Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What time do you go to bed?

(115 Posts)
Fennel Mon 20-Jan-20 19:24:27

I'm beginning to think that I've got days and nights mixed up.
Especially during these short winter days.
Thank God I've still got a husband and he goes out every morning before 7am and we get up around 5-6 in preparation.
So by now I'm thinking of having supper of toast and jam and going to bed. We have our main meal at lunchtime.
I do read in bed for an hour or so.
Are we abnormal?

Fennel Tue 21-Jan-20 16:49:53

Those of you who stay up late - how do you pass the time?
I get bored with TV, too tired to work, there's a limit to how much reading I can do.
When younger I went out in the evenings to night classes, or visiting, and we went to bridge club twice a week for a few years.

SalsaQueen Tue 21-Jan-20 17:22:15

On work days I get up at 6.45, so I tend to go to bed at 10.30-11pm.

On Fridays and Saturdays, I go to bed at about 12.30pm, and get up at about 8 in the mornings.

Ohmother Tue 21-Jan-20 17:42:19

I involuntary begin to nod off at 9ish. Just when the decent programmes come on telly!!!

4allweknow Tue 21-Jan-20 18:20:46

Midnight generally for me then I read for about and hour. I am a terrible sleeper eyes usually pop open a couple of times before 6 am then I try to have a few extra winks but usually end up reading. Up about 8 am usually.

TerriBull Tue 21-Jan-20 18:58:27

Usually between 10 and 10.15 depending what's on the news. We both read for a while anything between 10 minutes and 45 depending how tired we are. Quite often I will read for longer, as I find myself getting a second wind having fallen asleep watching something around 9 pm. If I have a good night's sleep as opposed to a tossing and turning one, I'll go through to 6.30 ish, then one of us will get up at 7 and go and make the coffee.

eilys Tue 21-Jan-20 19:00:03

These are my hours too

lemongrove Tue 21-Jan-20 19:21:56

Whenever I like! The main advantage of being retired,
No set time, but never before 9 pm unless ill.So it varies, if feeling tired I go early, if not late, or very late.If I am immersed in a film, often after midnight.
Never get up late though, around 7.30 seems the usual.

Phoebes Tue 21-Jan-20 21:47:00

Usually we watch,TV until about 11pm and then go to bed. I read for a bit then put out the light around midnight. My husband usually drops off before I finish reading.
I would like to sleep until the alarm goes off at 7.30, when my husband gets up to feed the cats, who would would be most put out if they didn’t get their breakfast on time.
Usually we both wake up around 6 to 6.30am so I suppose we must be getting enough sleep or we would go on sleeping until the alarm goes off.
I get a lovely cup of tea in bed with a biscuit every morning and then we read the paper in bed. What time we get up depends on whether we have anything particular happening in the morning.

grannybuy Tue 21-Jan-20 22:51:45

I'm rarely in bed before midnight. I could sleep between 6.00 and 7.00 pm, though I rarely do. I get past the tiredness, and have a new lease of life nearer 10.00. I am more ' creative' late at night. I used to prepare for school, when teaching, often writing plans or reports till after midnight. I would sometimes write letters or even poetry at midnight. I always had better ideas late at night. I got up at 6.30. Now that I'm retired, I'm often still up tillmidnight or after. If I'm going somewhere, I'll set the alarm, but if not, I might sleep till 9.00 ish. When my children were young, I did things like ironing and washing the kitchen floor late at night.

Baguette123 Tue 21-Jan-20 23:44:51

We are all so different with our bedtimes. Personally I hate mornings but find it hard to sleep before midnight unless I’m unwell. I’ve received a lot of flack in my lifetime over my zombie like status in the morning but as I’m no longer working I can please myself. When I do have to get up early for an appointment it feels wrong, very wrong. Do whatever suits you and whoever you live with. It’s your natural rhythm and best for you to stick to it.

paddyanne Tue 21-Jan-20 23:54:09

Most nights if we dont have work in the morning its 2am or later and we get up around 10.On nights before work its 12 ish .We listen to music and chat ...a lot.Put the world to rights ,sometimes my OH will do jobs around the house he didn't get round to like shampooing carpets or painting radiators .I never get bored and will happily make batches of scones at midnight or clean the cooker hood ..as you do.We've always been night owls as our work was long days and unless you sat up late you felt as if you had no down time at all

Oopsminty Wed 22-Jan-20 00:17:07

That sounds lovely paddyanne

My OH is in bed by 10

I'm the night owl

But there is something special about being up in the early hours

It's peaceful and I love it

callgirl1 Wed 22-Jan-20 00:27:26

I mostly go to bed around 1 am, never before midnight, and I get up at 8 am. I don`t go earlier, even though I`m really tired, because the earlier I go to bed, the more times I have to get up for a wee, usually 3 or 4 times a night. I`d love the luxury of a lie in, but have to be up before my daughter`s carer arrives.

Brigidsdaughter Wed 22-Jan-20 00:44:03

I'm an owl by nature, always was. Struggled in the mornings all my life but discipline got me out of bed, don't know what refreshed feels like I ho to bed at various times, rarely before 11pm. I enjoy the headspace if others in bed. Then I read. Rarely up before 10 30. If I'm awake early I lie in relaxing, coming to! If I have an early morning appt it really disrupts my sleep as I'm on edge

Candelle Wed 22-Jan-20 00:45:13

Glad to see that there are a few owls around!

