Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I move to be by my daughter

(109 Posts)
Sparkling Tue 04-May-21 19:28:16

I see my daughter rarely, although 16 miles away, she said if I move nearer she would see more of me as I get older. It’s a lovely village and I know I would make friends. I am concerned leaving the life I have and a neighbourhood I know so well , I keep thinking half an hour isn’t too far if she wanted to see me now. Advice would be appreciated as I know she won’t be pleased if I decide to stay. There’s just this niggle.

Hithere Wed 05-May-21 19:09:42

With his update, no way I would move

Hithere Wed 05-May-21 19:09:55

This, sorry, not his

Pinnywinch Wed 05-May-21 19:13:02

This made me smile.

My daughter has asked the same thing, but she’s 400 miles away! I’ve been down for three separate weeks now to help with childcare (one of my grandsons has extra needs), and have a few more weeks planned for the remainder of the year.
However, my life is here for the time being and I don’t want to retire yet (I’m 62). I enjoy my jobs (2 part time) and don’t fancy sitting around doing not much at all.
I have promised to think again in five years time though. ?

Panda25 Wed 05-May-21 20:11:50

If she rarely sees you when you are only 30 minutes away I honestly can't see her making an effort if you are nearer. Stay put

paperbackbutterfly Wed 05-May-21 20:13:58

Please don't. My cousin's excuse for not visiting my aunt was the 10 mile distance. My aunt moved and 18 months later my cousin moved a long way away. Now my aunt lives in an area where she feels very isolated. Stay where you are happy

Elvis58 Wed 05-May-21 21:12:08

I would not move personally.My friend did this and 2 years later her daughter upped and moved 160 miles away.My friend decided not to follow and sees her 4 times a year.

poshpaws Wed 05-May-21 21:23:57

I'd be loathe to move just to please a daughter who (I'm sorry if this is hurtful, I don't intend it that way) could only be bothered to see me rarely despite living a mere 16 miles away. I live very rurally, so it's actually 16 miles to my nearest shops and filling station; 26 miles to my preferred shopping town and my vet, 14 miles to my GP practice - I think nothing of driving 26 miles every week to get my shopping: it only takes me 20 minutes. (I'm 68 next month if that's relevant). If your daughter actually wanted to see more of you, 16 miles should prove no obstacle at all unless she doesn't drive and there is no public transport between your two homes. Why give up the life you have and a neighbourhood you know so well for someone so uncaring? And why won't she be pleased if you decide to stay? Is she a bully? Does she want you for childcare? Red flags are waving in my mind ... please think very carefully before you make a possibly rash decision that you'd live to regret.

sharon103 Thu 06-May-21 02:01:00

After reading your post Sparkling Wed 05-May-21 18:52:20
Don't even think about moving is my advice.