Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What time do you go to bed?

(115 Posts)
Fennel Mon 20-Jan-20 19:24:27

I'm beginning to think that I've got days and nights mixed up.
Especially during these short winter days.
Thank God I've still got a husband and he goes out every morning before 7am and we get up around 5-6 in preparation.
So by now I'm thinking of having supper of toast and jam and going to bed. We have our main meal at lunchtime.
I do read in bed for an hour or so.
Are we abnormal?

Ninarosa Mon 20-Jan-20 21:12:19

When it reaches 5 pm I'm champing at the bit to get my husbands tea done and dusted. Sit with him for 20 minutes just to be sociable, then fill my hottie,make a cup of tea and take both to bed. If I'm not in bed by 6 o'clock I'm miserable. I then read, look at messenger, plan weekends away, look at working week ahead and sometimes even go back downstairs for a slice of toast. I'm definitely bed fond.

Tedber Mon 20-Jan-20 21:26:22

Namsnanny My bed is 11 years old and is a memo form king size bed purchased from Bensons for Beds BUT just a word of caution. My husband and I absolutely LOVE IT but my daughter and husband didn't like it at all - no idea why not but am guessing it is very much subjective. If you like a firm bed then I am thinking a memo form bed which moulds to your shape is not for you.

I think you really need to do as the advert says....try it out. I used to love firm mattresses but now I don't so it suits me. When I go anywhere with other mattresses is I find it hard to adapt.

rosenoir Mon 20-Jan-20 21:55:06

Bed at 12.30 read until 2.30 up at 9.30ish.

gmarie Mon 20-Jan-20 22:35:47

Same here, 52bright. I go to bed at 1 or 2 a.m. and get up around 9 or so. I always feel like I'm missing something if I go to bed early and love sleeping in so it's been a win-win since retirement. It does make for short daylight hours, however, so I've been trying to get to bed by midnight. So far, have not managed to do it consistently.

You all are just getting up as I'm winding down. I live alone and discovered Gransnet one night when I was unable to sleep and feeling a need to connect with other human beings. I often get caught up in a few threads, reading dozens, if not hundreds of comments! grin

Oopsminty Mon 20-Jan-20 22:42:37

I'm like you, gmarie

Always been a night owl

Sadly, I am awake at about 7am though!

I'd love to sleep in until 9

I've tried to go earlier but it just doesn't work

Too old to change now!

Buffybee Mon 20-Jan-20 23:04:57

I don't have a regular time for bed so it can be any time between 11.00 and 12.30
Up between 7 and 8 depending on how late I went to bed.
I've never been able to go to bed early and hate getting up early.

Sussexborn Tue 21-Jan-20 00:59:16

Much too late! OH usually disappears around 11pm and somehow time speeds up and next thing I know it is the early hours of the morning. Every time I convince myself I will be more sensible tomorrow but it never seems to happen! I actually quite enjoy the quietness but struggle when I have to get up early for an appointment. I think I must be nocturnal!

hollysteers Tue 21-Jan-20 01:17:10

I really need to sort myself out sleep wise and you are not abnormal! If I don’t have an appointment in the morning I can stay up practically all night, I love the nighttime, tv, reading etc. BUT what a mess it makes of the following day and I depress myself so much I go back to bed!
My husband died three years ago and I don’t work at home any longer, although I have loads to sort out. I do think it’s partly depression, or as I like to call it, low spirits, as I enter a trough and can’t seem to get out...

BBbevan Tue 21-Jan-20 05:38:12

Well I am not a night owl, just the opposite. I have been known to go to bed at 9o'clock. Read for an hour or so. Nearly always awake by six. This is a throw back to when I was teaching. I liked to get to schooll by 7:30 to get everything ready. Then I didn't have to stay long after school, and could be home for the children This worked very well and I suppose is a habit now.

