Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is it wrong to not let MIl have LO every week?

(83 Posts)
AbbieS9812 Tue 20-Jul-21 12:47:43

Hi everyone so I'm a mum wanting some advice and opinions from the nans smile
My little girl is 18 months. Mil has had her a handful of times for a couple hours, taken her for walks. She lives at the end of the street so she does get to see LO a lot, some weeks its twice another it can be 5 times. I've always hated how much she visits and the ammount of pressure ive gotten to leave little one with MIL from before she was born. Essentially this has pushed me away and made me feel weird about it.
Shes voiced that she wants to have over nights, have her alone every weekend. When I do visit them I always take her, I dont leave her. She seems to be upset about this. I do rely on my family more. For example, I got heatstroke and the aftermath of the symptoms made looking after lo difficult. my grandad picked me and lo up and I've gone to stay with then for a couple days. It gives me a break as they love playing with lo, I also get their company. No matter how old I am their company makes me feel so secure. They live 30mins away, some may say this isnt a big drive but because I dont drive and live close to a station and for them it's a long journey I only get to see them everyone weeks, I stay over for 3 days. MIL was asking why I didnt ring her for help instead, Why I dont let her have lo when I've got an appointment instead of asking my family. It's just natural for me to think of asking them first? I'm a stay at home mum so dont leave lo much anyway but when I do my first instinct is to ask my family. This seems to bother her, but she has told me before that her mum and family were the first people she went to for babysitting.
She think she doesnt get enough 1 on 1 time with lo but to me she gets to see LO a lot? She doesnt do he careing side like dinners, baths but gets to sit down and play with her. It seems that unless its alone it doesnt mean much. She would like to babysit every weekend, I dont need the help and i also dont feel comfortable after how hard and rude she has been with pressuring me to say yes. Am I being selfish. Part of me thinks I'm not and the other half does?

midgey Tue 20-Jul-21 12:57:00

Grandparents have no rights over their grandchildren! Don’t let her bully you.

Namsnanny Tue 20-Jul-21 12:58:53

I think you've answered your own question really havent you?

We dont really know the people involved, only you do, so you must make the decision.

You do not need the permission of unknown grannies to put your conscience at peace.

Grandmabatty Tue 20-Jul-21 13:00:42

What does your partner say to his mother's demands?

AbbieS9812 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:05:35

My partners a bit soft? Mil has definitely been telling him how she doesnt get to see LO enough, thay she never gets to babysit etc. So whenever I'm tierd or want to go for a walk, have a day out.. he just says, take her to see MIL instead. Hes not very helpful he just goes along with everything and doesnt care to listen to the issues I have.

sodapop Tue 20-Jul-21 13:06:08

Your child your rules Abbie you don't mention how your husband feels about all this. You need to decide what amount of time you want your child to spend with his parents together and stick to it.
As midgey said don't let her bully you.

TerriBull Tue 20-Jul-21 13:08:37

This all sounds quite familiar, did you post about a similar situation before?

Everyone will post the same response. No you are not being unreasonable or selfish, this is your child if you are uncomfortable about your m-i-law's ridiculous expectations, and they are, then you have to make that clear to her, in fact her son, your partner should be telling her. why isn't he?

The fact of the matter is you are not alone, these situations come up time and time again, more so on MN. Seeing a grandchild 5 times a week is an awful lot, excessive if, you the mother feel under pressure and stressed out on those occasions. It's only reasonable to leave a young grandchild, and at 18 months, she is not much more than a baby, overnight if both parties are happy with that, clearly you aren't and your judgement and feelings are paramount. As for her being rude to you, I'd just cut off contact for a while, she can't come into your house if you don't answer the door.

You are being bullied, once again get your partner to tell his mother to back off.

Good luck.

Grandmabatty Tue 20-Jul-21 13:10:56

Then it's really a husband problem you have. He is more bothered by upsetting her than upsetting you. I would suggest if she messages you, you tell her you'll pass it on to your oh. Ignore the requests for babysitting. If she ramps the complaints up, pass them on to your oh. Ask how he is going to solve it. His mother, his problem. Easier said than done, I know.

