Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is be ok to say I’m worried?

(52 Posts)
honeyrose Fri 20-Nov-20 11:13:07

My SIL has some health problems at the moment - I don’t want to be too specific here, but suffice it to say, the problems could possibly be serious. He is still working (self employed), but is awaiting more investigations into his health problems. Of course, the NHS is under enormous strain at the moment, and there may be delays with these tests. Should I offer to pay for him to go for tests privately? I don’t think they would take me up on this as they’re very independent, but I would be fully prepared to pay. They normally rely on the NHS rather than pursuing private health care. My DD is a real worrier and has anxiety/depression anyway. Is it ok to say that I, too, am worried about SIL? I do try to reassure my DD (but I don’t think she feels reassured as I’m a good listener, but not a good advisor) and I find it difficult to know how to respond when she’s in a state of anxiety, apart from heartfelt empathy and offers of support. I then worry myself stupid, knowing that she’s worried, but I don’t let on! If I tell her not to worry, it seems dismissive and if I express that I’m as worried as she is, this doesn’t feel quite the correct response either, so I try to find the middle ground. I don’t know what to do, but I do worry about DD, SIL and my GC and desperately want to do the right thing to help them.

honeyrose Mon 23-Nov-20 20:49:55

Thanks everyone for your invaluable advice. I can now see things a lot clearer. Your viewpoints are varied and cover different angles, which is of course, what I anticipated, and I therefore feel better informed, but also a bit calmer! Thanks also for your good wishes - very much appreciated.