Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

This is pants!

(108 Posts)
Quizzer Sun 23-Aug-20 10:31:53

I am tall, relatively slim and like to follow fashion trends, avoiding the "mutton-dressed-as-lamb" syndrome. However for some time I have had a problem with fashionable knickers!
I don't wear granny pants. For some time I have preferred my leg high leg pants but they seem to have gone out of fashion and are harder to get.
The latest fashion is for little shorts which sit low on the hips - very cute. When I wear these they slide off my hips and gather into multiple creases at the top of my thighs. Another fashion is for pants with plain fronts but lace on the derriere. Very sexy and pretty but when you sit down you get a delicate lace pattern on your buttocks!
Luckily French knickers are no longer in vogue. I think wearing them with tights was not an option unless you wore the knickers on top.
The last in-fashion panty is the thong - don't even go there!!
Any ideas for looking good and being comfortable?

BlueSky Mon 24-Aug-20 09:05:13

Kate1949

M&S sell high leg pants. I've just bought some.

Same here Kate! But unlike Maydonoz I find their sizing has gone smaller, I've got some ancient M&S size 12 that fit beautifully, while the size 14 I've bought recently are tight!

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 09:19:56

Quizzer....Oh for the days when knickers of any style ‘slid from my hips’ when wearing them, you must be very, very slim.?
Mine stay firmly in place all the time.

Witzend Mon 24-Aug-20 09:25:04

Haven’t bought any for ages, M&S knickers last for ages so haven’t needed to - but their high leg is my knicker of choice. Perfectly comfortable, for me, anyway.

honeyrose Mon 24-Aug-20 09:33:16

I wear midis I think they’re called - usually from M&S. I don’t really like the “shorts” as they eventually feel baggy and my pants have to last me a long time. I even wear my pants when the white has gone greyish, so long as the elastic is still stretchy and the cotton fabric has wear left in them. Wouldn’t be able to go “commando” as I have slight bladder leak problem (sorry - too much information!?). Couldn’t even contemplate thongs - don’t see the point of them at all. Although I appreciate some older ladies still want to feel sexy in their choice of underwear and that’s their prerogative of course. No support where you need support with thongs, IMO! I do pay more attention to having well-fitted bras and I am measured professionally for these (again, M&S or sometimes John Lewis) ?

Americanpie Mon 24-Aug-20 09:37:49

I usually get my high leg knickers from Asda , cotton with a deep lace top. These wash and wear well too.

Kartush Mon 24-Aug-20 09:42:56

I buy stretch knickers, comfy as and you can get them in heaps of colours and pattern, i also have a supply of Tradie for full figure woman, also comfy as. Personally when i wear knickers i go for comfort

Davida1968 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:46:27

GN had quite a discussion on knickers, not too long ago. I recall that Sloggis were highly rated (by me alongside others). I wear the "full brief" ones, (so comfy!) but they do others which are less "full".

Moggycuddler Mon 24-Aug-20 09:49:38

Plain old marks and spencers cotton full briefs in multi packs. That's done me for many years. Even when I was young I was never concerned with fashions in knickers. It was always "cotton and comfy" for me.

NannyMags Mon 24-Aug-20 09:50:04

I unfortunately suffer from Lichen Sclerosis so have to be very careful with knickers. White M&S nvp shorts (no elastic in the legs) are marvellous for me but my gynaecology/oncologist suggested white cotton only. So sorry I cannot really help.

jaylucy Mon 24-Aug-20 09:52:13

Several places still stock high legs!
M&S have never stopped and I see that Tu at Sainsburys (also available online) have them as do most supermarkets that have clothes.
I didn't think that they have ever gone out of fashion - the shorts style has been available for nearly as long.

Cambia Mon 24-Aug-20 09:58:15

MIDIs for me! Like something that covers up a little higher. Don’t like the muffin top look! Occasionally granny pants she out walking miles and comfort comes first! Was very glad I was not wearing a thong when my wrap around skirt unwrapped in a shop in Crete and slid gracefully round my ankles!!
Do still like pretty underwear if possible as I have to look at it as well as my husband.

Ascot12 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:58:29

I normally wear matching underwear (just my thing) but on a walk by the river a few weeks ago fell over and was so glad I was wearing my bridgette jones pants becuase alot of people saw everything

Juicylucy Mon 24-Aug-20 09:58:51

Sainsbury’s and the large Tescos do the high leg ones you like, in packs and single.

henetha Mon 24-Aug-20 10:01:36

Sloggi's every time for me. They are pricey but last well.

Bluedaisy Mon 24-Aug-20 10:04:14

Hi Quizzer, have you tried sloggi Comfort tai pants? If you go on sloggi website there are many styles but I prefer hi leg knickers and now have a drawer full of their comfort (thicker waist band that doesn’t go anywhere) tai knickers.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:06:39

Well I wouldn’t be seen dead in a thong lol I don’t like the shorts type, I like high legs ones in lace or plain , but since no one will be seeing them it’s comfort all the way for me, the only people that would see my knickers are the neighbours and that doesn’t bother me in the least, and of course my DH

TrendyNannie6 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:08:48

I will rephrase that the neighbours would see them on the washing line,

Pat123 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:12:27

Try Sloggi Tai briefs, they come in packs of 3 if you order online. They are high leg and very comfortable. Or they sell in John Lewis individually.

nannypiano Mon 24-Aug-20 10:16:36

I stick to full black pants. Comfortable and don't change colour. I do have some lovely matching bra and pants sets for certain occasions .... but don't seem to need them any more.

Tabbycat Mon 24-Aug-20 10:20:18

I wear Sloggi knickers too - very comfortable!
smile

sandelf Mon 24-Aug-20 10:24:06

Don't scream at the prices - been wearing Bodas for 10 years - nothing I bought has worn out yet. The tactel bikini and the jabouly lace I can vouch for. There may be something you like. bodaslondon.com/underwear/knickers.html

Craftycat Mon 24-Aug-20 10:26:56

Sloggi every time. They do mini, midi,lacy, full pants type etc & they are just so comfortable. They wash well & last ages. A bit more expensive than M&S but worth every Penny.
I buy them online but John Lewis & Debenham have a limited selection too.

nipsmum Mon 24-Aug-20 10:31:52

Like some other gransnetters, M&S straightforward cotton pants have served me wee for many years. Nobody see them but me .

Jenken Mon 24-Aug-20 10:33:17

Totally agree with mamacaz.

Kate1949 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:34:54

I'm glad you said that BlueSky. I thought they were smaller. I thought it was lockdown excesses!