Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Feelings of a new grandma

(56 Posts)
B1nn0 Sat 27-Jun-20 17:36:40

Hi, I’m new to this and just need a sounding board. After 6 rounds of IVF my son’s partner gave birth to twins at 34 weeks on Tuesday. They are our first and probably only grandchildren so you can imagine our elation! However, after copious socially distanced celebratory glasses, all sorts of other feelings have crept in, some of which I’ve listed below. Am I being selfish and irrational?

1. My sons partner is not my daughter - she is sharing the experience with her own mother which is natural, but I feel left out. My son is doing his best but it’s not the same.
2. I can’t see the twins and it’s breaking my heart.
3. The little girl is poorly and having tests for all sorts of nasty things and I’m worried about her. I’d feel so much better if I could see her and hug her.
4. I’m worried that the maternal grandparents will see them more. (am I a bad person?)
5. I’m worried about my son being dropped into fatherhood with premature twins after the anguish of getting pregnant in the first place. He’s doing a great job and I’m very proud of him but I can hear the concern in his voice. I can’t even hug him.
6. The twins won’t know my face or my voice when I see them.
7. My husband is feeling the same but apparently I have to ‘suck it up’.
8. When they come out they’ll need support - a single newborn to first time parents is enough of a shock, let alone twins! If the virus is still about I won’t be able to offer any and presumably the maternal grandma won’t either.

Thanks for listening - I’m not normally an anxious person - I’m a capable professional still working part time but this has reduced me to rubble when it should be a happy time!

MellowYellow Mon 29-Jun-20 10:38:03

I don't think anything prepares you for being a grandparent. I wasn't allowed (no-one was) to take my first grandson out in his pushchair for the first year. His mum has anxiety. At the time I was devastated. But eventually that changed and he is 10 and we have such a sweet relationship. As I do with his mum because I managed not to show her how I felt. I was proud of my son, who dealt with many tricky situations. I learnt though that being a grandparent is a whole new life, and it takes time to work it out. Things will settle down. Congratulations!!

RosesAreRed21 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:53:25

Congratulations to you all. I totally can understand your concerns. Being a first time grandparent is a very new to you too. Being a new mum of twins she will welcome any help going. Don’t worry about the twins not knowing you - they will soon realise how important you are and you will be so very special to them.

Flossieturner Tue 30-Jun-20 10:14:17

I would just send a text saying that you are thinking of them and hoping they are well. Then add, ‘ just let me know if there is anything you want me to do’

You have to be very laid back as a grandparent. More so I think if you are a paternal one. Just stay quietly in the background, offering help only when it is asked for.

I have not found any difference in how my GCs react to me from sons or daughters. As very young children, they are more comfortable with the grandparent the know best. As they mature that difference becomes less. As long as you don’t overwhelm them, with request for cuddles etc. Let the children get to know you at there own pace.

Please don’t say anything about being desperate to hold them. Midwives advise nowadays is not to let too many people touch the baby. This advice was pre CV19 and applied to full term babies as much as -rem ones.

Coconut Tue 30-Jun-20 10:16:05

I’ve never been in this situation, my eldest son had 2 sons with my DIL, and her parents lived 200 miles away. My other son, his partners Mum had sadly died when DIL was 11, so I was the main “to turn to Nanny”, carer, babysitter etc. My DD, her in laws live 70 miles away, so I often ended up with all 5 GC, and loved every minute. If I was in your position, I think that I would write a short personal letter to DIL ...... express your joy at the birth, recognise that it’s only natural for her Mum to be the main support for her to turn to .... then adding your excitement at meeting the babies at some stage and just offering any help you can. This way it’s letting them know that whereas you do accept the situation, you are there in the background when they need you .... and it’s a very subtle, please don’t forget about me !

jaylucy Tue 30-Jun-20 10:26:12

Many congratulations on the arrival of these precious babies to everyone in the family.
Difficult at this time for anyone giving birth or any of their close family.

I would say the fact that your DD is gaining support from her parents and your son from you, is quite normal. Can only suggest that you always make a point of asking how DD is of your son. Is there any reason that you yourself can't call her direct and have a quick chat just to say that you are there for her too?

Later down the line, just make yourself available for lots of babysitting - even having them to stay overnight when possible.
Help now in practical ways by making sure that they have plenty of food available that is quick and easy to cook - spending so much time in the hospital, they won't want to bother with the shopping and cooking, speak to the other grandparents and instead of working as two sets, get together and work as a support team, share information between yourselves so that you can all form a support circle for now and when the babies come home, just do whatever is asked of you if you possibly can.

