Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I’d like some advice about helping my distressed friend.

(105 Posts)
aonk Fri 25-Sep-20 17:04:41

I would like to offer help to a close friend. She’s in her early 70s, very active and has always lived alone. She copes very well indeed but has always been able to spend Christmas with relatives. She has phoned me in tears because it looks like she could be alone this year. If the rule of 6 is still in force she won’t be able to visit the relatives. There are already 6 people in their household. I can’t invite her to my house for the same reason. We will spend the 2 days with one or other of our AC and will be 6 in total. Of course I will invite her or visit her at other times during the holiday period. I’d like to have some suggestions for her when we next meet up. She could afford a few days in a hotel if that would be possible. I don’t think she would be comfortable doing voluntary work during the festive season. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could best help her? She’s very depressed about this.

midgey Sun 27-Sep-20 09:41:36

MrsRochester I agree with you. It would be very unjust if rules for ‘Christians’ were different from the rules applied to Eid. Not everyone who celebrates Christmas is a Christian!

Jillybird Sun 27-Sep-20 09:51:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ExD Sun 27-Sep-20 09:52:07

I am 81 - not very active (arthritis) but I volunteered to help in our Tea Shop in the local hospital.
The organisation is desperate for volunteers to help on Christmas day - I'm not sure what they do, take Christmas meals round to housebound people I think (I'm lucky enough to be able to have The Day with family so I haven't bothered to find out) but she might perhaps feel better if she was doing something like that?
You can get more information on their website which is:-
royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk
Just a thought, I've made so many new friends since I joined them and even if it doesn't solve Christmas for her it may be helpful in other ways.

Peace67 Sun 27-Sep-20 09:52:51

Oh gosh. I think your dear friend will be one of many sadly. Some communities may come together so that your not alone ie those with only 2 in a household like myself and husband invite someone on their own. Perhaps you or she could start one up in her community. It also bonds the community. I am thinking of doing it here in Suffolk x

Whatdayisit Sun 27-Sep-20 09:54:52

Christmas is way to far off to get upset about now . A week at a time is barely possible.
That said the one day is overrated. Maybe your friend is feeling really down. Encourage her to try and find a small pleasure every day.
If it's alliwed nearer the time you could go out for a xmas dinner.
I think we will all be very inventive supporting each other in the safest way in the coming months.

Beau1958 Sun 27-Sep-20 09:58:52

There is 7 of us in our bubble across 3 households nothing will spoil our Christmas we will all be together my daughters are single parents my grandchildren will all be together Christmas Day no matter what !!!

Amry64 Sun 27-Sep-20 10:03:39

It will be strange if you are not used to it. But think of the "up" side - a whole day to do what you like doing, eat what you want, read a book in peace, no competitive children, no critical adults, sing along to carols, watch what you want on TV, and never mind the adverts of happy families - it is all just a myth to make people feel they are missing something - only you can make it a good day! Do something special and out of the ordinary.

Dillonsgranma Sun 27-Sep-20 10:15:21

My daughter and her family plus myself are going to have Christmas a week early this year ! So that the other grandparents can be there for the actual day .
It really won’t matter. I will still have celebrations with my family and the joy of present giving.
Plus tell your friend I really don’t think the virus police are going to stop her being with her family ! I would just do it anyway . But that’s the rebel in me !!! ?

Davida1968 Sun 27-Sep-20 10:15:23

I agree with Whatdayisit that (under the present circumstances) Christmas is too far away to be worrying about! IMO just taking life as it comes is enough to focus on at the moment

GranJill Sun 27-Sep-20 10:40:09

I would go. I thought the rules allowed for single people to form a bubble with another household. If the other household is 6 or more it allows for you to still be in the bubble.

Daddima Sun 27-Sep-20 10:49:13

Alexa

Tell her it's like wartime not meant to be comfortable.

Ouch! A wee bit harsh, don’t you think?

HannahLoisLuke Sun 27-Sep-20 10:51:07

I'll probably be in the same boat as my daughters family with children and partners is already six. Also my birthday is on Boxing Day and I usually have the whole family here.
I'm resigned to the fact that this might not happen this year so am gearing myself up to spending it alone, with of course Zoom. I'm already thinking that I'll perhaps plan to do my birthday get together in the summer in the garden if that's allowed by then.
I sympathise with your friend but as others have said, it's just one day and you can make it special if you want to.

