Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Late bucket list? Any unrealized dreams?

(114 Posts)
Foxglove77 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:28:02

I was just considering what I would still love to do. I dont fancy jumping out of a plane or a bungee jump. I do want to see the Giants causeway and cuddle a koala. Maybe drive a steam train. What dreams do you still have?

Joesoap Sat 13-Mar-21 13:37:00

I cuddled a kola in Featherdale Wildlife Park i Sydney about twenty five years ago, it was a lovely experience. I also adopted a Koala, his name was Duncan.
I have walked almost to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
Left on my list, is a climb on Sydney Harbour bridge, this might have to wait, I am having a hip replacement next week!

polly123 Sat 13-Mar-21 13:43:17

We were lucky enough to fulfil one of our special wishes and that was to see Pavarotti live. We saw,heard and sang with him at his request, at Leeds Castle and it was one of his last performances. Absolutely fantastic. and memorable. I would like to travel on the Orient Express, revisit Venice (have been 5 times so far) and at the moment, just get to Cornwall where we go regularly and go back to the Tate in St.Ives. Hope it won't be too long now!

hulahoop Sat 13-Mar-21 13:57:55

We said when retired we would like to travel on trains seeing as much as possible unfortunately retirement brought a lot of serious health issues for both of us then covid arrived buying complaining and wish now is to spend quality time with family .

hulahoop Sat 13-Mar-21 13:59:09

Don't know where buying came from should say but .

notgoneyet Sat 13-Mar-21 14:06:15

CanadianGran another alternative to renting a camper van is, if you can afford it, to buy one - do your trip, then sell it on your return. It won't have had too long to depreciate; even though you will have added to the mileage that is expected of camper vans. There is always a market for them, and it would cost you much less than renting in the long run

Kim19 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:07:58

This has indeed been a lovely thread for me. It stirs up all sorts of lovely memories of the many places I've been fortunate enough to visit (and some almost forgotten!) in my lifetime. I've no new places on my hit list but wouldn't mind returning to some of those already visited. In the meantime I'll be VERY happy just to travel around our glorious UK and do physical catch up with friends and family. Certainly not venturing off this island this year. Roll on permission!

Jaffacake2 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:14:01

I find bucket lists strange because when you are close to kicking the bucket the only place in the world you want to be is in the arms of your loved ones.
I speak from personal experience as have been resuscitated twice in last few years. When I came round I was so thankful to see my daughters and my only wish is to live long enough to see grandchildren grow up.

Mini2020 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:22:14

I want to walk Snowdonia and my Son has agreed to accompany me!

Kerenhappuch Sat 13-Mar-21 14:23:07

We went to Iceland a few years ago, but missed out on the Northern Lights. So I’d really like to see those, maybe on a Northern Lights cruise where I think there may be more chance of seeing them.

B9exchange Sat 13-Mar-21 14:28:50

No animals I have been in contact with have ever been drugged, I have always researched carefully, which any responsible traveller will do. There are irresponsible places that ought to be shut down, and that can best be done by raising evidenced concerns and by not giving them any business. I was appalled in Africa to have a baby crocodile with its jaws taped shut suddenly thrust at me. That place has now closed. But look at places like the David Sheldrick elephant orphanage in Nairobi. Those babies are having the time of their lives after being rescued, and before growing big enough for release. Just don't wear white trousers to visit them, they have a huge sense of fun!

chazwin Sat 13-Mar-21 14:31:33

When I was 8, and men stepped on the Moon I was promised that there would be Moon bases and space tourism by the year 2000. There is still no prospect of this occurring.
If only I could live to 150 there may still be a chance.

Craftycat Sat 13-Mar-21 14:50:33

I still want to be a ballet dancer. Unfortunately my dancing ability was well below par but I can dream!

Absgran Sat 13-Mar-21 15:29:04

Thailand! Always wanted to go.

lilydily9 Sat 13-Mar-21 15:33:24

Would love to experience travelling on the Orient Express. Maybe sometime...

