Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mother of future grandchild birthday

(36 Posts)
Wallsendgran Sun 25-Jul-21 11:36:33

Hi it is my son partner birthday in August she is pregnant with my first grandchild 5 months. I am wanting to give her a special present any ideas

Newmom101 Mon 26-Jul-21 08:31:21

With Spa days you need to check it’s a pregnancy specific one as there will be lots she can’t do, no hot tubs/sauna and some massages and facials aren’t allowed. Some places do specific ones for expecting mothers though.

You can get some good book subscriptions for 3/6/12 months if she likes to read.

Lucca Mon 26-Jul-21 08:37:00

janeainsworth

wallsendgran I’m assuming from your username you’re based in the north-east wink
Have a look at www.sarahhickey.co.uk
Sarah makes lovely things and you can visit her shop in Hexham or order online.
I gave DD and DiL silver bracelets at Christmas & they were both thrilled.

Congratulations on expecting your first grandchildsmile

Irrelevant I know but… I went to school in Hexham !

Lucca Mon 26-Jul-21 08:43:04

And wow what gorgeous jewellery, thanks. I’m looking for something for a special friend’s 60th birthday.

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Jul-21 08:55:06

I am avoiding buying new silver/gold jewellery as gifts and wouldn't recommend it as we have generally no idea where the precious metal/stones have come from if we buy from a jeweller who doesn't have a very strong ethical stance.

I know the jeweller in the link provided, janeainsworth has an ethical stance but I believe only Canadian diamonds are truly abuse free and she does use diamonds from London and Botswana.

This jewellery business is based entirely on harm-free jewellery.
ormebrown.com/

There will be plenty of others these days.

SuzieHi Mon 26-Jul-21 09:05:32

Nice necklace to keep? Tru diamonds have a summer sale on. Many pieces at brilliant reductions. Quality is excellent

Witzend Mon 26-Jul-21 09:14:28

I know it’s thoroughly boring, OP, but unless you know someone’s tastes/preferences extremely well I think I’d go for something like John Lewis vouchers, where they can choose from so many nice things, inc. baby things, if she wants.

You’re not the only one, Bibbity - I’ve had to make it very clear to dds never to give me any such thing!

As for ‘experiences’ such as ballon rides, IMO you need to know the person’s likes very well. Dh was once given a glider flight, which he thoroughly enjoyed, but before they went up, the pilot said, ‘Do you actually want to do this, or do you just feel you have to, because it was a present?’

So presumably that happens quite a lot!

Grandmajean Mon 26-Jul-21 09:18:39

I'm with Bibbity and would absolutely hate a pamper day. Most people love them but might be a good idea to do a little digging about what makes her happy.

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Jul-21 16:19:37

I too would hate to be pampered - especially when pregnant!!

Hithere Mon 26-Jul-21 16:35:22

Another one who pampering doesnt equal spa and massages

Kzzharr Tue 17-Aug-21 23:01:19

Depends on your budget but clarins do lovely massages for pregnant ladies apparently!