Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to do???

(96 Posts)
Gran16 Sat 12-Sep-20 07:24:25

I've been on GN for a while but this is my first post ....

After many years with my partner I'm starting to question if he is worth it? I'm in my late 50s and he is slightly younger. I have GC and he has school age children who stay with us regularly.
I have come to realise how controlling he is (even in the bedroom!) despite calling me a 'control freak'. There are many instances where things crop up that we have apparently discussed that I dont remember and he has suggested I see a doctor about my memory problem. I spoke to close friends about this and they said my memory is fine!
Everything goes along well providing he is happy and I don't confront him about things and I'm starting to wonder if I should end it as I'm having doubts as to his intentions.
I would really appreciate thoughts from those who dont know either of us at all if that makes sense?

knspol Sat 12-Sep-20 19:01:26

No way we can judge without knowing both of you but advice which my driving instructor gave me many years ago and which I have found useful many times in non driving circs is 'If in doubt, don't'.

1404kiwi Sat 12-Sep-20 19:55:44

Others have given good advice only wanted to say my ex couldn’t drive either and I now realise that it was yet another form of both control and laziness. I will never go out with anyone who can’t drive unless it’s on genuine medical grounds

FarawayGran Sat 12-Sep-20 20:05:06

I think the others in this article are right.
You must put yourself first.
Years ago I was engaged to be married to a charming, funny man, But as time went by he used to say "oh don't wear that agian will you" , or "don't sit like that".
I lost a bit of weight, and I did look a lot better. Now, bearing in mind that he had fallen in love with the cuddly me, so when he said "You are not the girl you were when you lost weight" Anyone who has been on a diet knows how difficult it is to maintain the weight loss, so I was devastated when he went on to say "You are twice the girl"
Ladies, I did not marry him, I had a hunch he was going to manipulate my life.
When my mum asked why I had dumped him (because she liked him a lot) she said I had done the right thing - and I never regretted not marrying him.

Gran16 Sat 12-Sep-20 21:39:28

Hello everyone
I must say a heartfelt thank you to all of you who have taken the time to respond.
To be fair I think I had made my decision already but this reaffirmed my belief in me.
I have spoken to close friends too and they have all reassured me that I am not losing my mind.

I have told him we are finished and he was furious, threw insults and said he will go when he's ready and after he gets what he is owed!! He's going to get a solicitor and get what he thinks he's due. I am protected but he thinks he knows best as usual!!
I definitely made the right decision.
Thanks again one and all flowers

Rene72 Sat 12-Sep-20 22:05:40

Sounds to me like I’ve heard all this before! Pretty much most of my life from my controlling father, who loved to tell me I’d never be any good.....I wanted to be a nurse...his favourite sneering comment ‘You’d never makes a nurse!” To my first husband, who not only drank but also demanded everything his way, example.....when I asked him to take me out I was told, ‘why would I want to take my wife out with me?’ I finally managed to get out of his clutches ending up working to keep a 2 year old and a baby. Not a penny from him to help keep them.
A few years later I thought I’d met the right man when after we got married I found out he was sexually controlling! His favourite was ‘when God was giving out sexual urges it’s not my fault he put me at the top of his list and you at the bottom’.
Then came husband no3, sneaky, spent money we didn’t have. I opened a joint account putting the money from the sale of my house in and paying the deposit on another for us. A couple of months later there was nothing left, he just spent it on his 2 children, getting rid of my expensive furniture, replacing it with cheap stuff! I fell out with my family over him, lost both my daughters. I left him numerous times but always came back because he promised things would change. We eventually got a beautiful home but he just couldn’t help himself, his stupidity lost him his business and we lost our beautiful home! I left again!!
The last time he said he had prostrate cancer, I came back! I’ll never know if he lied to me but I think he did because he’d never let me go to hospital with him for treatment, not even to sit in the waiting room! I stayed with him for another 20 years, looking after him like a slave, because of his gluttony he became enormous. I wasn’t even allowed to go food shopping on my own. I’d say I’m just popping to Tesco, he’d say, just give me a minute I’ll come with you. He was quietly controlling, didn’t like me driving the car, despite him being a terrible driver and having numerous crashes! He died earlier this year leaving me in debt. My father died last year leaving almost everything to my sister and her children, including his house. My children got nothing though I did get a small amount from him. I daren’t tell my husband or he would have spent it. It actually paid off my husbands debt and £5000 for his funeral. He became a local councillor 7 years ago and was so charming, the women fell on his every word, one telling me how wonderful he was, and the men thought he was wonderful too. My stepson practically organised every aspect of his funeral saying because he was so well thought of, the town would expect it! Yet he offered not one penny towards the cost despite him having a £90,000 salary!
If any one thing in this reply resonates with you, get out of that relationship and if the house is yours don’t let him back in!
I’m 74 now and have acute arthritis and a serious heart problem. All the rubbish I put up with wasn’t worth the misery. You’re better off on your own!

