it once and been forgiven
It’s a shame an innocent baby has been brought into this equation but it has so i truly hope that pulls them together and she gets the little family she wants and of course deserves

Narnia Mon 30-Dec-19 17:32:16

Allsortsofbags
That reply prob nails or on the head!
I'm prob frustrated as I feel my hands are tied in relation to challenging all of them on how they chose to treat her now,and yes I feel I could do damage!

Narnia Mon 30-Dec-19 19:34:49

Bluebelle
I don't "need" to be present neither have I "demanded" it!
My Daughter wants me to be there, always has done even before she was pregnant! As I've said, I'm happy to take what I'm offered, I'm the one walking on eggshells around him, not the other way around.

Joplin Mon 30-Dec-19 19:40:21

Bide your time - the situation could very much change after the toddler stage - her partner might not be so interested. My daughter's partner also had " rules " for me. Fastforward a few years & he resented the attention, etc. given to his daughter & eventually was off, finding a childless woman quite happy to give him all the attention he seeked. Very difficult for my daughter, as well as my granddaughter but they are so much more relaxed & happy now. Situations can change when you least expect them to. Good luck.

icanhandthemback Mon 30-Dec-19 20:26:30

I rarely disagree with the sensible advice Bluebelle gives but on this occasion, I think she is wrong to say for you not to be there at the birth at this time. I think that is a decision your daughter must make and one you will probably need to play by ear. There are always ways you can take a step backward if you think your daughter will prefer you to. I was wanted at the birth with my DIL's child but there were lots of times when I thought they needed their privacy so I took a step backwards. She got whipped of for a CS in the end so there wasn't room for me anyway. Hopefully so you will have the sensitivity to know what is best for your daughter and I would certainly let her know that you will abide with whatever she wants giving her the option to change her mind.
There is not much you can do about the relationship per other than to quietly support your daughter. It sounds like the relationship is precarious but she is bound to feel very vulnerable at the moment. My relationship was grinding to a halt when I was pregnant with my first child, repaired a little after the birth before crumbling completely. Deep down I knew it would never work but whilst pregnant I couldn't imagine how I would cope without him. Then the gratitude for the beautiful child he'd given me meant that I was able to overlook certain aspects of his behaviour. Once I'd got into my stride with motherhood I was far more able to make a rational call about the relationship. It might well be your daughter is going through the same thing.