CleoPanda Sun 27-Sep-20 10:52:16

Oh my, it makes my blood run cold when I see some of the selfish comments on here such as we will all be together no matter what!!!
Multiply this by thousands across the country and it’s clear that the virus will spread hugely leading to complete lockdown.
Clearly these people have not had the virus or lost someone through it. No thought about anyone other than their own gratification.
Sorry about the rant but thinking you can do whatever you want or treat Christmas as if it’s a virus free holiday is lunacy.
Having been very ill, believe me, you do not want it or want to spread it.
None of us are more special or deserving than everyone else, yet so many people think they’re the exemption.

Gingergirl Sun 27-Sep-20 10:56:31

Christmas! I have to say it’s the last thing on my mind. It will be nice if we see family but if we don’t, there are plenty of other days. I would encourage your friend to realise that she’s not alone with this...why get so upset about one day...Perhaps, if it will help, she can make arrangements now, for seeing some of her family immediately before or immediately after, the big day. For you, I wouldn’t feel bad about it. You can’t perform miracles and your family must take priority. Alternatively, she can do what we’re doing....not plan anything until much, much nearer the time. Who know what the future will bring...

polnan Sun 27-Sep-20 11:00:14

I had worked out, after a great deal of worrying
that a person, living on their own, as in my circumstances
can visit a family of 6 ,ie making 7,

fortunately my family of 6 are my "bubble" anyway. so I can go to them

even then, who knows what it will be like come Christmas time... and I feel that it is not just "Christmas",, it is the long shut down (! lol aren`t we already shut down) but Christmas is over 2 weeks now... so if we are talking about Christmas Day, and Boxing Day, (perhaps) then a single person on their own can visit a family of 6 .

BBC online recently

Grandparents:
If you are single, you could bubble with one of your children's households, but you must stick with them
What a support bubble is
A support bubble is a close support network between a household with only one adult in the home (known as a single-adult household) and one other household of any size.
This is called making a ‘support bubble’.
Once you’re in a support bubble, you can think of yourself as being in a single household with people from the other household. It means you can have close contact with that household as if they were members of your own household.
Once you make a support bubble, you should not change who is in your bubble.
Continue to follow social distancing guidance with people outside of your household or support bubble. This is critical to keeping you, your family and friends as safe as possible.

Not sure why it is headed "Grandparents" I assume any family/friend member.

Lets wait and see... hugs

hulahoop Sun 27-Sep-20 11:03:09

I agree Cleo if rules don't change then lots of people won't be having Christmas they are used to its what it is but if we all defy rules more people will die .

CrazyGrandma2 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:03:20

I think that at the moment there is not much point making any plans for Christmas. Who knows what the rules will be by then.

We normally spend it with our AC and their families. If the rule of 6 applies we will only be able to share it with one of them and I am not prepared to make that choice.

If special arrangements are put in place then I think some will question why that didn't apply to the important festivals observed by other faiths. If we are all supposed to be in it together, why should Christmas be special?

Lancslass1 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:04:09

Dillon's gramma ,it is precisely because some people have got "the rebel in them' that we are in this situation.
There is no point about worrying about what will happen in 3 months time as others have said.

Lynnp Sun 27-Sep-20 11:04:48

I don't really understand the point of the rule of 6. If I can meet 5 people in the morning and a different 5 in the afternoon I'm still risking passing the virus to those 10 people if I unknowingly have it, or catching it from one of them. Can anyone explain?

Suzey Sun 27-Sep-20 11:07:41

Break the rule unless you're ill

Nannan2 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:10:21

I thought it could be allowed more than six for one person living alone? I thought they were allowed to join a family for support? Id check rules again but im pretty sure thats what they said.Especially if they are her 'bubble'? Couldnt her own family be her 'bubble' then? Or maybe you, if you live near her, aonk, and her family dont?

MrsRochester Sun 27-Sep-20 11:10:32

Suzey

Break the rule unless you're ill”

Most people don’t realise they’re “ill”.

Starblaze Sun 27-Sep-20 11:15:00

With the rule of six my own AC couldn't come for Christmas but I have heard that will be lifted for Christmas, hopefully that's the case.

I love the idea that people who are usually alone for christmas could be found a place to celebrate. That would be amazing.

Chardy Sun 27-Sep-20 11:15:47

Spending Christmas alone does not equate to loneliness.

Starblaze Sun 27-Sep-20 11:20:46

Chardy sorry, people who don't want to be alone for christmas being found a way to celebrate would be amazing.