Late bucket list? Any unrealized dreams?

Foxglove77 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:28:02

I was just considering what I would still love to do. I dont fancy jumping out of a plane or a bungee jump. I do want to see the Giants causeway and cuddle a koala. Maybe drive a steam train. What dreams do you still have?

SecondhandRose Sat 13-Mar-21 11:24:50

I just want to live by the sea

Nan0 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:25:22

Cycling john of groatss to lands end with just a Barclaycard nd minimal luggage taking pot luck where to stay every night. A pipe dream..

B9exchange Sat 13-Mar-21 11:26:15

Yes the Northern Lights have always eluded us too, as soon as we head anywhere near, the weather turns warm and cloudy! Anyone taken up the Hurtigruten promise of another cruise if you don't spot them?

Nannan2 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:27:26

CanadianGran- Quirky Campers do hire out fully equipped/converted camper vans for holidays/trips- you could get in touch with them to see if they have them in other countries too?(you collect them where you need to)?

Bluedaisy Sat 13-Mar-21 11:29:26

We’ve been lucky to have done 2 things that were on our bucket list twice over. The first was to see Barbra Streisand in concert which we did in Ireland. It was in the grounds of a large Manor House. It was a fabulous experience and James Garner and her dog Sammie came on at the end, she had a 58 piece orchestra and although it started to rain it was just something else sitting in this marvellous setting watching her show. We then saw her in Canada about 5 years later and did another thing on our bucket list on our way which was to do a transatlantic cruise on the QM2, fabulous. We’ve been fortunate to do that cruise twice too. Second time back to the UK we didn’t enjoy it so much as the Americans don’t seem to get the UK glamour of cruising, some even came down to the shows on formal nights in PJ’s and slippers! The one thing that’s on my list now and covid has really brought home to me how important it is to me to do it if I can is to holiday with my DB and families either on a cruise or hiring a big motor home and have one hell of a time so that his and our adult kids have got some family memories as my DB and myself didn’t speak for many years which we now realise was stupid and a waste of years and he now lives in the USA so we don’t see each other very often

Ealdemodor Sat 13-Mar-21 11:29:28

At the moment, I yearn to stroll round John Lewis, Next or Waterstones, have a coffee and go to the Library.

Nannan2 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:29:32

Theres a lot on here for the Borealis and Koalas aren't there??

cassandra264 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:30:39

Last year was going to be the one when we made up for several years of other half in and out of surgeries and hospitals following op done by incompetent surgeon. All plans then cancelled, like everyone else's.

Still have one or two places in other parts of the world I would very much like to visit if/when possible - New Zealand; South Africa ? - but, most of all, I now look forward to seeing more of the friends and family at a distance, whose company I have missed over the past year.

And I hope that if my son and his partner are fortunate, one day I will have a second GC (daughter and seriously ill husband unable to have any more) - and live long enough for him/her to remember me and the good times we all had together.

handbaghoarder Sat 13-Mar-21 11:35:43

I would love to have a holiday in Margate. Spent many happy summer holidays there in my early teens as I had an aunt lived there. Amazing time and I would love to revisit some of my old haunts. Would love to go back to Australia and New Zealand. We have visited Uluru and booked dinner out under the stars. That day the clouds opened and we had torrential rain. Obviously dinner was cancelled. We had dinner inside then found the one bar where alcohol was served . It was full of backpackers and young people. There was a guy on stage with a guitar and we all danced and sang until the early hours. We were actually in Oz touring round following Bruce Springsteen and my bucket list very much includes him! We’ve also done the Orient Express from Venice to London which I had always longed to do. I agree with Grandma11 that reality and expectation dont always match. The cabins are tiny - the seats converting to bunk beds, not ideal at our age ( I understand they have three carriages with double beds now??). The toilet is shared with the whole carriage. Obviously no bathing. We couldnt get into the bar as it was rammed with people. We spent a lot of time sitting in station sidings awaiting our time slots to move on. And I felt travel sick. Never had that before in my life. The food however was exquisite, and in continuous supply. Afternoon tea was a joy. Overall very glad we did it, just wouldnt do it again.

GrammaH Sat 13-Mar-21 11:37:35

I'd like to go on the trans Siberian railway in 1st Class and also down the Mississippi on board one of the luxurious paddle steamers. I can't see it happening so, in the meantime & bring more realistic, I'd settle for a trip over the nearby Welsh border to reach the sea- how I have missed it during lockdown!

nipsmum Sat 13-Mar-21 11:42:20

I wanted to go to New Zealand when I was in my 20s but my father would not allow it even though 2 of my aunts were there with their families. In the 70s my husband went there to work for 6 months. I never got to go and there is no chance now.

