Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did he know? (poss triggering)

(106 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Sun 23-Aug-20 09:39:38

I want to ask about something that happened to me 20yrs ago that was really creepy at the time. It's not very pleasant, hence the triggering warning.

We were having a lot of decorating work done on the house & the chap doing it was with us for months. He was highly recommeded & well known & had been friends with my neighbours for years. He was friendly & hard working. He wore shorts & a t-shirt much of the time with a painter's protective all-in-one garment over the top. This garment was made of that thin but toughened papery stuff with poppers down the front.

It was summer at the time & he called me to the upstairs landing to discuss some detail. He didn't bat an eyelid but I immediately noticed the lower poppers on his garment were undone & his penis was clearly visible as the fabric gaped open. I was shocked and very uncomfortable but I pretended I hadn't noticed & quickly left. What the f was going on? I've suddenly remembered this this morning. Even if he went to the loo & the popper didn't catch properly, where were his pants? Can it be normal to strip naked under a painting suit in hot weather?

I never told my dh because he'd have gone ballistic but I realise now I should've said something. Thankfully nothing else happened. But I did have to endure him in our house until the job was finished. So I'm asking, did he know full well or do you think it was totally innocent?

Notinthemanual Mon 24-Aug-20 13:07:01

I had practically the same experience. The man was installing double-glazing. I'd taken tea to him and his young helper. He was kneeling down so the legs of his shorts had ridden up and his penis was peeking out. His helper was puce so I'm certain he knew. I ignored it. Try explaining to another workman why they need to pick up a half finished job.
I was disgusted and whenever I remember this I wonder why men do that, what part of their brain is mis-wired to enjoy being repulsive?

Chewbacca Mon 24-Aug-20 13:23:31

Could it have just been a wardrobe malfunction Notinthemanual?

Millie22 Mon 24-Aug-20 13:48:42

I'm sure he must have known. I would have walked back into the room with a pair of scissors and pretended I was doing some sewing.

Notinthemanual Mon 24-Aug-20 13:54:41

Chewbacca Maybe. But did he know? I think he did. Hmm?? Women often don't realise a breast has broken free. Now I'm not so sure.
Now I'm thinking, if only I'd spilt the tea on it I could've saved him future embarrassment. wink

Namsnanny Tue 25-Aug-20 11:33:48

if only I'd split some tea on it....!!
[Grin]
My thoughts too but it's easy after the event isnt it notinthemanual?