TATT Tue 30-Jun-20 10:28:26

Congratulations! I do hope that all is well with your little gd.
Just to say that, as a child, I spent far more time with my paternal grandparents.
My own grandchildren seem to make no distinction whatsoever between me and the other grandparent. :-)

GreenGran78 Tue 30-Jun-20 10:41:45

Congratulations. Becoming a grandparent is so exciting. Lots of good advice from everyone on here, so I won’t add to it. Just remember that you are not the main characters in this performance, and ‘go with the flow.’
My little Aussie GS is six weeks old, and all I’ve seen of him is on Messenger visits. His Mum’s parents have full access, and see him a few times a week. They are first-time GPs, and I don’t resent the situation. I have a very good relationship with them, and am just glad that they are on hand, if needed. We will always have a long-distance relationship, but I hope to visit as soon as possible.
My other Aussie GC is three. I have only physically spent about 6 months with her, but we Are good friends. We chat several times a week, and she knows who I am. Her other GP live in Peru, and don’t speak English, so they haven’t built up the same rapport with her, which is sad.
I hope that the twins are soon well enough to go home, and that you don’t have to wait too long to meet them. My friend’s daughter, who lives 200 miles from her mum, had triplets. Luckily the in-laws lived nearby, and rallied round. My friend felt very helpless, and left out. The girls are 23 now, and have a great relationship with both sets of GP, so don’t worry. They will get to know you.

Kim19 Tue 30-Jun-20 10:57:31

I'm with Coconut on this. A personal letter of congrats to the new Mum with the inclusion of an enthusiastic offer of help with the proviso that you understand she needs new parent acclimatising and you await her invitation with gusto when correct circumstances present themselves. It's pretty bad form to be pushy at this very special time. Secondly, I would respectfully suggest that it's nature's way that a girl will naturally turn to her Mother. My Mum's was where I arrive and kicked off my shoes. Daresay I could have done so at MiLs but felt disrespectful somehow. Try to relax and reap some satisfaction from this wonderful new happening in your life. As a previously reluctant G (yep!) I cannot overstate the joy I now experience. Sit back and revel in the prospects. Much wonder awaits you in your new role. Congratulations and good luck. I'm

Nanniejude Tue 30-Jun-20 11:05:27

Congratulations! It’s obviously a very emotional time, joy and worry. Just be there for when your needed. When Covid calms down you will have those wonderful cuddles. I sometimes feel jealous of other grandparents who spend more time with my granddaughter but you just have to live with it.

luluaugust Tue 30-Jun-20 11:06:42

As I read your opening sentence I realised your son and partner have been through an awful lot and are still overwhelmed with what has happened. Please don't upset yourself about how you feel you use the words "I'm worried" a lot and that is perfectly normal, of course you are, I'm afraid it is a gran's lot to be worried about all the stuff we can't do anything about specially at present. Please don't worry about the other grandparents seeing more of the GC at present, take one day at a time. Cards, texts etc fine, not too many phone calls. Have you chatted to the other gran? be kind to yourself.

Lancslass1 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:14:00

Congratulations .
There is no point in worrying about things that may not happen.
You will have to accept that the maternal grandmother will probably be the first one called upon .
My son actually told me that his mother in law was told by her daugher when she was expecting a baby before he told me.
I accepted that
I also accepted that she would see the baby before I did.
Don't worry about it .

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:33:12

Congratulations!! Being gran is the best job in the world!! Do you and other gran live near your son? I think as time goes on your position will pan out, if you are on good terms with your son then there is no reason you should be left out. My GD comes to me occasionally and other times goes to her other G. The one I feel sorry for, DD2 is a single mum to a 6 year old boy. The dad does look after the boy, but his mother has no idea of my GS's existence!! It means I get to look after this delightful little boy more often, but I still feel sorry for her.

Chardy Tue 30-Jun-20 11:47:01

Congratulations. Being a gran is the best job in the world

Tell her that you're not her mum, but you want her to be able to ask you for help/support just as if she were your daughter. That includes telling you to back off. Jobs she wants/needs doing, babysitting, you and her mum want to be at the front of the queue. As soon as lockdown is over, go out for lunch/meal/drink with her mum. Tell her you want to be the best gran you can be.