AbbieS9812 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:15:34

Even when I was pregnant I had a gut feeling that MIl always wanted to treat my baby like hers, sees her as a secound chance and the baby girl shes always wanted. I can understand it to some extent, if I ever become a nan I'd be able to reminse on being a mum to a small child. I trust mil with LO but feels like she wants to take her away from me and want her to need her more than me. Mim wants lo to cry for her so bad, taunts her as she leaves by opening and closing the front door. Calling her name so she sees mil is about to leave. Lo never cries for her as she isnt the clingy type, but if she makes the slightest noise (could be for a toy.. anything) she will walk back in and go awwww I'm here ? it makes me cringe so bad. Along with the pressure that's pushing me away, she gives me a weird vibe. My family love lo to bits, can play with her, do whatever. But when it comes to mil she just seem to have a different motive, like she is trying to take her away, so I get protective and refuse to leave LO with her and stop her creating the mother and daughter bond she is trying to create with her. This was hard to admit, its embarrassing but I like to know if I am being stupid ?

Smileless2012 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:15:40

I do find threads like these rather difficult to get my head around TBH. Just say no to the things you don't want to do.

wildswan16 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:18:47

I think you got a lot of good advice a few months ago. This is your child, but also your husbands. So you must try and agree a course of action with him or you will always have a problem.

AbbieS9812 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:20:22

It's hard to just say no. When I say no to her haveing LO she will visit unannounced, knowing that I dont like It. She knows I'm in because she can hear Lo running around and the nursery rhymes in the background. If I dont answer she will continue to knock and knock, then go to the back door. It's hard to get out of

Shelflife Tue 20-Jul-21 13:22:52

Your baby is only 18 months old! She does not need overnight stays. If MIL wants your little one overnight it is purely for her benefit and that is of no value to your child. Do not feel guilty about turning to your family first for child care - it is a very natural thing to do. I always felt very safe when my children were in my mother's care - she was my mum! My daughters are just the same , trust me implicitly. IMO your daughter does not need weekends away from you just so MIL can satisfy her own needs. Sounds as though she sees quite a lot of her anyway. Please do not feel intimidated by her demands, if you can get your husband onside, use your parental rights . Follow your instinct and do not be bullied! This is your child and your rules. Be brave and good luck.

DillytheGardener Tue 20-Jul-21 13:24:57

Sounds like that you have asked for help here before but perhaps haven’t had the follow through at home when dealing with MIL and haven’t had the back up of DH.

Sit dh down and explain the situation as is isn’t working for you. You and dc are the priority now. Clearly you have been pushed and pushed so much that now everything she does malicious or not irritates you. I think you need a wee break from the visits. Perhaps have a whole week off, then gently scale back to once a week until your relationship is better with MIL. I battled my own MIL and lost, she completely took over my children’s childhoods. So you need to be firm now or you will be resentful of mil and dh permanently. Explain that to him, it is his mum, and he needs be proactive to help you scale it back. You need time with your family too, and it’s not for her to try and wheedle for more.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

timetogo2016 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:25:09

Same as the above.it`s a long time ago but i can`t remember my mil haveing my sons for more than an hour and the amount of times i could count on one hand.
Your child end of.

DillytheGardener Tue 20-Jul-21 13:27:55

For some context, my mum died when my children were still young, and still feel terrible guilt she had so little time with them as my mil completely took over. My mum never complained and was so polite and never brought it up to me, but I now realise it must have been very hard for her. I’m still extremely resentful of mil for being so pushy and greedy and for dh always bowing to what mummy wanted.

Redhead56 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:33:04

Now things are opening up you could start going to mother and toddler groups so you are not always available. You just need to be firm it’s good in one way she wants involvement. However her demanding sounds over the top and not necessary.

Your husband needs to man up and tell his mum that you don’t need a baby sitter. Also grandchild does not need to stay over as she lives close by.

