Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

This is pants!

(108 Posts)
Quizzer Sun 23-Aug-20 10:31:53

I am tall, relatively slim and like to follow fashion trends, avoiding the "mutton-dressed-as-lamb" syndrome. However for some time I have had a problem with fashionable knickers!
I don't wear granny pants. For some time I have preferred my leg high leg pants but they seem to have gone out of fashion and are harder to get.
The latest fashion is for little shorts which sit low on the hips - very cute. When I wear these they slide off my hips and gather into multiple creases at the top of my thighs. Another fashion is for pants with plain fronts but lace on the derriere. Very sexy and pretty but when you sit down you get a delicate lace pattern on your buttocks!
Luckily French knickers are no longer in vogue. I think wearing them with tights was not an option unless you wore the knickers on top.
The last in-fashion panty is the thong - don't even go there!!
Any ideas for looking good and being comfortable?

BlueSky Mon 24-Aug-20 10:36:42

Trendy winkgrin

PipandFinn Mon 24-Aug-20 10:36:42

Millie22

I always buy mine from M and S lots of choice whatever your preference. Does anyone really still say panty or panties? Creepy.

Can't bear most words for woman's underwear. Knickers & panties are toe curling. - Underpants 'cos that's exactly what they are. ?

PipandFinn Mon 24-Aug-20 10:39:34

Forgot to mention that Sloggi do cotton 'shorts' which are very comfortable. That's all I buy now.

maddyone Mon 24-Aug-20 10:42:26

I also buy my knickers from M+S mostly. I often buy the matching knickers to a bra, but am becoming less impressed with those as sometimes they’re not so comfortable. I wear high legs or midi knickers, never thongs, Brazilian, or any other types. Comfort is the most important factor for me, but I do like pretty as well, so long as they’re comfortable.

Gransooz Mon 24-Aug-20 10:43:28

I wear M&S full knickers and bought some of their microfibre ones to try fairly recently. They are so stretchy and comfortable that I bought some more even although I didn’t need them! ?

Gwyneth Mon 24-Aug-20 10:45:54

M&S midis brilliant. Just wish they had a bit more choice of colours apart from black and white.

amazonia Mon 24-Aug-20 10:48:17

M&S and Next still offer high leg - the only ones that suit me. Can't bear the boy shorts. M&S also do some smooth no VPL brazillian style which are great under trousers. Don't wear them with a dress because they ride up.

emilie Mon 24-Aug-20 10:52:30

Try men's cotton boxers.

Lancslass1 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:18:18

I am nearly 80.
I wear white cotton bikini briefs from M and S
Better than anything.
(A size smaller than I am because M and S sizes are generous.)

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 24-Aug-20 11:22:31

M&S still do high leg, and several other versions.
Sold in packs, or singles, if you don't like the packs.

Magrithea Mon 24-Aug-20 11:26:00

M&S still sell high leg knickers. I stopped wearing those as they rode up and gave me a 'wedgie' and I now prefer their midi style - not granny pants but more comfortable.

Not sure about lace pattern on your bum - I have several pairs like that but quite honestly, who's going to see it!!!

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 11:30:31

Just on the subject of ‘grey’ undies....I don’t have any at all, I only use Tesco own bio washing powder and whites stay white, even older items.

Rosina Mon 24-Aug-20 11:35:15

I've found granny pants - or more precisely high leg and on the waist pants - so much better when wearing trousers. The side seams of trousers irritate me around the hips, and the delightfully comfortable silky fabric lingerie from M and S has stopped me squirming about as I did when wearing my usual high leg bikini briefs. I tried French knickers once - absolute hell. They rode up and I could hardly walk!

Caro57 Mon 24-Aug-20 12:07:08

Amazon or similar will have them. I buy mine online as I know what I want to be comfortable and avoid VPL

Jillybird Mon 24-Aug-20 12:27:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Notinthemanual Mon 24-Aug-20 12:31:02

Kate 1949 Thank you. Good to know M&S are selling high leg. That style always makes me feel my stubby legs are longer.

And to all those out there asking who sees them - no one but they make me smile.

Soozikinzi Mon 24-Aug-20 12:33:42

Another vote for sloggi I like the weekend one which have lovely colours and a lace edge

Jac53 Mon 24-Aug-20 12:37:37

I threw all my pants away when lockdown ended! I bought new hi leg one in M&S also some higher waisted ones with lace panels at the front. I agree about the shorts, luckily I had jeans on when mine fell down!

Issipy Mon 24-Aug-20 12:39:08

Sloggis for me...a bit Bridget Jones, but I'm not going to show anyone!

Issipy Mon 24-Aug-20 12:39:53

Sloggis for me. A bit Bridget Jones, but I'm not going to show them to anyone!

Notyetagran46 Mon 24-Aug-20 13:03:20

Has anyone thought this could have been written by someone with a fetish in ladies underwear?
I notice Quizzer hasn’t responded.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 24-Aug-20 13:12:48

I'm tall but not as slim these days but these M+S ones sit higher up - closer to waist on me. www.marksandspencer.com/5-pack-cotton-and-lace-high-leg-knickers/p/clp60374267?extid=ps_ps-gpla_ggl_lg_ch__-_UK_-_-_-&&ds_a_cid=65970745&gclid=CjwKCAjwyo36BRAXEiwA24CwGQtsTbMsZcG9orGXn43J2fhAR-NExv4U8dC1fLk__MqqmcVHBTDaRBoCzd0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Kamiso Mon 24-Aug-20 13:13:29

So good you named them twice Issipy.

None for me since the idiot doctor did severe damage when treating vulva cancer with a laser. He didn’t even leave clear margins!

I used to try and wear different types of knickers when attending parties or special events (addled brain cells) and would end up having to bin them in the ladies lavatories as I only had a clutch bag and didn’t want to have any mishaps if I opened the bag.

I did have a bright idea twenty years ago and googled silk French knickers thinking they might work. It was certainly an education!

In my world men and Americans wear underpants so knickers is fine with me. Each to their own.

I’ve resigned myself to mid calf skirts and dresses and hoping not to take a tumble and bare my all.

Helenlouise3 Mon 24-Aug-20 13:16:36

There's lots of nice high legs in M & S. I buy the pack of 7 cotton ones for every day work wear and then pretty ones for going out. No idea why as it's only my husband & myself that see them lol

4allweknow Mon 24-Aug-20 14:11:35

The problem with the shorts is the lack of elastic on the top. An awful lit have a lacy edging. The lace on the rear of knickers is obviously meant for folk who never sit down. I am not a huge fan of M & S underwear but they do high, mid waist and shorts. Mid waist may be worth a try though high waist sometimes can be quite low almost like a short.