Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What colours are fashionable for clothes this autumn?

(112 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Sat 05-Sep-20 16:31:37

I've put on a whole load of weight with lockdown & now the temperatures are dropping I need a few new things to wear but I've no idea what colours are trendy. Any ideas?

JenniferEccles Sat 05-Sep-20 22:43:34

Shouldn’t you give yourself a chance to lose the weight you have put on?

It’s great to treat ourselves to a few new items when the season changes but if nothing fits a whole new wardrobe is going to be very expensive.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 22:49:11

They work for me too, phoenix, unless it is a washed-out beige.

But Eeuw lime green. That's a no no for me! and me too

lemongrove Sat 05-Sep-20 22:51:05

Callistemon

I never know what's fashionable but I do fancy some new knitwear in autumn colours and also a deep red long cardigan.
Apparently pale beige and lime green are 'in', along with black but that doesn't appeal to me.

I'm so fed up with fifty shades of blue which is what I seem to have worn all year so far.

Another post I could have written?
I have looked online at quite a few sites but have found nothing so far.

MerylStreep Sat 05-Sep-20 22:52:03

Why don't you think for yourself. What if whats on trend doesn't suit you: your then stuffed on being trendy aren't you?

Bixiboo Sat 05-Sep-20 22:54:13

Agree with Phoenix. Forget fashion and trends and go with what suits your skin tone. (You’ll know if it’s warm or cool). If you want to splash out you could always book a colour consultation with a colour analyst. (House of colour or Colour me Beautiful for example). Most large stores offer a free personal shopping consultation which is another option.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 22:54:58

Must get out of these dark blue jeans and Breton top (navy and white) and into my blue pjs.

moon

Fennel Sun 06-Sep-20 11:44:36

I haven't really looked but I have things in olive green, and rust and dark brown which will have to do.
I hate black.

Blinko Sun 06-Sep-20 11:51:54

I find I'm pretty pleased when the seasons colours just aren't my shades, as it means there's almost nowt in the shops that would suit. Fab. Saving money again.

I, too, am with the blue brigade on here. Shades of blue, grey, black with a pink or purple thrown in occasionally. can't do Autumn colours at all.

Blossoming Sun 06-Sep-20 12:00:46

I love lime green as an accent, especially with navy and white.

luluaugust Sun 06-Sep-20 12:44:19

Another blue brigade member, whatever I buy this year I must remind myself not blue again.

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 12:49:18

Today I'm wearing indigo jeans and an indigo, blue and white top with yellow as an accent colour.
I've only just noticed the yellow and it appears to be egg yolk.

lemongrove Sun 06-Sep-20 12:50:28

?

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 12:52:21

I'll have to change now before I go out into another blue top.

lemongrove Sun 06-Sep-20 12:54:38

I’m a vision in navy and white ( mainly navy)
What is it with British women and blue? Or is it that shops have more clothes in blue?
My wardrobe is full of every shade of blue you can think of, so like other posters, have to remind myself to ‘not buy it if it’s blue!’

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 17:24:36

Navy blue leggings, white cotton vest (complete with coffee drip stains down the front) and blue chambray shirt. Looking down at my feet and even they're blue. Now that my hair is silver/white, I'm thinking of a blue rinse! grin

Lucca Sun 06-Sep-20 18:18:19

Another lady in blue.....
I don’t care I think it suits me.
I love real dark navy with white.
I love bright turquoise
I love hyacinth blue.
Also like pink and silver grey.
What is fashionable this autumn ? Whatever is in my wardrobe basically !

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 18:22:58

I had to change my top, the accidental accent colour was just too noticeable.

Cabbie21 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:27:25

I avoided blue for a few years after I left school, as that was my school uniform, but before long I was back to my favourite colour.
Today I have gone into black trousers with a black, grey and plum top, those are my alternative colour schemes. I don’t care about fashion, except that it limits what is in the shops.

Now that my hair is a different colour, I could wear browns and orange perhaps, as the black seems rather dark now.
Not that I am going shopping. I have plenty of clothes as I never seem to throw anything away.

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 18:32:01

black, grey and plum top
That sounds nice, especially with the dark red cardigan which I haven't bought yet.

Iam64 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:35:31

Who knows?! Will anyone really be off shopping for a new wardrobe. I'm in the plague north west, where further lock down is upon us.
I have a wardrobe of ok clothes, several pairs of decent (that is not only used for dog walking) jeans/cords and a couple of jumpers.
I have a frock that can go to a party (I wish...)or a wedding or a funeral. I have a pair of lovely boots, and a pair of excellent flat short ankle boots.
I have a winter coat of the Invading Poland warmth - do I need anything else?

grannyrebel7 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:44:35

Oh no not beige! Reminds me of what Terry Wogan used to say that when you get old you start wearing beige! My DH has some beige trousers and I call them his Terry Wogan trousers! He won't stop wearing them though. Also can't stand any shade of green, but especially lime green. Yuk! Therefore I shall be sticking to my blue, particularly navy, black, purple & pink. Happy Autumn everyone smile

MawB2 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:49:26

Chewbacca

Navy blue leggings, white cotton vest (complete with coffee drip stains down the front) and blue chambray shirt. Looking down at my feet and even they're blue. Now that my hair is silver/white, I'm thinking of a blue rinse! grin

I'm assuming the coffee drip stains are providing what the fashion writers describe as a “pop” of colour.
I prefer spag bog sauce personally!

annodomini Sun 06-Sep-20 19:05:02

I'm wearing navy joggers with a bright pink top and long navy cardi - as well as multi-striped socks and sheepskin slippers. In summer I wear mainly strong coloured tops which double as 'liners' under winter jumpers. I used to think lime green wouldn't suit me at all, but for some reason I bought a short-sleeved cardigan in that colour and it really did suit me. But I haven't found one anything like it in the past 20 years.

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 19:35:34

I'm assuming the coffee drip stains are providing what the fashion writers describe as a “pop” of colour. I prefer spag bog sauce personally!

I could have wept when I saw all the drips Maw! Huge, big fat splats of coffee, right down the front! Funnily enough, the friend that I was out with said the same as you, "could have been worse, might have been spag sauce". And that's a beast to get out isn't it!

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 19:37:10

Well you looked very smart & stylish when I last saw you annodomini. smile