We go up anytime from midnight to 1.00 am. The various bedtime routines take a minimum of 20 minutes then it's winding down with a good book for half an hour or so, so approximately 2.00 am is 'sleepytime'.

I am a rotten sleeper (but Mr C is extremely annoying with him being comatose within 15 seconds, grrrrrr) so may still be awake several hours later.

I wake about 9.00 am, knowing I should rise but sometimes have a bit of a snooze (depending on length of overnight sleep).

I usually doze off watching the box at about 9.00 pm but only for ten minutes, then I am 'good to go' again.

We are all different and there is no right or wrong way to sleep. Whatever suits is right.

Sawsage2 Wed 22-Jan-20 01:12:55

Bed 1-2am. Up around 10am. Always been like this so hated starting work at 8am

Joplin Wed 22-Jan-20 02:31:22

Oh dear - it seems I'm more of a night owl than any of you. I'm trying to do something about it but it's getting worse. I've always had to stay up late, from the age of 7, when I needed to listen for my parents rowing & had to rush in to their bedroom to stop them. College days in London, with many late nights if I was lucky enough to get a practice room ( piano) meant I'd get back & to bed between 2-3 am. I've never gone to bed before 3 but now it's between 4 - 4.30 am. For many reasons, pain being one of them as it hurts so much to lie down & I doze rather than sleep. Also feel safer when I'm awake. It's amazing what you can get used to but I wish I could change it. I don't seem to fit in with the rest of the world. ?

Candelle Wed 22-Jan-20 11:15:19

Joplin, I am so sorry to read your entry. I think that if I let myself, I, too, could not be ready for bed before 3-4.00 am.

Although I try to make myself go up 'early' (1-2.00 am) I am frequently awake until the very small hours too, as pain is also often a factor for me. Only when it is often becoming light am I tired enough to slip into a few hours of slumber.

What is most annoying are the articles in the newspapers regarding sleep: ' you'll die early if you don't receive enough' etc. Fine and probably true but what are we to do about it?!

I started a 'Sleepio' course (find it online) but have yet to complete the course (my fault, although I do intend to do so). I think the precepts of the course are sound but they cannot help if pain is the problem.

I guess we'll just plod on and pop our clogs early (sigh)...

paddyanne Wed 22-Jan-20 11:25:17

Joplin I'm sorry about your pain issues.my lovely daughter also cant sleep because of pain and sometimes we;ll "chat" on FB until 4 or 5 or on Sunday 7.30 am .She gets her kids fed and then tries to sleep until they come in from school.Its not good and she only managed to get out of the house 19 days last year.As I hope for her I hope you'll get some relief from your chronic pain .It rules her life and I'm sure you must feel the same.Best Wishes x

vampirequeen Wed 22-Jan-20 13:36:46

It depends on the season. When the nights are longer I sleep more. When the days are shorter I sleep less. Atm we tend to go to bed about 8.30. DH then gets up around 5am because he's had enough sleep. He wakes me up at around 7.30am otherwise I'd sleep on until 10ish. But in summer we go to bed later and I naturally wake up around 6am.

Evie64 Wed 22-Jan-20 18:27:55

I am, and have always been, a night owl. Like others on here I go to bed about 1am and read for an hour or so and then sleep until about 9am. Suits me and DH

Fennel Wed 22-Jan-20 18:38:26

Joplin - very sorry to hear about your pain and lack of sleep.
It puts my problems into perspective.
Though I don't always spend all my time in bed asleep, but I'm still resting.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 22-Jan-20 18:42:28

I could sleep for Britain, always been the same even as a kid. Mr B and I go to bed after the news at 10. Luckily we are both the same and we seem to sleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow. I might get up once during the night for the loo but not always and then it straight back to sleep. At the moment I am sleeping until about 8.30 to 9.00. Mr B gets up earlier about 8.00 when the water an heating comes on. I wake up earlier during the lighter mornings.

grannymy Wed 22-Jan-20 18:46:09

I go to be around 9ish and watch some stuff on my tablet. I gradually drift off to sleep, often with it in my hand! They say such things are a bad in bed but it doesn't bother me. Sometimes it's the only way I can catch up with programmes. I get up around 6.30 - 7 a.m.

Daisyboots Sat 25-Jan-20 20:12:53

Now we are retired and neither in particularly good health. He has PTSD and me cancer so I think we must spend more time in bed than most of you. Depending if there is something we want to watch on TV (we can only watching UK TV through the internet which doesn't always work well) we go up to bed between 8 and 10pm but dont go to sleep much before 11.30 to midnight. I might need to go to the bathroom in the night but am usually straight back to sleep. Except for Thursday, when our cleaner comes so we have to be up at 8am, we rarely wake or rise before 10am or later. The other day he was feeling down he slept for 13 hours but did feel better for it. I have blood tests at the hospital at 8.30am this coming Friday so will have to be up for 7am. Horrible!! My eldest DD and SIL are visiting for 4 nights next month so we will have to revert to a more normal timetable.
Roll on the longer days when you dont feel so much like hibernating.

Joplin I am so sorry to hear about your pain and lack of sleep. For me bed is where I have less pain and I can take off the horrible full length back brace which is very uncomfortable to wear.