Hetty58 Sat 12-Sep-20 22:13:12

Gran16, it's obvious that things aren't right. You're wondering if he's 'worth it' and asking on here. If you were happy you just wouldn't question things - so get rid asap!

Elrel Sat 12-Sep-20 22:18:54

Gran16 Wishing you good things in your future. I think you have made a brave and appropriate decision. The clouds will lift.

LadyBella Sat 12-Sep-20 22:57:51

Sometimes we can feel unworthy and have to hang on to a relationship because we believe, wrongly, that we are not worth anything better. This happened to me but I found someone else years later and could not believe the difference. If a relationship makes you feel uneasy then you should probably not be in it.

Gilmul Sat 12-Sep-20 23:04:58

Just ask yourself, “does he see ME?” Or does he just see me in the context of what I can do for HIM?” .... I thought about this for a while before I left a long marriage, because deep down I knew the answer.

Sys2ad2 Sun 13-Sep-20 08:05:54

Unfortunately there are many people in the same situation. I am one of them cannot split up because he wants half the house, and half my pension and any savings despite him having had thousands to pay off business debts. You say he cannot claim on the house but unless you have a pre nuptual agreement he probably can. Do you have anyone you could sign over the house to ? then they could sell it and you could leave just an idea

red1 Sun 13-Sep-20 11:01:13

Ive been single after divorce 06,ive had a relationship which did not last,and recently considered another one ,before it even started there was controlling behaviour, i got out quick! Yes i miss someone who can hold my hand ,look at sunsets etc ,but I can go where i want and with who i want and get back when i want! I would say get out while you can.

Gran16 Sun 13-Sep-20 17:32:36

It's my house and he signed a declaration of trust years ago waiving claim to any part of the house. I will take advice but am waiting to see what he says next. Yesterday he threatened getting a solicitor who would get him exactly what he wants and today he said neither of us can afford a solicitor so we should agree amicably. Will see what comes next!!

Antonia Sun 13-Sep-20 17:45:09

I think you should be questioning whether or not you love this man enough to accept his controlling behaviour, or whether it is impacting on your life so massively that you would be happier without him. As others have suggested, a good counsellor would give you a better idea.

Franbern Sun 13-Sep-20 19:00:10

I have increasing concerns about my sister-in-law. All sorts of things, one of them is that she is not permitted by hbbie to visit me, as it would involve three or four nights away from home.
Today I rang her on her mobile as best way to reachher. shortly after she answered I heard her say 'No,they rang me'. Evidently hubbie had come in to ask why she was on her mobile and not the landline. They are no short of money so the only reason I can think why he does not like her using the mobile is that he cannot listen into her calls, and he can with the landline

Purplepoppies Mon 14-Sep-20 12:36:01

I lived with a man who had me absolutely convinced I'd had nights out I had never been on (without him) , had agreed to things we had never spoken about. He eventually physically attacked me.
If you're instinct is shouting at you then listen to it. The saying is if a person is showing you who they are then see them.
Take care, good luck ?

lovemabub Mon 14-Sep-20 14:24:17

Good for you saying you're leaving him! But do beware as things became dangerous when I left my two previous abusive relationships. It triggered a horrendous 'narcissistic injury' in their fragile egos. Good luck!