TwiceAsNice Tue 21-Jan-20 06:32:12

I go to bed varying times any time between 9-30 and 11-30. Earlier on the two days I still work as the alarm goes off then at 5-30. Always read or look at Gransnet before I sleep. According to what I need to do that day I’m up between 5-30 and 9am . Most days I go back to bed with a cup of tea before I shower to start the day

SirChenjin Tue 21-Jan-20 08:21:56

Bed at 10.30/11, read for half and hour, then up at 6.30. I’ll normally wake up a couple of times through the night and I’m usually awake before the alarm. I always feel like I need more sleep.

Hetty58 Tue 21-Jan-20 09:23:34

'Are we abnormal?' There is no normal. I usually sleep from about midnight to six. If I have an afternoon nap, however, I can be awake at four thirty - but who cares, I'm retired!

harrigran Tue 21-Jan-20 09:37:19

Retire to bed at 00.30 -1.00, read a chapter of my book and wake between 7.30 and 8.30. If I have a disturbed night I may lie a little longer.

polnan Tue 21-Jan-20 10:06:34

Are you abnormal? LOL what is normal? if you are not the same as everyone else,, o.k. who is?

Mapleleaf Tue 21-Jan-20 10:07:29

It varies with me, but on the whole I tend to go to bed between 10.30/11 pm, and usually read for a while - this can vary from just 10 minutes reading to a couple of hours!
I tend to wake around 8.30, but set the alarm if I need to be up and about earlier (like today, for example).
So, I don't think there's a "normal" as such, but rather we settle to routines that suit us.

Twopence Tue 21-Jan-20 10:14:16

Bed about 8.30pm, then read for a bit. Morning cuppa at 5am, when the cat joins us. Up at 6am.

sazz1 Tue 21-Jan-20 10:18:54

Bed around 1-2 am then up around 9-10. I'm a night owl.

Greyduster Tue 21-Jan-20 10:20:49

Not usually any later than ten thirty, then I read a book to wind down. It’s unusual for me not to have to get up in the night, which is why I hate staying with people - even family. They can do without two old fogies clattering about in the middle of the night! I’m usually lucky enough to get back to sleep straight away, but sometimes things just come crowding in and you’ve had it for sleep.

essjay Tue 21-Jan-20 10:26:12

bikergran am so with you. i tend to go bed quite early, quite often in bed by 7, thought i was odd, but find it much more comfortable as i also tire easily nowadays. i am up early 5 days a week for work and grandchild minding so the 2 days am not up early are heavenly. am looking forward to not be ruled by the clock!

henetha Tue 21-Jan-20 10:33:08

I get ready for bed about 11 ish, then read or play games on my phone for an hour or so. I'm always up before 8 in the morning, can't see any point in getting up earlier these days.

HillyN Tue 21-Jan-20 10:46:28

Another night owl here. If I have nothing to get up for next day then I don't get to bed until around 1a.m. and wake around 9a.m. If I do have to be out earlier then I set an alarm for 8- 8.30a.m. and make an effort to get to bed before midnight.

optimist Tue 21-Jan-20 10:46:43

Most evenings I start preparing for bed around 8.30 pm and am in bed by 9 pm then I read or listen to podcasts until around 10 pm. Suits me.

Lupin Tue 21-Jan-20 10:50:26

Relax, and do what your lifestyle will allow you to do. Do what is normal for you.
I feel I'm turning back into a teenager - going to bed in the early hours and getting up late - because I can.

Mollyplop Tue 21-Jan-20 10:50:41

I'm normally in bed between 8 and 8.30 and read for an hour in the winter. I'm up 5.30 - 6 am. I too LOVE my bed. I've got a 12 cm deep duck down topper and it's so snuggly.

rowanflower0 Tue 21-Jan-20 10:54:15

I usually go up at about ten, leaving my other half to watch the news - either doom and gloom or brexit or Megangate, and of no interest, but then I read my kindle in bed, often to midnight or beyond. I don't get up until 8:30 or 9. We all sleep around the different timetables of life - there is no 'normal'.