Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Husband not seeing red traffic lights

(65 Posts)
Lollypolly Fri 15-May-20 10:52:44

My husband is 68 reasonably good health, had 3 stents 4 years ago and no problems since then. Over the past 6 months I have noticed that he is failing to see traffic signals when they are red. I have to shout at him to stop. He goes all quiet and won't discuss. It really beginning to worry me. What should I do?

agnurse Sat 16-May-20 22:24:35

Keep in mind that in most cases you aren't leaving them with no option to get out. There are taxis, buses, Uber, Lyft, trains, etc.

"But that costs money!"

Yes, but so do petrol, vehicle maintenance, road tax, insurance, inspection costs - it all adds up. You can take a lot of trips for that money.

welbeck Sat 16-May-20 23:44:21

you are playing russian roulette with other people's lives.

Shropshirelass Sun 17-May-20 09:21:23

It could be cataracts, he needs an urgent eye test and shouldn't drive until then.

Luckygirl Sun 17-May-20 10:23:41

Heavens above! - are you seriously letting this man drive a car!?

Let us hope it is not your child/GC/friend whom he mows down.

Please deal with this. I know it is hard. My OH had PD and wanted desperately to drive but I just said no way! I would do all the driving - which he hated - and in the end he forfeited his licence. I felt a heel - heaven knows he had lost so much and this was just rubbing salt in the wound, but no way could I let him put anyone at risk.

FarNorth Sun 17-May-20 10:27:48

No-one should feel bad about taking away the very likely chance of someone being severely injured or killed.

It could be the person you are concerned about who comes to harm, so you are protecting them and others.

Redhead56 Sun 17-May-20 10:39:38

Is he diabetic as this can affect eyesight. My husband is recently I have noticed when watching tv he can not read subtitles. He has only just had eye tests and new glasses. I suggested too him he did not disclose the problem to the optician. I got shouted at for stating the obvious of course. Some people (careful what I say here) just don't like to admit to a weakness. I don't want be accused of being sexist ! I have not noticed a problem when he is driving . I would be the first to say if I did.

Flygirl Sun 17-May-20 18:04:19

Far North and Hithere.
I think you still missed the whole point of my post. My poor mother did not feel strong enough, emotionally or physically, to just "take away my father's keys". The fallout from doing that would have made her life with him sheer hell. Hell...she didn't even have the strength to refuse to be a passenger in the car. If you had known my father, you'd understand why. No, you are right, nobody should be made to feel bad about saving lives. In reality I'm afraid it really is sometimes not that simple when emotions are involved. Yes, of course we knew we had to act. Yes, I DID swing into action after I received her letter for help. No, I didn't get any support from authorities who told me they couldn't act until there was an accident. Yes, I did the right thing by informing the DVLA, having exhausted all possibilities of somebody else in authority having a gentle and quiet word with him. He disregarded anything his family would have to say. Yes, of course I had to do it! BUT ..make no mistake, we DID feel bad. Mentally he crumbled, and was never the same, but in the end it was his decision to hang up his keys when the DVLA wrote to him asking him to attend aan independent medical that he knew he wouldn't pass. The stroke didn't kill him, but his deterioration was marked. However the outcome was "good" and there was obviously relief from mum, but I cannot say, hand on heart, that what I had to do to achieve that outcome (i.e. lie to him) sits completely comfortable with me. There should certainly be more power/support for people put in that position to help steer the inevitable decision in the right direction.

Hithere Sun 17-May-20 20:06:45

Flygirl

No, I didn't miss your point.
Still very much irrelevant if something bad had happened.

FarNorth Sun 17-May-20 22:46:55

Flygirl your mother took the right action in asking for your help.
You took the right action in getting your father stopped from driving.

You should not feel bad about it.
Whatever the effect on him, it is nothing compared to what you most probably prevented.

I agree with you that there should be much more support for someone in your situation.

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 23:41:14

A life without driving is perfectly possible (I've never driven) so do take away those keys!

agnurse Sun 17-May-20 23:54:41

Flygirl and others

There are now some guidelines for physicians on discussing driving with older patients. What might have been an option for your mother, and would be an option for anyone else who has concerns about someone's driving, is to mention the concerns to the person's health care provider.

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 23:56:24

agnurse, I agree that you can make many trips for the cost of running a car. It's very expensive but, somehow, people overlook the true cost:

www.thecarexpert.co.uk/average-car-costs-more-than-160-per-month-to-run/

Flygirl Mon 18-May-20 11:51:21

Maybe things have changed then. My experience was in the 1990s and I found no support whatsoever. To be bluntly told nothing could be done unless there was an injury or fatality was unbelievably stressful for us as a family. Both my parents have dued now but it was an awful time abd tge stress it caused should not be underestimated.

Flygirl Mon 18-May-20 11:52:04

Sorry for typos, I can't seem to amend my post