Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are you doing today?

(154 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 01-Jan-21 08:33:55

I know we don't have many choices but I'm trying to get the new year off to a dynamic start hmm

I've been a bit lazy of late, to put it mildly, so trying to remedy that and not have too many Groundhog Days.

I'm having a second coffee whilst I plan my day!

Granny23 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:14:35

I'll be putting the pastry on my cooked yesterday, famous steak pie, (specially requested by Son in Law) and taking it along with my Scotch Broth to DD2's house (my bubble). SIL & DGD will prepare the veggies and desserts.

Last night I celebrated "The bells with DD1 + Son Out Law + DGC in their garden with patio heater, fire pit and hot water bottle. All masked and socially distant - kisses were blown from a distance. We crossed the road to get a good view of the firework display at Wallace's Monument at midnight.

I'm counting my blessings that both DDs and their families live in the same wee county - just 3 & 4 Miles away.

Tangerine Fri 01-Jan-21 10:17:33

Yes, Ladyleftfieldlover I know the trees and decorations ought to stay up longer but I find I get fed up with them. It's easier to do the housework without them there so I always take them down New Year's Eve.

I accept that doing so may be contrary to some people's religious beliefs.

Greenfinch Fri 01-Jan-21 10:28:02

Catching up with emails and phone calls to friends and family.

Greenfinch Fri 01-Jan-21 10:32:04

.....Oh ! And listening to the concert from Vienna. Lovely!

Purplepoppies Fri 01-Jan-21 10:54:02

Im really struggling today.
It really hit home that I wasn't getting a call from my mum at midnight last night for the first time in my adult life ?
I think it has kicked my grief off, I haven't been grieving at all until now.
Today I'm just going to be kind to myself, eat what I fancy and rest.

Juicylucy Fri 01-Jan-21 10:54:03

Ladyleftfieldlover I was thinking the same thing about all the trees coming down to early. It’s a shame people do this because this tradition will fade away like many others. My dds used to do it until I encouraged them to leave then until 12th night.

minxie Fri 01-Jan-21 10:54:29

I’m stitching a birthday card today, whilst the lamb is roasting. It’s our last Christmassy day before it all comes down tomorrow and the big clean up gets under way

Nan0 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:56:39

I dont understand taking decorations down before 12th night!! I'd keep them up till Candlemas if I had my way..but the holly ivy fir etc dropping too many leaves by then!

lincolnimp Fri 01-Jan-21 10:56:51

What is this housework I hear talk of?
Even when our trees and decs come down on 12th night, there will not be a huge spring clean.
To be fair, we only moved into the house in August, and it was immaculately clean then.
Today, I am about to go out for a long walk, to be followed every day in January with a similar one. Then I will attempt to encourage my DH to unpack another box of his 'stuff', and hopefully put much of it in the rubbish pile

annsixty Fri 01-Jan-21 10:58:27

I think the expression is “b....r all” as I seem to have done since Feb while waiting, and getting more disabled, for my replacement hip.
I finally got it in a very tiny widow which opened up, in October and although I am now thankfully pain free, my actual progress in getting about is taking longer than I hoped.
I can cook and do a small amount in the house but walking far is beyond me due to the weather, the lack of willpower and my advanced age.
I urge you all to take every single opportunity to do whatever you can while you can.
Your memories can never be taken from you.

Juicylucy Fri 01-Jan-21 10:58:50

Purple poppies sorry to hear that, grieving is a painful process that we have to navigate in however way we see fit. Be kind to yourself and go with however your feeling each day. Sending love.

henetha Fri 01-Jan-21 10:59:01

Heavy frost here. I've been trying to un-freeze the garden birds water containers.
And I've washed woollen/delicate things that can dry in the porch. Too cold for the garden.
Apart from that, I accidentally bought too many carrots and I'm going to blanche then freeze them.
This afternoon I shall watch something on Netflix.

GrammarGrandma Fri 01-Jan-21 11:01:24

I am continuing to let people know my change of address.

Roxie62 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:02:32

I have just done a 30 mim yoga session. Going to take the tree down later. Clean my bathroom and sweep up leaves in back garden. Then rest.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:08:03

Doing a bit of de cluttering which I should have done before Xmas, my Xmas cards came down days ago, generally tidying up. All the usual bits and then after lunch putting my feet up will be watching Sky Q which very recently got and reading later

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:08:10

Ladyleftfieldlover I agree. Once I take the cards down then I have to do dusting! Ugh!!
Probably do nothing apart from making lunch, walking the dog and sorting out tea tonight!!

TrendyNannie6 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:09:11

Oh and dying my hair, new year different shade

Moggycuddler Fri 01-Jan-21 11:16:31

Cooking/preparing food ready for a roast later on. Probably not much else this afternoon. Usual little household jobs, nothing special. We'll relax with a film this evening and finish the last of the Christmas cake.

Kartush Fri 01-Jan-21 11:17:11

I am driving myself and my husband crazy trying to make sure that my house is clean as my son and his family are coming to stay.

f77ms Fri 01-Jan-21 11:18:44

I am watching Oliver for the hundreth time whilst sorting out baskets of hair, make up and various skin products which have accumulated in my bedroom cupboards. Later am going to buy a few essentials from the corner shop then having a lazy afternoon i am afraid. I have been suffering with a very painful neck for ages so need not to over do it ?

Nanacool Fri 01-Jan-21 11:19:26

Seeing to the horses as usual, but battling the ice this morning, everything is frozen. Then hoping to settle down in front of the log burner with Richard Osman's book after taking the dog for a walk meanwhile ignoring my husband's suggestions to help with diy!

Kim19 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:20:03

I'm impressed. You're all so wonderfully active and here am I still in bed. It's so cosy and very minus outside - but the sun is doing its best - that I can't motivate myself. However the thought of a lovely shower is slowly tempting me and then I will continue with a curtain making project I'm in the middle of. I've also a new iPad to try to master but I can only handle 30 minute sessions of frustration at the moment. Can't believe I'm having so much difficulty when this one I'm using is a breeze (but running out of steam, unfortunately). Hey ho and onwards.......

SueSocks Fri 01-Jan-21 11:21:43

Not much! Check on the greenhouse, finish my book, sort & organise some more of the (nearly 5000) photos on my computer. Also practice my ukulele as this has lapsed since our ukulele groups stopped meeting in March.

rowanflower0 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:24:53

Doing a bit more of my Christmas puzzle; taking the trees down and sorting ad culling the decorations before storing; might do a bit of my much -neglected applique picture; sort and cull my 'library' a bit more!

Phloembundle Fri 01-Jan-21 11:27:23

Went down to mum's flat to make her breakfast. Had mine, went back down to mum to help her wash and dress. Sorted her new calendar out. Took down decos then went in garden to break ice on bird water bowls and top up their seeds. Took out some rubbish, then sat down and wrote this. Will now have a cup of tea. Happier New Year to one and all.