Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is my sister the Grinch?

(63 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sat 05-Dec-20 21:29:28

Our Mum, bless her, is 80 and getting very forgetful. Last Christmas she couldn't find my presents and got upset. I told her not to worry.

Then my sister called me and asked if Mum had given me any presents. I said she'd mislaid them. So my sister said "Well she's given me two of everything, silver necklace, diary, chocolates etc. I will put yours aside and bring them over". I thanked her for being so kind.

Months later and nothing. I bumped into my sister at Mums house and she was wearing a pretty necklace. I said "Oh, is that what Mum gave you for Christmas, only you never did bring my presents from Mum over."

She replied "I spoke to Mum and she told me she meant to give me two of everything, and nothing to you!"

So much for sisterly love!

Liz46 Sun 06-Dec-20 15:00:25

Can you manage to get both presents this year to even things up?!

downtoearth Sun 06-Dec-20 15:51:37

Can she wear two necklaces at once?

Does silver go with a brass neck.

Did she recycle the other set of presents.

Horrible woman.

Molly10 Sun 06-Dec-20 16:05:29

I don't think I have ever head anything so selfish and mean spirited.

Well this Christmas I think you should beautifully gift wrap several wonderful boxes, all empty, including your sister's favourite chocolates box. Make sure they feel a bit weighty as if presents are actually inside. Inside I think you should put only little notes eg an empty spirit box with a note saying "Mean Spirit" etc. I'm sure you can come up with something that will suit her.

Buy yourself some treats instead. flowers

mumofmadboys Sun 06-Dec-20 16:08:03

Poor you! But please ignore it and say nothing as if it is of no significance at all. Don't reward her selfish, childish behaviour. She should be ashamed of herself.

rafichagran Sun 06-Dec-20 16:22:32

What a sad person she is. I almost pity her if that's the way her mind works.
She really is a immature sad waste of oxygen. Be the bigger person and dont let this get too you. She should feel ashamed of herself, but people like that never do, I know as I had a sister like that. I decided not to feel hurt, bitter or angry. I just walked away and I feel good about myself, as I felt the bigger person.

biba70 Sun 06-Dec-20 16:27:00

despicable. Even ... even if your mum did say it, because she is getting confused, etc- any sister would have automatically given one to the 'other' sister. She could have chosen the one she liked best, and given the other. But a nice sister would have asked sister to choose, then have the other one.

Beyond words.

Torbroud Sun 06-Dec-20 17:50:29

Families for you, you wouldn't do that to them, but they do it to you.

Hetty58 Sun 06-Dec-20 18:06:50

Foxglove77, I'd really just laugh it off - then never mention it again, as they're just material things.

I certainly wouldn't want my sister or mum to realise that I'd be upset about it. It's just not worth the hassle. Life's too short!

Rosina Sun 06-Dec-20 18:39:51

Yes she is. How nasty and - unseasonal!

LuckyFour Mon 07-Dec-20 07:53:47

Is it possible that your sister is also forgetful and had forgotten she had agreed to give you your presents from your mum. She may have been embarrassed to have forgotten to give them to you.

justwokeup Mon 07-Dec-20 13:41:09

You two are big girls now, you can ignore it or make it an issue, but it was nasty of her too pointing out to your Mum twice that she had made a mistake, when she’s obviously vulnerable.

mauraB Tue 08-Dec-20 02:13:54

I expect that your sister was jealous that you had helped your mum and not her.
She tried to take some charge of the situation by speaking directly to your mother instead of quietly sharing the gifts.
Your mother would be embarrassed at having her error pointed out and made out it was what she intended.
Don't get upset about it, laugh it off, ask Sis if she has two necks. I know how these situations arise, I have several sisters, we had our fallings out as kids and often also as we aged.
However we always hung together. Life was often traumatic
when we were young . So as we grow old we know how to offer support albeit over the phone. I am the middle one and well into my eighties now but what a comfort my annoying bossy sisters are.
So hang on to your sister, pray for her and for yourself and your Mum. Happy Christmas.