Good luck

icanhandthemback Tue 30-Jun-20 11:56:46

Your relationship with your grandchildren is generally dependent on how you treat the parents! If you are competitive and demanding, they will back away and your opportunities are limited. So, just be there without being pushy and offer any assistance without any expectation. Try not to show you are hurt if the other grandparents are the first to be involved because that will make waves. Just show interest without giving advice and accept that the parents won't have the energy or hormonal ability to worry about you or your feelings. One of the major things I learned was that advice can easily be misconstrued as criticism and starting sentences with "In our day..." without ending them with "but this seems so much more sensible!" was implied criticism. I thought I was just noting the differences but hey ho!
Seriously though, when the angst has been removed by the babies being well, you will get your chance to become a cherished Nan. Children generally start to make up their own minds about who they have a connection with so try not to worry too much. If you've had a good relationship with your DIL up to now, I think with a bit of careful navigation and respect, you can continue to foster that which is key to successful grand parenting.

CraftyGranny Tue 30-Jun-20 12:54:56

Congratulations B1NN0, twins, how lovely. I do hope the baby girl gets better soon.
Daughters do seem to want their Mum's help after giving birth. I have three Sons but no Daughters although DiL 1 and 2 preferred to be at my house than their own Mum's (but that is another story) so I was furtunate in that I got to spend a lot of time with my new Grandchildren. Dil 3 has a close network of family, so I didn't get to see that much of their child plus they live about 200 miles away.

Try not to be jealous of the time the DiL's parents spend with the children, I know it is hard. Just go with the flow and don't complain but make a big fuss of them all when they do come to visit. Make sure you have plenty of toys to entertain the children too, and play along with them. They will love you.

I was told that the hardest part of being a Grandparent is knowing when to keep you mouth shut! But let them know you are there to help if they need it . This is a learning curve for the parents too.

Lock Tue 30-Jun-20 12:56:10

'I’m worried about my son being dropped into fatherhood'
How belittling.
He is an adult who has gone through the IVF process multiple times. He will be far more prepared for fatherhood than many.
His worry right now are for his poorly daughter and her twin. They are his primary concerns and will be for evermore.
Cut the apron strings and suck it up.

Sleepygran Tue 30-Jun-20 13:09:48

All the feelings you’re having are absolutely understandable.Just times it by 4 and it might be close to how your son and dil are feeling right now.
It will get better and you will be able to give them a hug,just not right now.Even in normal times I doubt they’d allow you to cuddle the baby that’s not too well.
Support your son.He’ll be looking for emotional support while he’s supporting his wife and she’s probably an emotional wreck at the moment.Your time will come.Its just disappointing it’s not right now as you hoped,but it will come!
Good luck!

Hithere Tue 30-Jun-20 13:12:01

The whole original post is about you.
If you are elated, imagine how much more elated the parents are - infertility is very hard.
If you are worried, imagine the parents- 100000% more

Not a kind word for your dil, who just went through hell to have those babies.

Your son is an adult and he will manage just fine. No need to worry about him as if he is learning to ride a bike at 5 years old.

Please drop your expectations, what makes you feel better (hugging the medical fragile little girl) and the competition.
Dont make this a self fulfilling prophecy

Scissordolly Tue 30-Jun-20 13:27:49

Instead of giving the babies a present ,pay for a cleaner to come in every week when it's safe to do so. I did this for my latest grandchild for 6 months and his parents have kept her on ever since! It's natural to feel how you do but things change every day with babies. Offer to baby sit when they feel ready and let the parents have a few hrs to themselves.GIVE NO ADVICE UNLESS ASKED.

paddyanne Tue 30-Jun-20 13:59:37

I dont know what the rules are now in SCBU but when I had my prems it was parents only allowed to visit .When my son was born his GP's were allowed to look through the window but only because we had lost a pre term baby before and they hadn't seen her at all
.Dont build expectations ,please ,you'll only get hurt if things aren't how you want them to be

.Concentrate on beng a shoulder for your son to lean on,having a prem baby is one of the most stressful times he'll ever have to cope with ,its literally living from breath to breath and watching the machines blink is all that matters

.Hopefully your babies ,both babies will be well and home by their due date but again dont build expectations,be realistic your son snd DIL will want to keep them out of harms way and while you obviously wouldn't wish harm to them you will be out of the loop for a while ,Settle for online contact until life is more normal and be the MIL your DIL needs and put what you want on back burner .

