Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can someone explain from the dog owning world?

(62 Posts)
Toadinthehole Tue 31-Mar-20 16:56:35

I’m usually a lurker, and haven’t really ventured ‘ out ‘ much, but this just incenses me, and I wondered if there is a valid explanation. We went for a walk this afternoon in the woods/fields at the back of us. I took my litter stick as I occasionally do. Why do people put their dog poo in bags and tie them or throw them on/into trees? Am I missing something? Not ever having had a dog, only as a child, I thought someone may know. Just to clarify, they don’t appear to be compostable bags, which wouldn’t be quite as bad. Most are clearly in ordinary bags.

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 16:21:48

I have to say that rogue surprised me too - round here it feels a like a lot more than 25%. Probably just the same few offenders leaving their bags or dog poo on the paths which then build up over time.

SirChenjin Wed 01-Apr-20 16:22:03

Rogue? Figure!

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 16:42:07

About half the houses here have a dog. I suppose, in built up areas with many flats, they are rare.

It's the same people who regularly don't pick up (often late evening walkers - men - sorry, but true) or dump bags.

There's a daily new addition on the verge at the corner of our road. It's always a yellow bag.

Somebody with a very large dog thinks it's fine to leave droppings in the private road to our garages, too. Cars run over the mess and trail it everywhere!

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 23:20:06

I think certain towns have a lot more dogs than others. I've lived in a town where I very rarely saw a dog walker and also in a town where they seem to be everywhere. They were similar sized towns but the type of people living there were very different.

BBbevan Thu 02-Apr-20 02:53:45

We went for a walk yesterday and counted 14 dog poo bags in various places. Hanging on gates, on walls, in the bushes. These dog owners are lazy s-ds. Yuk.

Toadinthehole Thu 02-Apr-20 09:44:57

Oh yuk, that is gross BBbevan, I feel insignificant now, only having counted about five bags! Thank you for all your responses, I’ve enjoyed reading them all, and makes me feel better, in that it’s not just our neighbourhood. Have to keep picking them up I suppose?.

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 10:10:39

That is disgraceful. As a dog owner I would never do this and neither would any other dog owner I know.

But sadly, there is always the odd one. Rather then suggest there are ‘far, far too many irresponsible dog owners’ I suggest it’s like any other group of people, and you will get those who give others a bad name.

Also it’s quite likely it’s the same person doing it every day.

BBbevan Thu 02-Apr-20 15:38:14

I think it is not “the odd one” Pikachu. We went for a different walk this morning. Quite a few poo bags lying around.

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 15:44:27

Ok so your new route has a rogue dog owner too. Of course it might be something to do with where you live.

Our area is very well supplied with dog litter bins.

Labaik Fri 03-Apr-20 14:20:54

Local police [on top of having to ask dog owners to keep their dogs away from sheep due to it being lambing season] are now having to ask people not to let their dogs run across crop fields. This on top of [not related to dogs, I know] a local country park closing it's car park only to have people driving for miles and parking dangerously on the road and sewers being blocked because of people flushing wet wipes, tissues and kitchen roll down their toilets makes me glad I'm self isolating and staying at home. What is wrong with people? Oh, and the police say people aren't picking up their dog poo, either; I guess they think, if they walk the dog away from their usual area the rules no longer apply [sigh].

Chestnut Fri 03-Apr-20 14:35:10

Are these the same idiots who stockpile? And the same idiots who are apparently dumping extraordinary amounts of rubbish in various places because the tips are closed? There seems to be a lot of people who are total morons and don't consider either their environment or other people at all. They are either grossly stupid or grossly selfish.