Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bragging - what is it?

(53 Posts)
Newatthis Sun 12-Sep-21 14:29:02

What do you understand by the term 'bragging'? For example, if someone has just had a new kitchen fitted and they tell you about it, is this bragging? Or if someone's child/grandchild achieves something etc. etc. Is it associated with the listener being jealous or insecure? I knew someone who use to talk endlessly (and boringly) about her 'cruise experiences' but never once asked how anyone else enjoyed their holiday and then, when her neighbour went to Spain for a week's holiday and came back nicely tanned and said that the hotel was lovely (I asked the neighbour if she had a nice time), cruise lady said 'she's always bragging' which was totally untrue.

Lucca Sun 12-Sep-21 14:31:31

Isn’t bragging something that happens in school ?

silverlining48 Sun 12-Sep-21 14:38:36

Or is that fagging? grin

Spinnaker Sun 12-Sep-21 14:40:15

Or twagging (playing truant)

Lucca Sun 12-Sep-21 14:41:40

Nagging ? Oh that’s what women do to men, and if men do it it’s called “reminding”.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Sep-21 14:50:23

Sagging maybe ! I might be lagging sometimes
I think bragging is if you go on about it
If you tell someone you ve got a new car which you love that’s a bit of news, if you start saying oh my cars really wonderful
I ve never seen another one like it round here it’s got seats to die for, wait till you see it you ll fall in love with it I bet everyone’s jealous of my gorgeous new car…. That’s bragging
Same with kids My son has got really good grades in his exams, thats news, then for the umpteenth time my sons grades were brilliant, he beat all his peers, he was really the top one in his whole class, with those grades he ll get to Oxford /Cambridge etc etc I can’t believe how well he’s done, no one came near him …yawn yawn

Lucca Sun 12-Sep-21 14:56:14

Ah so “I’ve got a smashing new car” is just flagging it up ….

JaneJudge Sun 12-Sep-21 15:00:16

Bragging is having a new car and sitting outside your next door neighbours drive playing Eurythmics at full blast with the top down

Josianne Sun 12-Sep-21 15:09:09

Doesn't bragging imply that you are trying to incite jealousy in some way?
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a lot of pride in a new kitchen, car or grandchild etc.
I was accused of being very boastful about an achievement on GN and told to go and polish my halo. It never occurred to me that people would get envious, but then I do use a lot of superlatives to express my delight or enjoyment in things.
I rather like Eurythmics JaneJudge on full blast!

LauraNorder Sun 12-Sep-21 15:09:15

JaneJudge ?

Callistemon Sun 12-Sep-21 16:04:18

I think Bluebelle nailed it!

lemongrove Sun 12-Sep-21 16:10:33

Yes, BlueBelle that’s exactly what bragging is.Now, while I have your attention.... have you seen my wonderful new hair do? It suits me a treat and all my friends are envious, even my hairdresser said that he’d never seen such hair on anyone my age, and it’s so glossy and beautifully conditioned too! My husband and all his friends can’t stop looking at it and telling me how great it looks, and their wives are all jealous.
?

Spinnaker Sun 12-Sep-21 16:17:13

lemongrove

Yes, BlueBelle that’s exactly what bragging is.Now, while I have your attention.... have you seen my wonderful new hair do? It suits me a treat and all my friends are envious, even my hairdresser said that he’d never seen such hair on anyone my age, and it’s so glossy and beautifully conditioned too! My husband and all his friends can’t stop looking at it and telling me how great it looks, and their wives are all jealous.
?

Such modesty wink grin

Tea3 Sun 12-Sep-21 16:24:40

Hasn’t bragging come to be called ‘bigging yourself up’?

LauraNorder Sun 12-Sep-21 16:46:54

And it covers your chin so well Lemongrove

Josianne Sun 12-Sep-21 17:08:04

Tea3

Hasn’t bragging come to be called ‘bigging yourself up’?

Like with protein shakes?!!

Tea3 Sun 12-Sep-21 17:12:54

Similar Josianne in that one’s painful on the ears and the other painful on the eyes if an over muscled bod.

Calendargirl Sun 12-Sep-21 17:15:08

Judging by other threads, ‘bragging’ probably has a whole new meaning,on a sexual theme, used by youngsters, but unknown to most people over 60.

confused

JaneJudge Sun 12-Sep-21 18:46:15

I rather like Eurythmics JaneJudge on full blast!

Saved us putting anything on grin

toscalily Sun 12-Sep-21 18:51:38

Isn't the constant taking of selfies the modern equivalent of bragging grin or "bigging yourself up"

Doodledog Sun 12-Sep-21 19:05:08

I think it depends who you are telling.

If I say "I've got a new 'thing' and I love it, and isn't it pretty, and did I tell you about my new thing . . ." to my sister or daughter they wouldn't see it as bragging, but I wouldn't say it in that way to others.

I like seeing people taking pleasure in things, and only really find it wearing when they try to 'trump' others - 'My grand-daughter passed all of her exams and got her degree!' followed by 'That's nice - of course my grandson got a first class degree from Oxford', or similar.

Newatthis Mon 13-Sep-21 10:33:53

Doodledog - you got it!

Silvertwigs Mon 13-Sep-21 10:44:43

Josianne that’s the only way to listen to Annie Lennox! Love her

Sheilasue Mon 13-Sep-21 10:49:23

Show offs as my mother called them.

Alioop Mon 13-Sep-21 11:04:13

Big heads who boast, show off and blow their on trumpets.