Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What colours are fashionable for clothes this autumn?

(112 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Sat 05-Sep-20 16:31:37

I've put on a whole load of weight with lockdown & now the temperatures are dropping I need a few new things to wear but I've no idea what colours are trendy. Any ideas?

Aepgirl Mon 07-Sep-20 11:10:45

I certainly won’t be buying new clothes for the Autumn. What’ve got that hasn’t been worn over the summer will be jollier up with colourful scarves, and nice jackets, etc.

Riggie Mon 07-Sep-20 11:18:38

Inwear what suits me which is all greens and dark orange/rust. With accents of other colours - eg a black cardi or trousers with something more colourful. But I'm a big girl and it seems from what I find that I am only supposed to wear navy (yuk), grey (love it but it does nothing for me) or black (which is OK but often looks cheap). Also as a larger person I am not supposed to want skirts...

Jillybird Mon 07-Sep-20 11:30:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icanhandthemback Mon 07-Sep-20 11:35:48

I get fed up with the lack of colourful winter clothes. It all seems to be black, blue and grey. I want purples, reds, greens and other warm colours.

wetflannel Mon 07-Sep-20 11:36:37

I don't follow trends at all, I know what does and doesn't suit me. Mainly jeans with t shirt, in Autumn add a cardigan. Spring summer crop trousers and again t shirt. Got to be super hot for me to wear a dress or skirt. If I am not leaving the house my super comfy Next leggings with a baggy top. I prefer comfort over style these days.

Bluedaisy Mon 07-Sep-20 11:51:46

It seems aubergine, ochre and bottle green are ‘in fashion’. I’ve put on lockdown weight too so just ordered a nice pair of Ochre trousers to wear with a long black shirt and Ochre scarf. Hopefully that will make me feel a bit better about myself whilst I tackle my weight this winter as it should go with a charcoal jacket I bought at the end of last winter.

Cotswoldslass Mon 07-Sep-20 11:59:07

sparklingsilver28 - your wardrobe sounds just wonderful. I love colour so no black, brown or fawn for me either!!

Sheilasue Mon 07-Sep-20 12:05:44

Dislike taupe, I never worry about what’s in or not. Love, purple, black, sweatshirts in different colours, love my black leggings with my trainers, no crocs hate them as trainers can be worn with dresses skirts I have a lepoard skin style, & pink nike ones and black ones for walking in.
Looking to get another pair. Won’t buy much as having been at home on lockdown lot of stuff not worn.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 07-Sep-20 12:44:10

Well, I am certainly not going to wear beige or puce!

Neither suit me.

I have given up following fashion - not sure really when that happened, but think it occurred when I stopped working.

I wear what I like and what I feel suits me.

Kim19 Mon 07-Sep-20 13:37:49

Does the fashion industry still try to push 'this season's colour'? Can't say I've seen much evidence of that lately.

Phoebes Mon 07-Sep-20 13:50:01

Never ever beige!
I bought a gorgeous reversible down jacket in the late lamented Laura Ashley last autumn, one side navy and the other bright yellow with a flower pattern and every time I wear it with the yellow side out I get stopped by strangers who admire it!
I actually bought it because I wanted a navy jacket, but I hardly ever wear it that way round!
Nice bright colours are the best in the winter.

kathyd Mon 07-Sep-20 13:58:53

I'm wearing black jeans, scarlet jumper and an orange cardigan. I have just been told how nice I look.

March15 Mon 07-Sep-20 14:31:23

I heard that red was a colour of the moment, and paisley patterns are on trend. I like to be aware of the new colours, etc, but like others have said, if they don't suit your colouring, try something else!!

Dinahmo Mon 07-Sep-20 14:33:40

Does it matter? Wear what you like and what suits you.

honeyrose Mon 07-Sep-20 14:40:24

I don’t bother too much with whatever colours are in fashion as I just wear what suits me. I had this Colour Me Beautiful (not that I’m beautiful!) colour analysis and also style analysis about 30 years ago and I still wear the soft muted autumnal shades (with a bit of bending the “rules” occasionally) and that stands me in good stead. My skin tone is probably about the same as if was then, although hair now coloured and body shape DEFINITELY altered (so I have to allow for a bigger tummy!). I do quite like lime green, but not a vibrant lime - I do love lemony yellow though which is more my colour. Blue is not really my colour. Bluebelle - I love the word “bilious” - always makes me smile for some reason!

Sparklefizz Mon 07-Sep-20 14:51:25

phoenix

Who knows or cares? Just wear colours you like and that suit you! If they are both, then double win!

Impossible, though, if the shops/fashion has deemed otherwise.

Coggers94 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:18:33

I wear whatever colours I want whether it's summer or winter.

Serendipity22 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:24:32

Mustard, ruby red ( rust ) beige and brown are the colours that I have seen ( and are in my wardrobe hahaha ) ohh and camel.

Roll on Autumn, my favourite season smile

Dinahmo Mon 07-Sep-20 15:34:34

honeyrose

I don’t bother too much with whatever colours are in fashion as I just wear what suits me. I had this Colour Me Beautiful (not that I’m beautiful!) colour analysis and also style analysis about 30 years ago and I still wear the soft muted autumnal shades (with a bit of bending the “rules” occasionally) and that stands me in good stead. My skin tone is probably about the same as if was then, although hair now coloured and body shape DEFINITELY altered (so I have to allow for a bigger tummy!). I do quite like lime green, but not a vibrant lime - I do love lemony yellow though which is more my colour. Blue is not really my colour. Bluebelle - I love the word “bilious” - always makes me smile for some reason!

I had a Colour Me Beautiful analysis back in the 80's. I was a spring which meant peaches, apricots, creams, none of which were in fashion. Also no dark colours which was annoying as I'd just bought a very dark navy suit, which I loved. Prior to my consultation I'd worn moss greens and rusty reds because being a red head I thought that's what I should wear but I had very pale skin so totally the wrong shades for me. I have several scarves which help if I'm wearing something too dark for me.

Unigran4 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:59:53

Browse through some of the clothing catalogues on line (J D Williams, Witt International, Marasota, etc) and see what colour predominates in these.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 07-Sep-20 16:05:53

I really go by what I feel comfortable in first and foremost, I know what things suit me and what doesn’t, that goes for colours too, so I usually wear burgundy’s navy’s browns taupes and monochrome with a bit of leopard print some days,

Hymnbook Mon 07-Sep-20 16:20:40

I've just bought a bright yellow sweater.

phoenix Mon 07-Sep-20 17:00:14

When I gave up the dye (red) and embraced the grey, I discovered colours that would previously been off limits, violet, mustard among others!

It's not just your skin tone, if you have changed your hair colour during lockdown then that might affect colours that suit you.

AGAA4 Mon 07-Sep-20 17:10:46

I am in blue and turquoise today and my wardrobe is full of those colours with the odd splash of dark peach with lime green trimmings.

wetflannel Mon 07-Sep-20 18:24:17

Phoenix I agree about wearing what colour you like with grey\white hair. I had my hair cut really short when my roots starting emerging, now it is a silvery blonde and I can get away with bright colours.