Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

21st Birthday Money for Grandson

(82 Posts)
Sparkling Sun 14-Jun-20 22:28:43

My only grandson will be 21 and is expecting a big cheque. I have the money as no holiday this year like everyone. How much do you think is a decent amount. He had a big 18th but expects the same for his 21st. Although it's not the moved as such it's the expectation. Thank you.

Sparkling Tue 16-Jun-20 06:45:10

Thanks everyone, I had all day in the garden yesterday, did look at all your suggestions and fell asleep in the chair.. I am giving him a cheque plus a small gift to unwrap, he wanted to go out with his friends as they all do, so like loads of people celebrations are on hold, he has worked all through the virus as an essential worker and the money will let him put it with other cash to do as he wants. after this year it will be an Amazon voucher,m as Pixie said they treat most of them as special in some way, they are not daft when you think about it. Thanks again.

chicken Tue 16-Jun-20 11:19:27

I have 10 GCs, so birthdays come around with horrifying frequency. My system has always been £40 for "ordinary" birthdays, £100 for 18ths and £500 for 21sts---and multiplied by 10 that is quite a drain on the finances. Luckily, I now have just have three 21 sts to go and after that milestone I reckon them to be adults, so no more gifts until they marry.

cas58 Wed 17-Jun-20 17:08:41

The audacity of expecting something for his 21st.
He's not a kid anymore.
Keep your money because I'm sure he's probably 'expecting' a payout from your will.

PamelaJ1 Wed 17-Jun-20 19:38:44

In our family we asked each young man, woman which birthday they were going to celebrate. They all chose 18.

So eighteen it was. We then stop presents altogether unless we are with them on the day. By we, I mean my sisters and our offspring.

paddyanne Wed 17-Jun-20 21:49:41

Do your grandchildren cease to be your grandchildren when they turn 18? Did you stop buying for your children at 18 too? I dont understand why there is a cut off point for birthdays seems odd to me I still buy for my neices and godchildren who are mainly in their 40's with two in their early 50's

Eloethan Thu 18-Jun-20 00:09:28

I'm not sure "expectation" should come into it. It very much depends on what you can afford to give - and what you want to give.