Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for dinner?

(199 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 22-Apr-20 14:58:35

I'm looking for inspiration and do like to know what the nation is eating! smile

ninathenana Thu 07-May-20 17:21:11

Pork chops, oven chips and peas tonight.

I buy my meatballs from our local family butcher. Yum

Riverwalk Thu 07-May-20 17:22:47

Yes plenty Kitty but I want to go somewhere, sit down and be served!

ginny Thu 07-May-20 17:32:40

Last night was Chicken and Mushroom fricasee. Tonight is Sausage and Bean casserole. Both very tasty SlimmingWorld recipes.

Riverwalk Thu 07-May-20 17:33:42

Phoenix that's a lovely looking pie! Pleases send a pic of it cooked and cut open smile

I don't make pies - in fact not sure if I ever have! shock

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 17:41:04

Will do, Riverwalk and thanks for the compliment!

(Confession, I do actually cheat a bit with this one, however my roast chicken pie is almost cheat free wink)

rosecarmel Thu 07-May-20 18:16:59

Pot roast and gravy sandwich with carrots and onion on roasted garlic covered baguette ..

Witzend Thu 07-May-20 18:27:24

A lot of Japanese dumplings - chicken and veg and just veg - 2 half used packets left in the freezer by a Singaporean niece who until recently was staying with us for half terms and exeat weekends.
It says to simmer for 3 1/2 mins so ?they’ll be v nice.
Shall do a big stir fry of various veggies to go with them.

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 18:40:45

Right then, as requested by Riverwalk !

May7 Thu 07-May-20 19:03:43

Vegetables korma tonight but extra specially hot. DH cooked and is liberal with chilli. Bread and butter pudding c/o Gransnetters. It was delicious

JuliaM Thu 07-May-20 19:09:08

Local Butchers Sausages with Mash, steamed mixed veg out of the freezer, and rich onion gravy. The Sausages are very nice and meaty, I will definately buy some more on my next months meat order for the freezer. He does a very nice Huntsman' s Pie too!

TerriBull Thu 07-May-20 19:10:35

Chilli, ginger and lime chicken breast fillets, courtesy of a Tesco delivery yesterday. Accompanied by roast potatoes, broccoli and Chantenay carrots, stumpy fat and small but the only ones available!

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 19:13:02

Chantenay carrots are lovely, TerriBull great flavour!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-May-20 19:13:16

Can’t be assed day today so cheese omelet and left over apple pie and cold custard.

Home made Fish soup for lunch (left over)

Porridge for breakfast

And chocolate left by my delivery man by mistake which could not be taken back (health reasons) ???. So free chocolate, tea, ginger beer, softener, crumpets, bread and eggs plus other stuff. How lucky is that?

Puzzler61 Thu 07-May-20 19:18:19

Cor Phoenix that pie looks delicious! And so professional .
I’m be proud if I could turn one out like that. Enjoy ?

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 19:27:46

Thanks Puzzler61 grin as mentioned, I do cheat a bit with the chicken and mushroom one, but usually turns out ok!

Riverwalk Fri 08-May-20 05:42:28

Ooh, the pie looks delish!

Chantenay carrots are my favourite type

And chocolate left by my delivery man by mistake which could not be taken back (health reasons) ???. So free chocolate, tea, ginger beer, softener, crumpets, bread and eggs plus other stuff. How lucky is that?

Lucky indeed Whitewave !

BradfordLass73 Fri 08-May-20 07:52:01

I don't think it will inspire you riverwalk but I had mashed potato, mashed carrot/swede and lightly cooked cabbage.

I'd made a puree of spinach and this, with a little Oxo gravy, was poured over the other veg.

It probably sounds revolting to people who eat proper meals but it was absolutely delicious.

Alishka Fri 08-May-20 12:50:33

Bloody hell, Riverwalk, you lucked out!all I got as a mistaken delivery was a ginormous, well,3.5kg, bag of tats. And I don't really eat potatoesshockgrin

Alishka Fri 08-May-20 12:52:22

Sorry, that should have been for Whitewave

Alishka Fri 08-May-20 12:56:19

Listen (or look even) this old laptop is jumping all over the place (more than I can do..grrrr) so, for whoever got CHOCOLATE, I'm deeply envious, OK?grin

Callistemon Fri 08-May-20 13:01:47

As I couldn't get out to buy DH a birthday present I ordered a gift which included chocolate.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise that it was very very dark chocolate which he doesn't like.
sad
Looks like I will have to scoff it all.

merlotgran Fri 08-May-20 15:27:54

Lemon Drizzle cake for tea so dinner will be a bit later. We don't normally eat anything in the afternoons.

I was going to do Spag Bol but at the last minute thought, being VE Day we should have something traditionally British so thankfully there was a lamb hotpot in the freezer that I made with the left overs from Easter Sunday lunch.

Puzzler61 Fri 08-May-20 15:34:39

We had lemon drizzle too Merlotgran when we toasted the War Veterans at 3 o’clock, with a glass of chilled white wine ?

Tea about 6.30 pm will be grilled Chicken with mushroom and thyme cream sauce, green beans and creamed potatoes.

As it’s the start of the weekend a rhubarb gin and tonic will be in order ?

Have a good evening all gn’s.

Riverwalk Sat 09-May-20 16:18:42

Planning to jazz up a salmon fillet or a have a toasted bacon sarnie, with brown sauce.

I'm losing my culinary mojo grin

Rosalyn69 Sat 09-May-20 16:28:55

Thai night courtesy of Waitrose followed by passion fruit and coconut ice cream.
Is chocolate hard to get then?