I don’t know why she would be but if she is rude cut conversation or text short. As I said you just need to be assertive. You never know there may be a time when her help may be welcome.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Jul-21 13:34:46

Was it you who got a lot of advice previously?
You ll only get the same advice I think…. do what is reasonable you you
I ve only realised through reading these threads that although I really, really liked my mother in law a whole lot, I never went to her for anything, she did live 3 hours away and mum and dad were in the same town, but even so when we went to stay I never left my babies with her You know your own family their habits and ways so it’s only natural to go to them and not in laws I think most grans of boys accept this I certainly did my sons two children have a Nan and grandad nearby so I knew I d take a very very back seat ….that’s life, your daughter is not your mother in laws toy
Do what is comfortable for you

M0nica Tue 20-Jul-21 13:35:45

She is your child, you decide how often she sees her grandparents.

Personally, I would be very wary and careful with a grandmother who wants, essentially, to take the baby away from you and bring her up herself.

It sounds as if she has nothing else to do with her life so has tried to wind it round her grandchild. Was she a possessive mother, has she been overpresent in her son's life? Why do you live so near her? Was this your DH's decision?

The bests solution to this problem is to move somewhere at least 30 minutes travel away from her. Failing that draw up a time table for yourself of times when it would be convenent for MiL to come round or you to visit and stick to it come hell( your MiL) or high water (your DH?)

Smileless2012 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:36:48

Yes it is hard to say no, I had to do so myself but if you want this to stop you have to do so.

As for her continuing to knock if you don't answer the door, shut yourself in a bedroom with LO and some music playing until she goes away.

Sorry to sound harsh but you have posted about this before and the only one who can do something about this is you, and if your H wont support you, you'll have do deal with it on your own.

Luckygirl Tue 20-Jul-21 13:41:15

Oh for goodness sake! - this is small human being, not a parcel! She is not something to be handed around as a treat!

Everything that happens with her is dictated by your decisions as a parent as to what is best for her - end of story. What MIL thinks is best for her (MIL) is entirely irrelevant.

Just put your foot down: " We will let you know if we need you to look after her." Stick with that mantra.

poshpaws Tue 20-Jul-21 13:47:53

Your MIL sounds selfish, greedy and insensitive. Could you be assertive enough to just say to her firmly, "no, that doesn't work for me. Please be grateful that you already get to see LO so much." If you feel too intimidated to say it to her face, send her that exact message in a very brief letter. Don't try to appease or apologise for your stance. She'd just take you doing so as a sign of weakness. And stick to your guns. Since your husband sounds like a bit of a mummy's boy, you should probably explain to him that MIL has pushed you to the end of your tether and you expect him to do his duty as your husband and support you in your decision. Good luck!

NotSpaghetti Tue 20-Jul-21 13:49:21

If my Mother-in-law (or anyone) had been like this I would have gone mad. Personally I would have been looking to move by now!

BUT you need a chat with your husband. He needs to be your support, and he needs to be aware of the effect on you.

If you can't move I'd go out a lot - I do know this is cowardly but actually, going out is great with littleones and gets this stuff out of our heads. Invite other mums over too - "sorry I have guests today" and as others gave said, Ideally say "no, I'm sorry it's not convenient, can you come on Friday instead?"

Good luck.

BTW. I would not acquiesce to handing the toddler over. This was a firm no to me.

3nanny6 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:56:40

Abbie I think you have posted before about this problem.

It seems to me that your M.I.L is seeing enough of your LO possibly tooo much although as you live in the same road she probably thinks she can just take over whenever she wants to.
Put your foot down and stop being bullied get your H to support you and live your own life. It is too much invasion on you has your M.I.L got other GC she can visit or other friends to see she cannot demand your attention all the time.

Shelflife Tue 20-Jul-21 14:01:52

I do sympathize , it really is difficult to be assertive if that is out of character for you. However the behaviour of your MIL is bizarre, you feel she is trying to take your daughter from you , that will never happen, but those feelings you have raise a few red flags ! Continuous knocking on your door is not normal behaviour! For goodness sake make your rules very clear indeed to her. Your husband may well feel difficult about standing up to her . Has she dominated him throughout his life ? Get your heads together , decide how much access she is allowed and how that access is managed . Tell her together of your decision , be firm and not back down! If you are unable to make her see sense the answer is simple - move away . Not necessarily too far but far enough to make it impossible for her to come knocking on your door!!! Just go for it , she is very possessive and I'd behaving badly. She has had her family , this is your child - not hers !!!!