Foxglove77 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:43:36

B9exchange I love that your father got his last cruise. It reminds me of my elderly grandparents wanting one last holiday to Malta. My grandfathers health wasn't good and insurance was an issue, but they went anyway and had a lovely time. I saw them not long after in the local supermarket buying a lottery ticket. It was heartwarming that they still hoped for a win, smiling and holding hands.

SillyNanny321 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:48:37

So much I would have liked to do but we never went anywhere outside GB. Would love to visit Egypt, Australia, see Northern Lights & much more. Too old & too broke now so if reincarnation does happen & I dont come back as an ant & get stepped on I can maybe do all that then ?

B9exchange Sat 13-Mar-21 11:49:19

How lovely Foxglove, it is important to keep following dreams, no matter how old you are!

paperbackbutterfly Sat 13-Mar-21 11:49:45

I want to go to Windsor castle. We have booked 3 times in the last 10 years and each time we had to cancel. I'd also like to see Legoland but I believe you can't go without CHILDREN!

tictacnana Sat 13-Mar-21 11:50:05

I would like to visit Western Australia. My Great grandfather died and was buried there in 1914. I feel close to him as I have all of his letters home that were written to my GGM here in Lancashire.

jaybee66 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:58:44

I'd like to cruise the North West Passage but think that travel insurance will be too much these days.

Alioop Sat 13-Mar-21 12:02:22

Foxglove, I live an hour from The Giants Causeway, I'll be your tour guide lol.
I would like to stay in a glass pod in Norway to watch the Northern Lights and then go on a long husky ride through the snowy forests. I've been on a day trip to Lapland, did the husky & reindeer rides, saw Santa,etc, but would love to of stayed for longer.

Annaram1 Sat 13-Mar-21 12:26:08

For all those who think they are too old to travel, I would like to reassure them that if they go on escorted holidays everything possible is done to help them. Starting with the airport, you can get assistance from the check in desk, where they will arrange a buggy or wheelchair to take you right up almost to the plane. This is free although I usually give a tip of £1. If you find it difficult to get up any steps you can get assistance in the form of a lift up to the back of the plane. You can also get seats near the toilet. On disembarking you will get transport arranged by the tour operator to take you to your hotel. Everything is done to help. I am 80 with asthma and arthritis, and in the last 4 years have been to Vietnam, Spain, Brazil and Egypt. There is always someone on hand to help you onto a bus or push you in a wheelchair.
Let me emphasize this is on EXCORTED holidays, not if you arrange everything yourself. Good luck.

HillyN Sat 13-Mar-21 12:29:19

Another for the Northern Lights here. I love hot tubs and the Blue Lagoon in Iceland looks marvellous.
I also yearn to travel on the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express through the Alps, for the views of mountains and lakes. I prefer them to sea views.
Failing that, maybe a hot tub in the back garden!

Annaram1 Sat 13-Mar-21 12:38:34

I forgot to say that my bucket list for maybe this autumn (should I live that long) is to go to Israel.

Sweetness1 Sat 13-Mar-21 12:53:03

In the 70s I went on the hippie trail by an old bus to India ending up in Australia eventually. Now I would like to travel like Michael portillo on the continental rail journeys ?

Nanette1955 Sat 13-Mar-21 12:58:52

Fly in a glider, and a trip in a hot air balloon.

Fernhillnana Sat 13-Mar-21 12:59:02

Using wild animals as “experiences” is a cruel and evil industry. Please don’t encourage this, animals suffer extreme torture to make them “tame” ie drugged and their spirits broken to make them safe for humans to torment. Just don’t.

Lizzie44 Sat 13-Mar-21 13:14:33

I've been fortunate to fulfil most of my travel bucket list wishes. I've watched the sun rise over the sand dunes in Namibia and seen a leopard and her cub in the bush. Been dogsledding on a glacier in Alaska. Flown in a seaplane in Canada. Walked up Table Mountain on my 60th birthday. Visited many of Europe's great art galleries, enjoyed deserted sandy beaches on remote Scottish islands. All that remains on my bucket list now is visiting my family 300 miles away in Scotland, and sitting on a beach (any beach!) looking out to the horizon and listening to waves crashing on the shore.