Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wanted: lovely cottage, 300K, semi-remote location, beautiful scenery, mature garden, suggest a location?

(155 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Mon 28-Sep-20 10:34:36

I'm considering moving. Anywhere in England & Wales is possible. Ideally, I'd like a characterful building, medium to large garden. As many bedrooms as 300k will get me. In a really beautiful area. I'd like streams/rivers/woods. Nothing urban. Maybe half-an-hour drive to a town.. Do you know somewhere that fits the bill?

BBbevan Mon 28-Sep-20 20:30:54

Try SW Wales. We live in a semi rural area. Half hour drive to large town and the M4. 10 mins walk to village and railway station. Doctor, dentist etc. 4 mins to the sea. Absolutely ideal.

Eloethan Mon 28-Sep-20 23:14:45

I am not a fan of Suffolk - but then I don't like living in the country -but many people are. Housing is quite reasonable there. Norfolk is, I believe, even cheaper (but cold in winter).

Scribbles Mon 28-Sep-20 23:41:12

Anywhere around Brecon will probably tick most of your boxes.

Nannytopsy Mon 28-Sep-20 23:42:52

Eloethan if you don’t like living in the country, you definitely wouldn’t like Suffolk!

MaryTheBookeeper Tue 29-Sep-20 01:46:16

Omg I've found a gem! I lurve this house..

MaryTheBookeeper Tue 29-Sep-20 01:47:35

I'm worried the heating costs will be astronomical though, check out the size of the radiators... hmm

Hetty58 Tue 29-Sep-20 01:59:25

I keep finding places I love the look of. A large garden is essential. I've found that many are very far from practical, though.

Out in the 'sticks' they often have oil-fired (or no) heating, are all electric or have a lovely septic tank. One had high plug sockets (flood area), another was on a road with no pavements!

MaryTheBookeeper Tue 29-Sep-20 02:24:58

this is super-cute too but the interior's a nightmare.

Davidhs Tue 29-Sep-20 07:08:07

Problem with cottages in nice locations is they are seen as development sites priced at 500k unless they are listed. Unless they are very isolated, more than 30 miles from a city or 50 miles from London prices sky rocket.
If it’s cheap it will need a lot of work to refurbish.

Calendargirl Tue 29-Sep-20 07:14:50

OP says maybe a half hour drive to town. That’s quite a way if you need to go there to doctor, dentist, pharmacy etc.

OK when you drive, what about when you can’t? Probably not much public transport either.

Sorry to sound negative, but country cottages with big gardens out in the sticks may not seem so attractive as you age.

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Sep-20 07:25:33

Just remember as Calendargirl says do not move too far from the Doctor, hospital etc. You never know when you may need them and a 4 hour trip to the nearest hospital is no fun.

Iam64 Tue 29-Sep-20 07:26:24

Trough of Bowland, North Manchester moorlands, Yorkshire dales, North east - unsung gems

grannysyb Tue 29-Sep-20 07:42:54

I'm with Calendargirl, you might not be able to drive in the future, and remote rural areas don't have good public transport.

harrigran Tue 29-Sep-20 08:37:13

Maybe Weardale, lovely countryside.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 29-Sep-20 08:51:44

Cornwall. A lot of choice for £3K inland but towns are in short supply and travel to them is tricky in peak times.
Check out this one.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-84836783.html

Soniah Tue 29-Sep-20 09:38:07

North Wales, perfect. I'm in Caerwys which is very small but has atwo shops, pharmacy, hairdresser, two pub, 15 mins to the beach, lovely walks from home, good views, lots going on (mainly remotely atm but out WI met outside yesterday, we are allowed up to 30 outside distanced as the risk is very low), walking groups, history soc, bowls etc and much better value house than England, welcoming too

marpau Tue 29-Sep-20 09:38:16

Not exactly matching your brief re England and Wales however the scottish borders are hard to beat and you would get change back from your budget.

SueLindsey Tue 29-Sep-20 09:40:39

West Yorkshire is gorgeous and not too expensive. Try the Hebden Bridge area. There is loads going on (and you can nip into Manchester if you fancy a trip to the city.

LuckyFour Tue 29-Sep-20 09:41:09

Lots of beautiful places fit your description here in Devon. Look at Chagford, Dunsford, or any other large village/small town around Exeter.

lizzypopbottle Tue 29-Sep-20 09:41:52

Northumberland! We have a GN meet up group too (although local restrictions are in force right now.)

Pippa22 Tue 29-Sep-20 09:43:42

Head North , East or West. Don’t come South looking as that sum would only get you a one bedroom, basic flat.

Skweek1 Tue 29-Sep-20 09:51:58

I don't know about current prices, but as a child I lived in the Malvern Hills area and if you can find somewhere in that area in your price range, you won't go far wrong.

Rmegan Tue 29-Sep-20 09:54:42

Have a look at Bacton in Norfolk it’s an absolutely beautiful place, lovely beach lovely countryside if I could move there I would.

tiredoldwoman Tue 29-Sep-20 09:54:57

I think you should get a passport and come to St.Andrews in Scotland !
Healthy frost early this morning but too hot and blindingly sunny now . Off to garden and then a hoof on one of our 3 beaches !

Jan16 Tue 29-Sep-20 09:59:34

So many lovely places. But the North Norfolk coast where we live is beautiful