Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is my sister the Grinch?

(63 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sat 05-Dec-20 21:29:28

Our Mum, bless her, is 80 and getting very forgetful. Last Christmas she couldn't find my presents and got upset. I told her not to worry.

Then my sister called me and asked if Mum had given me any presents. I said she'd mislaid them. So my sister said "Well she's given me two of everything, silver necklace, diary, chocolates etc. I will put yours aside and bring them over". I thanked her for being so kind.

Months later and nothing. I bumped into my sister at Mums house and she was wearing a pretty necklace. I said "Oh, is that what Mum gave you for Christmas, only you never did bring my presents from Mum over."

She replied "I spoke to Mum and she told me she meant to give me two of everything, and nothing to you!"

So much for sisterly love!

Moggycuddler Sun 06-Dec-20 11:03:20

Of course your mum didn't intend that. Sis is being very spiteful.

knspol Sun 06-Dec-20 11:04:46

It's true, you can't choose your relatives.

chattykathy Sun 06-Dec-20 11:05:40

What a horrible thing to do, do you think she might have sold yours or passed them on as gifts to someone else? I'd be wary of her when your DM passes away, she sounds very grabby.

Witzend Sun 06-Dec-20 11:07:03

TBH I would use a rather stronger word than Grinch!

Nannan2 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:10:12

She had no need to 'mention it to your mum' as you had already discussed/sorted it between you..your mum probably said that (if she had!) to save face- as she wouldnt want to look that forgetful. (Would your names not have been on anyway?)even if she put same name twice if one wasnt meant for you she'd have put 2 of everything into one parcel! Your sisters an idiot! A greedy mean jealous idiot! Dont get her a gift from you this year!?

TrendyNannie6 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:16:00

Sounds to me as though she wants to punish you in some way, is she jealous of you foxglove, of course your mum didn’t mean her to have two, one was obviously meant for you, and poor lady got confused, I don’t think your sister sees you in a good light for some reason, sounds a nasty piece of work, I’d watch her foxglove, and the fact she wanted to tell you she’d got gifts from your mum to you, then refuses to bring them to you, and wants to rub your nose in it, I’d start watching her closely she’s not to be trusted

timetogo2016 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:18:36

I agree with all whats been posted.
She wouldn`t be a sister of mine for long thats for sure.

Annaram1 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:26:50

What a shame that your sister has been so unkind. She has taken advantage of a poor old lady and you. She is an unnecessary blighter.

moggie57 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:33:25

That's not nice.

Mapleleaf Sun 06-Dec-20 11:39:24

What bizarre behaviour from your sister. What is she going to do with duplicates? (Eat the chocs, I suppose, but keep 2 diaries & 2 necklaces which I assume were identical?)
Most odd and very unkind.

Caro57 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:43:41

Woeful - why not give her two diaries this year and ask how she intends to use them both!!

Kim19 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:48:39

Gosh. How awful. Never had a sister but presume you have now cut contact. There's an underlying mailcicousmess that I couldn't cope with.

Jaye53 Sun 06-Dec-20 12:16:37

Sorry but she sounds jealous spiteful and downright mean to you.

newnanny Sun 06-Dec-20 12:21:56

When my Gran.had alzimers she gave all of my sisters £100 but one sister was given £100 twice. My Gran was confused. My sister never handed over the £100 to me. One of my.othet sisters mentioned it toy Auntie and she was furious with sister who got £200. My Auntie gave me £100 herself. Back on those days forty years ago that was quite a lot of money. Wheny Auntie died she did not leavey sister anything but everything else shared between the other 4.

Blossoming Sun 06-Dec-20 12:34:17

Your sister is a bitch. Buy her a bunch of sour grapes for Christmas.

readalot Sun 06-Dec-20 12:38:24

What an awful thing to do to you Foxglove. Why tell you in the first place of she wasn't going to give them to you. She doesn't sound like a nice person

Daddima Sun 06-Dec-20 12:42:04

I agree with Nannan, of course Mum would say she meant it, rather than admit she was a bit confused. Doesn’t reflect well on your sister.

Daisend1 Sun 06-Dec-20 12:46:05

Having a forgetful mother AND blessed with a' grinch' of a sister I hardly think your dear mum would have noticed were sis to have given you at least one of the boxes of chocolates.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 06-Dec-20 13:17:01

This is incredibly nasty and makes me feel I need to ask you a distressing question.

If your mother is so forgetful, who has a power of attorney on her behalf?

Frankly, if the answer is your sister, there is much more hurt in store for you.

If no-one in the family is authorised to act on your mother's behalf if it ever becomes necessary, now is the time to do something about that.

Foxglove77 Sun 06-Dec-20 13:17:24

Thanks for all for the comments, her behaviour was hurtful. My sister is the youngest of 4 siblings and has always been my Mums favourite.

Of course I wouldn't hurt my Mum by saying what happened, but writing it down just got it off my chest.

Be kind everyone and Merry Christmas smile

Hildagard Sun 06-Dec-20 14:12:27

Good job we can choose friends not family. I would put your sister on ebay someone may like her!

icanhandthemback Sun 06-Dec-20 14:34:21

It is quite common for people with memory problems not to admit they have made a mistake, my Grandad would do it all the time. One year he completely missed my sister out and nothing would make him admit he had forgotten her even though she had always been his favourite. I think it is sad that your sister hasn't got the generosity of spirit to either give you the presents or give you something to replace the presents you didn't get. Shame on her.

Lollin Sun 06-Dec-20 14:35:27

How old is she? Has she ever displayed such bizarre behaviour before?

Urmstongran Sun 06-Dec-20 14:41:58

Beyond selfish.
And smug with it.

leeds22 Sun 06-Dec-20 14:55:28

How mean. Wonder what she did with the duplicates. My friend's sister refused to recognise their Mum was getting confused, maybe this sister is the same.