Barmeyoldbat Sat 13-Mar-21 15:37:15

I would love to travel overland from my house in Somerset to Japan. It can be done and I have already costed it out . Would need to go by the Tran Siberian railway and then a two day ferry crossing to Japan. We haven't gone because my health is not so good at the moment but it will improve, hopefully I can do it then. Would also like to see The red Square in Moscow during the winter.

cupcake1 Sat 13-Mar-21 16:11:49

I have been lucky enough to go to Borneo and see in the wild orang-utans, pygmy elephants and other native animals and birds and it was amazing I loved it and definitely ticked that one off the bucket list. I’d go again in a heartbeat. Been on safari 3 times and each time magical. Cuddled a koala at Lone Pine Animal Sanctuary near Brisbane and been to the Great Barrier Reef and I’ve seen bears in Canada. I realise I’ve been very fortunate and take nothing for granted. Most of my travels consist of seeing animals in the wild as that’s my passion. I would love to see the mountain gorillas but doubt very much that will happen. I’ll just be happy to go into shops again and eat in a restaurant!

scourw Sat 13-Mar-21 16:11:59

I would love to visit the Eden Project. Maybe even just in VR.

choughdancer Sat 13-Mar-21 16:24:57

Fernhillnana

Using wild animals as “experiences” is a cruel and evil industry. Please don’t encourage this, animals suffer extreme torture to make them “tame” ie drugged and their spirits broken to make them safe for humans to torment. Just don’t.

I quite agree! There is no way that adult lions could be touched safely without them being drugged, de-clawed and/or trained not to follow their instincts. You only have to google 'petting a lion cub' to get page after page from reputable organisations saying that it is abuse however much the people offering this 'experience' might say otherwise.

GrauntyHelen Sat 13-Mar-21 16:46:40

I'd love a Northern Lights cruise and to get my husband to fly anywhere

Forestflame Sat 13-Mar-21 16:58:54

I would love to go to Iceland,and stay in an ice hotel. Also Australia and Canada and Fiji. Would love to see the Northern lights and visit Scotland.
GrandMattie, I have been to the Falklands, saw Dolphins and ? it was amazing. Nanette1955, if you get the chance to go in a glider, grab it, I did and it was brilliant ☺️

Lynda152 Sat 13-Mar-21 17:09:27

Liz46 - We did a group tour of Vietnam and Cambodia a few years ago. We spent several hours on a fast speedboat travelling up the Mekong river from Vietnam into Cambodia. Wonderful experience!

Musicgirl Sat 13-Mar-21 17:34:44

I held a koala ? in Queensland, Mr Peabody, and it remains one of the best experiences of my life. We went to Australia at Easter 2015 and it really was the holiday of a lifetime for me.

fluttERBY123 Sat 13-Mar-21 17:36:03

Had a health scare a few years ago false alarm. Concentrates the mind. Anyway did 2 things while I could, one was the cruise St Petersburg (berg?) to Moscow. Best ever. The other was to help redecorate a flat for a family member who would never have got on with it otherwise. Best thing I ever did was visit Taj Mahal. Pics do.not do it justice, it seems to.float.

Nannyfrance Sat 13-Mar-21 17:45:42

On my 65th birthday I did a deep sea dive in the Barrier Reef. I am not a strong swimmer but the tour operators were excellent and gave me a lot of encouragement. The colours of the plants and fish were amazing. It was something I’d always wanted to see. I even found Nemo.

Readerjb Sat 13-Mar-21 21:39:00

Ailidh can I come share your permanent bucket list. I’m an Aussie, but have had the chance to stay in London six times, as an old school friend has lived there since 1982. And in 2016 went with my Liverpool- born husband to UK, travelling from London to the Lakes District via Blackpool. It was a sunny May Day, and we loved the waterfront.