Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Covid italian mother-in-law

(83 Posts)
Naty Fri 13-Mar-20 03:48:15

Ignore the title. It's just a way for me to get people to read this...

Hi everyone! I posted about my italian in-laws coming over unannounced and asked them to stop kissing my baby.

I was both torn apart and supported on these threads...now I'm back to update you all yet again to implore you all to take things very seriously.

I am now in Canada with our baby for a planned trip, booked before the rampant outbreak. I will not be flying back until things settle.

Please please take heed: the situation in Italy is dire.

Socially isolate as much as possible. Don't mix with people. Wash your hands. Stay inside.

All of our friends and family in Italy are fine, but they cannot go outside or visit people. They cannot travel. They cannot see their grandkids. Grandchildren can be asymptomatic carriers and kill their grandparents. 2 week incubation period. Old people are more susceptible. There arent enough respirators for everyone and the doctors have to choose between who to save and who not to. This is NOT fake news! Please, I implore you to socially distance yourselves.

Canada has announced 3 weeks off of school, but they are saying it's an extension of our march break so that people don't panic.

Please stay safe!

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 16:16:57

I don't think it was a plot BUT Dominic Cummings was prepared to let the uk elderly die.

And OF COURSE the uk should have been preparing earlier.

And WHY aren't our NHS staff in hazmats? No stock. No preparation.

MawB Mon 23-Mar-20 16:42:07

^GagaJo Mon 02-Dec-19 17:58:40
Gfplux, I'm off to Switzerland for 6 months and then China for the foreseeable. The pollution in China puts me off a bit but I have very good friends there so^

....20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 17:04:45

All of that is still in place. Working remotely for my Swiss school and going to China in August. Mortgage and bills getting paid.

But feel free to spend time searching my myriad of old posts from 3 1/2 months ago to prove me wrong. I won't be returning the favour. Not interested enough.

pinkquartz Mon 23-Mar-20 18:58:04

grin

there are NO excuses for our bumbling PM and Govt.

They behaved as of we were immune. They are stupid and arrogant.

How pathetic to call out Gagqjo on her plans.
I doubt Johnson has any plans on anything, just more of his bumbling and what was that word? Spaffing to do!

Hetty58 Mon 23-Mar-20 19:36:49

Without testing, confirmed case figures will be low.

Naty Sat 28-Mar-20 15:10:05

I hope April brings better news for everyone. Sending everyone the best.

Hugs during this trying time.

Summerlove Sat 28-Mar-20 21:49:55

Thank you Naty, you as well