Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

People who constantly brag

(103 Posts)
Madwoman11 Wed 14-Apr-21 10:47:26

This is not a major problem but it is becoming slightly annoying.
Someone I cannot avoid just goes on and on about what she is buying for the home, and for herself. Always top of the range things, and this is her whole conversation.
I can't avoid this person, but I am very close to saying something along the lines of " I'm not interested how much your new sofa or car cost, and I'm not impressed by peoples possessions". Or perhaps I should just yawn and say "Really "
Btw I aren't jealous I am financially secure, and have a lovely home myself.

M0nica Wed 14-Apr-21 17:27:52

Whether I would do it or not, I do not know, but if someone was like that with me, I would greet the boast with concern and say 'that much! I am sure you could have got it cheaper elsewhere. Did you look on ebay.

I just wonder if you treated her boasting as a sign of her being foolish for paying far too much for everything that she could buy cheaper elsewhere,she might stop doing it (to you at least)

sodapop Wed 14-Apr-21 21:15:53

It's a very true saying that some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

GrandmaMia1 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:37:15

My neighbour is like this too. We both also have people in RAF and she is obsessed with rank. I am not interested in rank or how much she spends, it’s difficult but try to let it go over your head or say something about the lack of need to consume, especially since lockdown

Applegran Thu 15-Apr-21 10:37:29

Bragging or boasting always strikes me as suggesting an inner feeling of not being or having enough - its a painful place to be, though one I think isn't too uncommon. Different people deal with a feeling of 'not enough' in different ways. You can choose of course, either to listen and become a closer friend, who she might end up feeling ok with and no need to boast to, or be courteous but not choose to be with her much in future.

Patsy429 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:37:59

At least the bragging about the cruises has stopped!

JaneJudge Thu 15-Apr-21 10:40:44

I know someone like this. She actually stopped doing it as I think I must have given out a silent but clear message I wasn't impressed (??) but as someone said earlier, she had loads of really heavy unhappiness going on sad she is actually really lovely

Noreen3 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:42:26

People who brag about how good they are at doing things used to annoy me.But perhaps lockdown has made me change my way of thinking.We just have to be ourselves,I like to quietly get on with things,and I can be a good listener too.When I was at work,I was a better worker than some of those who kept on about how wonderful they were.

Pinkshoes26 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:44:28

I would say - good for you, I don’t need the clutter!

Secondwind Thu 15-Apr-21 10:47:07

I do wonder about what is ‘going on’ with some people and ponder whether, sadly, mental health issues might sometimes be involved There is a person in my life who buys the top range of everything. I was with her once when she spent £215.00 online on a single pillow. And later bought a second! She is constantly a victim and doesn’t seem to be able to cope with things that most people would just shrug off. Maybe it all acts as some sort of psychological balm. All she seems to be able to talk about is herself, her dog and how much things cost.

dragonfly46 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:47:16

I find your comments interesting felice.
When we lived in the Netherlands we came back to UK for a visit. At a party I was asked what car I drove (I rode a bike), which school my children went to (the one on the corner) and what job I did to pay for all these luxuries (I stayed at home)!

After that conversation they had nothing left to talk to me about!

Coconut Thu 15-Apr-21 10:48:29

There’s nothing wrong with just saying “ can we please not talk about possessions today” as soon as she starts ! Or can you not just walk off saying you have not time today ? I have a very elderly Mum who’s constantly criticising everyone, and I just flatly refuse to listen to constant negativity. I change the subject and if that doesn’t work I just tell her straight, politely of course.

Frosty60 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:54:48

I know a couple or so people who brag about how good they are at things such as baking, sewing, knitting and their so called many friends, how good they are. I just listen and take it with a pinch of salt. I have in total of about 5 really good friends and I’m quite happy with that. I’m not always in touch with them constantly but I know they are at the other end of the phone if I need them and vise versa. One of the people I know who brags about how brilliant her friends are and the amount she knows is my sons future MIL. My son said at Easter because her friends had dropped so many Easter eggs off for the grandchildren, it’s a good job My mum doesn’t know that many or else the children would be eating chocolate until next Easter which I thought was really funny.

Witzend Thu 15-Apr-21 10:55:58

Some long-term neighbours of ours are definitely (self)-defined by possessions, or maybe I should say that their self-esteem is bound up with e.g. what cars are on the drive. And one of them (the wife, I’m afraid to say) most certainly judges other people’s worth solely by what car and other possessions they have.

She has passed this attitude on to at least one of their children, who has been royally screwed up by it.

