Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much is too much for a top?

(215 Posts)
trisher Wed 09-Sep-20 10:45:32

I love this top. I keep looking at it. But it is totally impractical and too expensive. But it's lovely. Would you pay £165 for it? What's the most you have ever paid for a top?

trisher Thu 10-Sep-20 22:50:27

I wa just thinking that if you calculated per square inch that top would be massively more than mine. There's hardly any of it.
Callistemon go for it! You'll be a millionaire in no time!

Kenver60 Thu 10-Sep-20 23:36:46

Yes I would pay £165 for it . You only live once and it would give you a real boast to wear it , you’d feel a million dollars . I have spent more than that on a top , but not very often as I’m not that well off . Go for it Trisher you won’t regret it.. I don’t smoke or drink alcohol . So Yes a special gorgeous top why not ..

trisher Fri 11-Sep-20 13:36:05

I'm feeling guilty today. There are in my wardrobe 2 dresses I bought at the start of Lockdown and haven't worn. They were White Stuff bargains and they will come in this Autumn/Winter but now I'm thinking will it just hang there as well? But it is a classic isn't it?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:51:03

trisher

I'm feeling guilty today. There are in my wardrobe 2 dresses I bought at the start of Lockdown and haven't worn. They were White Stuff bargains and they will come in this Autumn/Winter but now I'm thinking will it just hang there as well? But it is a classic isn't it?

I bought two dresses and a jumpsuit for my holiday - holiday cancelled due to Covid they have never been worn, hopefully I will still like them next year!

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:57:13

Chewbacca

No rocketstop this is obscenely expensive @ £78,219. Makes £165 sound very reasonable, don't you think?

You’d need a vest with that top Chewbacca or you’d catch your death!

Whingingmom Fri 11-Sep-20 13:59:32

Depends what it’s for and how much you will wear it.
If it’s for a special event, and wearable afterwards then I would pay that much although this particular blouse isnt to my taste as it wouldn’t suit me at all.
However, just for everyday then I wouldn’t, I buy cheap and cheerful from M&S or similar.

trisher Fri 11-Sep-20 16:22:23

GrannyGravy13 I'm pleased I'm not the only one who has stuff she hasn't worn!!!

Callistemon Fri 11-Sep-20 16:26:56

MawB2

Chewbacca

No rocketstop this is obscenely expensive @ £78,219. Makes £165 sound very reasonable, don't you think?

You’d need a vest with that top Chewbacca or you’d catch your death!

Does that mean I'll have to knit vest to go under it?

Nearly finished knitting the top - I'm sure you all want to see me modelling it.
I am just as young and lovely as the model in the OP (not the other one though).

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 17:00:42

Maybe a Liberty Bodice might do, but a hand knitted vest would be a fashion statement on its own!

Danma Fri 11-Sep-20 17:36:33

If yiu like it and can afford it, why not buy it? It’s your money (I assume ?)

Enjoy wearing it

MawB2 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:10:24

STOP PRESS

Trisher - half price sale at Jigsaw (showing your top) is flashing up on my screen.
Have you seen this?

MayBee70 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:19:27

MawB2

I don’t like it so £2.50 in the charity shop would be too much for me.
On the other hand I have just spent £22.95 on this (reduced from £45) and see myself getting a lot of wear out of it.

I really like that. Where is it from? Sort of thing I’d get a lot of wear out of, too.

trisher Mon 14-Sep-20 11:10:32

Thanks MawB2 No it hasn't come up today! Isn't that typical when you want the B* things they are never there. When you don't want them they keep turning up. (Bit like men really) grin

trisher Mon 14-Sep-20 11:11:05

MayBee70 It's Jigsaw.