Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I Feel Terrible

(180 Posts)
beautybumble Wed 10-Feb-21 19:40:36

My 5 year old GD is a screamer. I adore her of course and have some wonderful times with her. But she screams blue murder if she can't get her own way. My DD is beside herself with worry about it as bedtimes can be horrendous. So yesterday, I was looking after her and her 7 year old sister and she kept taking her sister's toys off of her. Normal behaviour I know, but when I tried to explain that she mustn,t do that, she started, big time. I usually manage to calm her down, but not this time. So I made her sit on the stairs and told her she could come back when she's calm again. Well this went on far too long and I'm sorry to say I shouted at her. I shouldn't have. Now my daughter is very unhappy about how I was too hard on her. I've looked after grandchildren a lot for the last 10 years and was always good with them and they were usually good too. But now I feel so bad as I'm told I won't be needed anymore.

nanna8 Mon 15-Feb-21 11:15:18

I think you did just fine. You didn’t hit the child after all. She probably exaggerated to her mother to get sympathy. She will no doubt grow out of it and if a shout is all she gets to upset her she will be one lucky child!

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 11:56:11

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Woodmouse Tue 16-Feb-21 15:29:09

I honestly thought you were going to say that you smacked her! What on earth is wrong with shouting at a child if they are being really ill behaved? I hardly ever shouted at my children but when I did they knew they'd overstepped the mark.

dizzygran Wed 14-Apr-21 09:45:15

Do not worry. You were stressed - with reason and reacted. GD needs some firm handling or things will get worse. Tough love. DD will get over it and GC will forget. This time will pass?Do not keep apologising.