Scissordolly Tue 30-Jun-20 14:13:00

My dil had prem twins and a 2 yr old.. she was defensive with me which I found very hurtful at the time. Her hormones were all over the place and I didn't take that into account. She is now the most wonderful mum and I look back and wish I had been more understanding. They are totally immersed in their new babies and that is how it should be. Your turn will definitely come!

4allweknow Tue 30-Jun-20 16:00:47

Congratulations. Do hope the babies thrive. Of course of are feeling you are/will miss out, don't think there is a GP in your circumstances who wouldn't feel the same. Why do you feel the parents will need help? There a tendency for people to think a baby, even two needs a hoard of people to assist. I was in hospital for 6 weeks before my twins arrived. No help other then DH who did help with two and a half year old DD when he wasn't at work (no parental leave). Give the parents a chance to find their way. Make sure they know you will be available to help out if they want when Covid-19 circumstances allow. I have a GS 500 miles away and have to accept his other GPs will be more on scene, can't change it so no point in moping about it!

sta es

Nanny27 Tue 30-Jun-20 16:19:33

Congratulations from one nanny of twins to another. Just one point to make really. Out twins arrived at 31 weeks and were quite poorly for several months. (both fine now). It was an insanely busy and stressful time for all, particularly the parents. They had no close family. We are 4 hours away and paternal grandparents 3 hours. EVERY BIT of offered help was gratefully received and both grandmothers took turns to stay over at times and help. So my point is thus, having twins is exhausting and you will almost certainly be welcomed with open arms when CV allows.

jocork Tue 30-Jun-20 19:05:46

My first grandchild is due later this year and my DS and DiL have just moved in with my DiL's parents. They will live there until after the baby is born, then soon after that they will be moving overseas as DS has a new job. I'm resigned to being a long distance granny, at least for the first few years. They plan to return to the UK after 2 or 3 years but that's a long time to wait. Although I'd love to be nearer I realise it is out of my control. I know the other grandparents will see the baby first and have more time in the early days, but we all get on really well and I'm sure I'll be included as much as is practical. I live quite a long way away too. It would be difficult to visit without staying over so I just hope that will be possible by the time the baby is due.
When my children were young they saw their paternal grandparents regularly, partly because they were more pushy and partly because they only lived about 70 miles away. My own mum lived over 200 miles away, didn't drive and was in poor health so she only saw us once or twice a year. At the time I didn't really think too much about how she felt about how little she saw us. She had other GC living nearby but she was the paternal GP and she definitely lost out there as the maternal gandma was very close to her DD and my mum only saw them fairly infrequently. I regret not making more of an effort to see her more as my children didn't have as close a relationship with her as with my in-laws but that was just the way it was.
If you all live close I'm sure you'll see your new GC much more than my mum saw my two. Making yourself available for babysitting will go a long way as well as a willingness to help when asked and NOT offering advice UNLESS ASKED! My in-laws were demanding, interfering and at times missed out because they wanted to see us on their terms without considering that we had our own lives to lead and what they wanted wasn't always convenient for us! Be flexible, patient and do it their way and things will work out I'm sure.
Hoping your DGD is soon well and safely home and you don't have to wait too long to see your GC. flowers and Congratulations!

Lolo81 Tue 30-Jun-20 19:22:30

You’ve received a load of excellent advice here, I’d just like to commend you for recognising these issues and feelings you’ve got and seeking some input around them. Congratulations on your new grandchildren! My only advice is to be patient. Having preemie twins would be stressful in a normal world, so with the way things are just now everything will be heightened.
I had a close friend whose twins were born at 27 weeks and are now thriving and boisterous 7 yo boys, my friend said to me that the people who kept her sane during that horrible hospital stay were those who she could rely on to talk about other things - obviously still caring about and asking about the boys, but also helping distract her and keep her grounded. That and doing practical things like providing food, laundry etc. She knew everyone was desperate to see the boys and her in laws made her feel like an invisible incubator - she didn’t matter anymore. As much as she understood the emphasis on her boys, she mattered too and after going through a pretty traumatic birth it really affected her relationship with them for years because all they cared about was when could they see the boys, when could they touch the boys, when could they hold the boys etc. Hopefully you see this as a cautionary tale and having already identified some of these anxieties you’re able to find a healthy way of coping with your (natural) worries without impacting any future relationship.
Wishing you all the best and I’ll remember your GC in my prayers tonight (I hope that’s not offensive to you) x