Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mother of future grandchild birthday

(35 Posts)
Wallsendgran Sun 25-Jul-21 11:36:33

Hi it is my son partner birthday in August she is pregnant with my first grandchild 5 months. I am wanting to give her a special present any ideas

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:39:09

Wallsendgran

Hi it is my son partner birthday in August she is pregnant with my first grandchild 5 months. I am wanting to give her a special present any ideas

A pamper day at a local salon or spa, my DiL’s and DD really enjoyed them during pregnancy.
(They should have pregnancy packages )

CafeAuLait Sun 25-Jul-21 11:41:14

Her pregnancy isn't really relevant to what you should give her. She is not the 'mother of your future grandchild' specifically, she is a person in her own right first. Give her something special for her that doesn't relate to her reproductive status, especially as an incubator for a grandchild for you. I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it is coming across, I just think you need to be wary of making her feel like you're only interested in the baby without a relationship with her first. That often doesn't end well. What would you give her if she wasn't pregnant?

Maggiemaybe Sun 25-Jul-21 11:55:09

Of course a pregnancy's relevant when thinking of presents. Anything involving alcohol, hot air balloon rides, etc is out for starters!

The pamper day sounds good. Maybe a subscription for monthly flowers or posh chocs deliveries?

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:58:12

Surely the OP was just giving a bit of background relating to the birthday girl’s circumstances. ?

CafeAuLait Sun 25-Jul-21 11:58:13

What's wrong with a hot air balloon ride when pregnant? Anyway, I may be projecting here thinking of the time my MIL gave me pacifiers for my birthday when I was pregnant, knowing I wasn't planning on using them. The point is, give her a present that shows you are thinking of her, not just the baby she is about to produce.

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 12:00:03

CafeAuLait - still got the same MIL ? She sounds dreadful, I’m not surprised you weren’t very happy with those gifts !!!

CafeAuLait Sun 25-Jul-21 12:02:18

Infinity2

CafeAuLait - still got the same MIL ? She sounds dreadful, I’m not surprised you weren’t very happy with those gifts !!!

She hasn't been part of my life (or my children's lives) for 15 years. Eventually I gave up and decided to be as invisible as she treated me.

mumofmadboys Sun 25-Jul-21 12:11:34

Have you been on a hot air balloon ride Cafeaulait? I have. It is a fantastic experience but you bump down, the basket falls over and you end up lying on top of each other! Not ideal if pregnant!!

CafeAuLait Sun 25-Jul-21 12:14:38

mumofmadboys

Have you been on a hot air balloon ride Cafeaulait? I have. It is a fantastic experience but you bump down, the basket falls over and you end up lying on top of each other! Not ideal if pregnant!!

No I haven't and I'm not sure I could handle the height. I don't think I ever will go on one. Like I said to OP, I hope she takes the sentiment of what I said and looks beyond the awkward way it was expressed.

eazybee Sun 25-Jul-21 12:38:13

Something luxurious so she can indulge herself, also washable, if for long term use!

Callistemon Sun 25-Jul-21 12:49:17

mumofmadboys

Yes, that happened when DH was treated to one - not ideal for a pregnant woman, I would have thought.

Something lovely for her, not anything to do with babies.

Newatthis Sun 25-Jul-21 13:04:09

What a nice MiL. A pamper day would be perfect or some nice cosmetics (organic?).

Hithere Sun 25-Jul-21 13:09:17

I agree with cafeaulait

Give her something she likes

Have you acknowledge past birthdays ?
If not, giving her a present now may be weird

NotSpaghetti Sun 25-Jul-21 13:14:20

I second (third?) something uniquely for her
What does she normally like?

Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 13:49:19

CafeAuLait - here’s some flowers to make up for that ultra crappy present all those years ago - good to hear you binned her off - she deserves it
???

janeainsworth Sun 25-Jul-21 14:04:40

wallsendgran I’m assuming from your username you’re based in the north-east wink
Have a look at www.sarahhickey.co.uk
Sarah makes lovely things and you can visit her shop in Hexham or order online.
I gave DD and DiL silver bracelets at Christmas & they were both thrilled.

Congratulations on expecting your first grandchildsmile

Bossyrossy Sun 25-Jul-21 14:20:44

A spa day is a good idea, but give her a double voucher so that she can take a friend. If that is too expensive, how about a gift voucher for a nail bar or a pedicure? Some nice smelling body lotion for preventing stretch marks is another idea.

Maggiemaybe Sun 25-Jul-21 14:38:33

What's wrong with a hot air balloon ride when pregnant?

Apart from the fact that you’re not allowed in the balloon? confused

www.virginballoonflights.co.uk/faq

Maggiemaybe Sun 25-Jul-21 14:42:42

Or in the basket even. grin

Esspee Sun 25-Jul-21 14:49:21

We had the last balloon flight in Luxor before covid grounded them and the operator hovered 6 inches above the ground before helpers on land moved in to allow us to alight. Not the slightest bump occurred.

Maggiemaybe Sun 25-Jul-21 14:54:45

I love the way the FAQs say confidently that during landing you will be in the safe, seated landing position within the basket as instructed by your pilot. DD1 and I were in a compartmentalised basket, which landed on its side and bumped along at speed while we clung on desperately, while lying on our backs about 6 foot above the ground.

It was great. smile I’m glad I did it then because I now have a medical condition that would rule it out.

Callistemon Sun 25-Jul-21 15:04:21

Maggiemaybe

Or in the basket even. grin

???

CafeAuLait Sun 25-Jul-21 23:22:25

Infinity2

CafeAuLait - here’s some flowers to make up for that ultra crappy present all those years ago - good to hear you binned her off - she deserves it
???

Thank you. :-)

Bibbity Mon 26-Jul-21 00:38:31

Some massages can not be had when pregnant. And also I would focus on her likes. Could you ask your son?

I may be in a minority but I hate pamper days. I have let a few expire..