Madmaggie Mon 14-Sep-20 16:56:11

Gran16 I don't know you but your post sounded chillingly familiar to me and sounded loud warning bells. I was once married to a man whom I adored and had 3 children with. In short, he took wretched advantage of the fact I adored him and very gradually he chipped away at my confidence. He resented any praise I received from others, he always kept a diary and started to list my 'faults' as he saw them (no one else did) at Church he presented himself as the perfect father, spouse, businessman, christian but in reality he wasnt. Luckily for me others did see through him and offered me support. My Priest, GP, his boss, etc., He would make lists of my 'failings' and leave them for me to read but refuse to discuss. He walked out of marriage guidance sessions because they dared to suggest it wasnt just me that needed counselling! We lived at that time in another country and I felt very alone. He fed on my insecurities, my mother had been domineering and cruel. He would accuse me ofbeing a bad mother (I had post natal depression which thankfully was treated) from the counselling I received because of the PN depression I became more resilient in myself and started to see how better to react to his behaviour - he did not like this. He started to accuse me of being mad and that was a very scary experience. He was offered medical help and counselling but it just incensed him. I was advised for the sake of myself & the children to consider leaving him. I thought we'd get through it.He became such a law unto himself he lost his job, even his employer had offered him counselling & treatment but he refused because he could not/would not accept he needed it. We ended up, at his insistance, selling up & returning to the UK where he told all his relatives it was my fault he'd lost his job etc. He then became a jackll & hyde person, sweetness & light to my parents, the church etc whilst secretly instructing a firm of solicitors to start divorce proceedings. I was shattered. He refused to discuss it with me and had to be ordered to leave our home by a judge. He knew my weak spots and he played on them. We had been married for 20 years. After all these years, he refuses to be in the same room as me. He told a relative he had left me before I could leave him! I am prepared tomove forward especially as we have 3 grandchildren but he still wont . Everything in his life is 'fault' & 'blame'. Escape now before it engulfs you - you are more than this. He enjoys being controlling & attempting to make you less than him. Its warped and perverted, refuse to be a casualty. I wish you strength, support, good friends and a very strong sense of self worth.

Gran16 Mon 14-Sep-20 21:08:19

Madmaggie my mind is made up and were finished. He was furious when I told him but is very quiet now!
Hopefully it wont take too long for him to find somewhere to move to.
I actually feel much more in control and stronger now I have ended it and he appears to be regretting how things are .. I will be very wary until he's gone xx

Keffie12 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:38:39

Gran16

I've been on GN for a while but this is my first post ....

After many years with my partner I'm starting to question if he is worth it? I'm in my late 50s and he is slightly younger. I have GC and he has school age children who stay with us regularly.
I have come to realise how controlling he is (even in the bedroom!) despite calling me a 'control freak'. There are many instances where things crop up that we have apparently discussed that I dont remember and he has suggested I see a doctor about my memory problem. I spoke to close friends about this and they said my memory is fine!
Everything goes along well providing he is happy and I don't confront him about things and I'm starting to wonder if I should end it as I'm having doubts as to his intentions.
I would really appreciate thoughts from those who dont know either of us at all if that makes sense?

Please, please get help and get rid. It is emotional abuse and gaslighting re your memory.

He can't claim on the house etc as you say. Read this website by womens aid.

I was in domestic abuse. Finally fled after 16 years, 20 years ago. I know to well about this type of person as I was married to one. I have happily rebuilt oyr lives today.

Be warned if you do ask him to leave you may suffer a pbacklash as he might "promise to change" Try and get people on his side etc. Read this below please and good luck

www.womensaid.org.uk/

Keffie12 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:40:54

Gran16

Madmaggie my mind is made up and were finished. He was furious when I told him but is very quiet now!
Hopefully it wont take too long for him to find somewhere to move to.
I actually feel much more in control and stronger now I have ended it and he appears to be regretting how things are .. I will be very wary until he's gone xx

Glad to read this. Have contingency plans in place and still speak with womens aid. He may be difficult to move. W.A can help advise and support you. Best wishes