Paperbackwriter Thu 15-Apr-21 10:58:27

Oh this reminds me so much of my auntie who lived in Blackpool. We'd go up and stay for a week every summer and as soon as we got there she'd steer my mum on a house tour and show off what she'd bought since we were last there. It would be anything from a new bedroom suite to (yet another) mink jacket. I did love her and my mum and I used to laugh about it.

greenlady102 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:58:34

I am reminded of a sying that is floating around at the moment "in a world where you can be anything, be kind"

Antonia Thu 15-Apr-21 10:58:47

The trouble is, just talking about something can be perceived as bragging. If you buy a new car, or something for the house, or go on holiday, or if, like me, you are proud of your grandchildren and talk about them, I don't see this as bragging exactly. I call it talking about things that are of interest to you.
Most subjects can come under the umbrella of bragging. If you suffer from an illness or injury, it's natural enough to talk about it.
What subjects can people talk about which are not perceived as bragging?
Most people, whether they admit it or not, are mainly interested in themselves and their loved ones. It's polite to listen to other people talk about their own lives, but how many of us can truly say we are really interested in what others tell us? We may be momentarily interested or concerned, and have a reciprocal conversation, but deep down, we are concerned about our own affairs.

Gypsyqueen13 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:01:08

I have a friend who as a child had very little in the way of luxuries. As an adult she is now in a position where she has a large disposal income. When we were able to shop she would post pics on Facebook of the bags of shopping - invariably designer brands. She is currently renovating her home and garden and posts updates on Facebook of these. She is a lovely lady and I am delighted for her that she is able to treat herself to these little luxuries but I don’t understand why she feels the need to ‘boast’ about her life.

Teddy123 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:01:17

Although we all know people like that, they're not really doing any harm. Just gets a bit boring. I prefer that than people who gossip about their friends.

LaGoulue Thu 15-Apr-21 11:01:56

I think “well, if they’ve gotta brag about it, they’ve never been used to it” . My late mother loved to brag how well her children had done and the big houses they had. Thirty years ago, I remember my sister had moved to a new detached house the same time as my brother moved to his new detached house. Me, I lived half way between the two in my little 20 year old semi. My mum’s sister was over in the UK from the States, and my mum couldn’t wait for her sister to visit my brother and sister, literally having to pass my door. It would seem my house wasn’t good enough to visit. I had to “rise above” it, but then my mum could be tactless and say and do things without thinking,

Camelotclub Thu 15-Apr-21 11:02:45

Reminds me of a woman I met (once, thank heavens, never to be seen again) at a funeral who kept on about the cruises she and DH had been on. I didn't bother mentioning that wild horses couldn't drag me onto a cruise ship!

Frogs Thu 15-Apr-21 11:07:56

My neighbour once told me that she'd managed to get the quote for her bathroom refurbishment down from £32k to £10k and that the radiator alone cost £1k. This was 20 years ago .......... WHAT ! ....... the quote was for 8' x 6' bathroom - I couldn't help but burst out laughing there and then. ?

Buffybee Thu 15-Apr-21 11:08:58

Funnily enough, I met a bragging woman I had never met on my morning dog walk.
She somehow brought the conversation round to a very wealthy but obnoxious farmer/landowner who lives in the village.
She was telling me how well she knew Jack and how she saw him counting his wads of money the other day, as her house overlooks his fields.
Most people intensely dislike this farmer, who has been prosecuted for animal cruelty and he is a boor.
She went on and on bragging about his new Rolls, the son and daughters cars etc.
I let her go on, then smiled and told her that Jack wasn’t very well liked and for all his money, you really can’t buy “class”, can you.
Smiled and walked off!

jenpax Thu 15-Apr-21 11:19:34

I get irritated by people who define “worth“ by money and possessions! I value kindness and decency before stuff and dont really understand people who think boasting about stuff makes them better than others!

JdotJ Thu 15-Apr-21 11:20:01

FindingNemo15

Slightly different, but also annoying - people bragging about medical conditions. If I had an earache theirs would be worse, if I had two stitches they would have had six, etc. etc.

I try to avoid them at all costs.

Yes I know what you mean. And whenever they see a medical professional it isn't just any medical professional, it's always the 'top one in the country'!

Joesoap Thu 15-Apr-21 11:21:45

We are having people here in a few minutes for lunch, and do they brag! I cant stand it to be honest, I have heard it all before it is so boring,I wish they would get a life or remember what they had told us before. I am too patient I dont comment, but am boiling inside.