Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much is too much for a top?

(215 Posts)
trisher Wed 09-Sep-20 10:45:32

I love this top. I keep looking at it. But it is totally impractical and too expensive. But it's lovely. Would you pay £165 for it? What's the most you have ever paid for a top?

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 12:15:10

I’m sure you’re not implying the OP is not slim, young and lovely also Callistemon

Oops, sorry trisher

I was thinking of myself

annodomini Wed 09-Sep-20 13:05:09

Sorry, no. For one thing, I don't like it and for another I couldn't justify the expense. If I see something I really like in an on-line catalogue, I wait for several months to see if it comes up in a sale, and occasionally it does - a cosy down coat, for instance that was originally £180 and I got it for £60-ish; and a cotton knit cardigan, reduced from £65 to £27.
And I keep reminding myself that a bargain is only a bargain if I need it. (Virtue signalling?)

Iam64 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:10:19

I do like it. I'd pay that if I was going somewhere special, like a wedding/christening and then wear it for about 10 years.
Currently though, I'm buying no clothes. Firstly, I'm hardly leaving the house so live largely in old jeans and sweat shirts and secondly, I avoid shops. I did a John Lewis run a couple of weeks ago to try and buy a new sweat shirt. Failed. I was almost overwhelmed with excitement at being out of the house and in JL.

Grannynannywanny Wed 09-Sep-20 13:24:43

If you really like it and can afford it then why not treat yourself. Personally I couldn’t contemplate almost my entire week’s income going on clothing.

Kittye Wed 09-Sep-20 13:25:33

I once paid £150 for a hat for sons wedding..don’t ask what dress and jacket cost? I did wear the dress a couple more times though.
The whole outfit went to a charity shop in the end.

Marydoll Wed 09-Sep-20 13:26:11

trisher, it's your money and if you can afford it, I say go for it. The only thing that would bother me is if was dry clean only, hand washing doesn't bother me at all. In fact I've just washed a delicate sweater this morning.
Everyone's taste is different, so don't let anyone put you off.

I tend to wait for sales to buy things. After reading this thread, I was prompted by Maw's post to look at Seasalt. I bought a jacket in the sale and was delighted to get a further 20% off at the checkout.
My justification for buying was that my annual trip to Rome on Friday has been cancelled and I would have run amok there, having saved all year to go on a shopping spree.
Nothing bought there at full price, of course. wink

Millie22 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:27:00

Sorry no it's looks too shiny and is it supposed to be animal print. Don't like stripes either far too nautical. I'm hiding now!

Greendress Wed 09-Sep-20 13:30:02

I love it and would definitely buy if I thought I would get lots of wear out of it.

Marmight Wed 09-Sep-20 13:53:23

I always ask myself, when tempted, do I really want it, would I wear it enough to warrant the cost, do I really need it, what else more important could I spend the money on. By the time I’ve done all that & dithered, I’ve either gone off it, it’s sold out or if lucky, its been reduced! Personally, I wouldn’t but that’s because I don’t like it
When I was a student in Paris in the late 60s, I yearned for a pair of pink suede boots in Galeries Lafayette. I visited the shoe dept so often that eventually I went completely off them (they were well out of my price range anyway ?)
If it'll give you pleasure and you can warrant paying that much - go for it

Kalu Wed 09-Sep-20 13:57:14

The top isn’t a style I would wear but if it coordinated with many other pieces, was good quality, which I could hand wash and get lots of wear out of it, even then, I wouldn’t pay that price for a top with those colours which would need constant washing.

I don’t enjoy clothes shopping but when I do shop I go for quality rather than quantity, has to be versatile, matching up with a variety of other clothes as I coordinate the few colours in varying shades which suit me My weakness is silk scarves which I have paid those prices for. Worn with various outfits during winter, although instructions are dry clean only, I freshen them up in a bowl of slightly soapy tepid water and they still look as good as the day I bought them, possibly 10yrs ago.

GagaJo Wed 09-Sep-20 13:58:28

Exactly the sort of questions I am asking myself. Where I live now, prices are HIGH and I am finding it hard to adjust. Just how high a price can I tolerate?

silverlining48 Wed 09-Sep-20 14:00:33

That’s way out of my budget and not sure I like it trisher but if you can and do then why not.

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 14:01:30

I once paid what seemed an awful lot of money for a wool and cashmere jumper. We were just talking about it today. I bought it 10+ years ago and it's still like new and still a favourite. It must be down to 1p a wear now (if that!)

SueDonim Wed 09-Sep-20 14:06:52

I’m not keen on shiny clothing and it looks cold to wear (v important factor if you live in Scotland! grin.

I’d never be able to justify to myself paying that much. Paying £40 for a top would have me feeling extraordinarily extravagant.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 14:11:47

I think it depends on your personal choice.

I pay as much as I can afford for clothes then wear them for ever. So I have stuff that is donkeys years old. Even stuff that went out of fashion have come back in again, although I do tend to go for classical stuff which stands the test of time.

Like jane it works out incredibly cheap in the long run.

Witzend Wed 09-Sep-20 14:16:58

This was an extremely rare impulse buy of mine while walking through John Lewis. Quite a bit less expensive than the OP’s top, but still considerably more than I’d usually pay.

But that was at least a year ago and I still haven’t worn it! (I don’t do remotely dressed-up very often, esp. lately.)
But I will wear it, I will...eventually....

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 14:27:45

Oh Witz I like that - what fabric is it?

Kalu Wed 09-Sep-20 14:28:06

I have bought a few pieces from Pure Collection over the years. Their sale is on just now and very good bargains to be had , 50%/75% off.

MerylStreep Wed 09-Sep-20 14:30:06

A silk suit bought in Shanghai 2008. Its cost a lot of money but every time I wear it people love it. My daughter wants it written in my will that it goes to her ?
A cashmere blazer bought at least 20 years? ago. Still as good as new and so versatile dressed up or down.

twinnytwin Wed 09-Sep-20 14:38:14

I think it's gorgeous and if I were you, I'd buy it. I make my own clothes and sometimes treat myself to some gorgeous silk fabric to sew. It'll give you a thrill every time you wear it - and lots of compliments I'm sure.

Blossoming Wed 09-Sep-20 14:47:37

No, I wouldn’t. It isn’t to my taste, but I’m not buying new clothes right now anyway. I have been de-cluttering and going through my wardrobe was a sobering experience! I’m currently refashioning a barely-worn FatFace dress into a top. The fabric is lovely but the dress is more or less a shapeless sack! Probably looked great on a tall slender model but I’m 5ft 1in and cuddly grin

glammanana Wed 09-Sep-20 14:59:48

I do think the top shown in the picture is beautiful but there is no way I would pay that much just for a top.
The most I have paid is £55 which I wore for the evening of my sons wedding I have worn it quite a few times since so it was money well spent.

Witzend Wed 09-Sep-20 15:05:53

Ha, @MerylStreep, that’s reminded me of a very expensive and beautiful intarsia alpaca cardigan that was a present from dh some years ago (I’d never have paid that much) which a sister - and she’s 5 years older - asked me to leave to her in my will!?

Starblaze Wed 09-Sep-20 15:06:14

Love your best life and buy the top you like. We all need to find the happy lately

Witzend Wed 09-Sep-20 15:10:24

It’s 100% viscose, @Suziewoozie, which at least is a plant fibre AFAIK, but it looks and feels like heavy silk.