Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Son in law - dislike

(107 Posts)
Chookstar73 Mon 13-Sep-21 12:43:22

Hi all
We have a daughter who has changed from being a huge off the bone meat eater to meeting her partner and now has turned vegan. All the things she has been bought up on have gone out the window to join the partners view. We have five children and all have beautiful, polite and respectful partners and have bought us many fantastic grandchildren to the world.
How can one person come into her life, change her dramatically to follow his views and values and forget the wonderful things we have given her. We feel he has manipulated her and all the other children dislike him especially what he is doing to her.
I feel like I don’t want to be around her as every time I cry as I feel I have totally lost connection.
I’m so upset and don’t know what to do ?

Smileless2012 Mon 13-Sep-21 14:08:52

Well said Madgran. I agree it will be totally understandable if the OP doesn't return to this thread if she comes back to GN at allangry.

JaneJudge Mon 13-Sep-21 14:12:31

Some people take their cul de sac bee bee queues very seriously

grandtanteJE65 Mon 13-Sep-21 14:19:26

My sympathies are entirely with this daughter and her partner.

Frankly, you come across as overbearing and self-opinionated.

And if your other children and their spouses are treating their sister and her partner as you describe, you won't have to worry about being with them, will you?

This poor girl and her beloved aren't likely to want to see any of you.

Granmarderby10 Mon 13-Sep-21 14:32:22

I’m with annsixty and crazyH as long as you don’t feel uncomfortable in your own home and the chap is not trying to “convert” you all.

BlueBelle Mon 13-Sep-21 14:44:30

callistemom the reason I asked if poster was Australian
They are biiiiiggggg meat eaters and an advocado doesn’t do so well on the ‘barbi’ ?
I agree totally grandetante

Callistemon Mon 13-Sep-21 14:51:50

BlueBelle

callistemom the reason I asked if poster was Australian
They are biiiiiggggg meat eaters and an advocado doesn’t do so well on the ‘barbi’ ?
I agree totally grandetante

Bluebelle and, of course, hens are known as chooks in Australia.

Yes, but they do serve avocados with bacon and eggs for breakfast!
Or on toast if someone is vegan.

Redhead56 Mon 13-Sep-21 14:59:13

There must be more to other than turning vegan.

Madgran77 Mon 13-Sep-21 14:59:19

cul de sac bee bees queues

Um ....what is that JaneJudge?

Callistemon Mon 13-Sep-21 15:04:25

Bluebelle and JaneJudge

Sliced aubergine is very good done on the bbq, but not on the same bbq plate as the meat, obviously, if there are vegetarians or vegans present.
(aka eggplant in Australia)

BlueBelle Mon 13-Sep-21 15:08:05

But I said advocado …???

trisher Mon 13-Sep-21 15:12:59

I think you need this poem

Hithere Mon 13-Sep-21 15:15:48

While my own narc parents went bananas when I went vegetarian, they wouldnt admit to it like that so openly on a forum.

Norah Mon 13-Sep-21 15:51:48

Every person has their own ways. I'd guess D becoming vegan is not your total problem with herself?

AmberSpyglass Mon 13-Sep-21 15:56:59

I’m guessing more broader politics are involved, and possibly moving away from the family religion…

Callistemon Mon 13-Sep-21 16:07:00

Profound and very true trisher

Callistemon Mon 13-Sep-21 16:13:51

BlueBelle

But I said advocado …???

How can one person come into her life, change her dramatically to follow his views and values and forget the wonderful things we have given her. We feel he has manipulated her and all the other children dislike him especially what he is doing to her.

Turning this around: you have brought your DC up with your views and values but that does not mean that they are necessarily right. Your other DC still agree with you but one day they may start to think for themselves or be influenced by outside sources and realise that there is more than one path in life and no one way is right or wrong.

I hope I brought my DC up to think for themselves and they do; they may not necessarily agree with me nor I with them. It doesn't mean we love each other less. In fact, it has made me think and learn.

Callistemon Mon 13-Sep-21 16:15:53

Sorry, I don't know why or how I quoted your avocado post, Bluebelle!
Aubergines (eggplant) and courgettes (zucchini) are better on a bbq, avocados just make a mess!

Neen Mon 13-Sep-21 16:18:43

Gosh, I am assuming there is more to this than vegan, as I am 54 raised wonderfully and also stopped eating meat.
But if you missed narcissist or gaslighting traits, then it is a concern and just have an open door policy. I've had partners that I disliked of my eldest daughter but I just forgot to remember people behave the way they do for a reason and got to know them a bit.

Judy54 Mon 13-Sep-21 16:37:47

Hello Chookstar73 our friends stopped eating meat and became vegetarian and they still remain our friends. We enjoy cooking for them as it adds another dimension to our food although we ourselves remain meat eaters. It is a shame that you find this such a dramatic life change for your daughter and that the other children dislike him for what he is doing to her. We are all different not only in our eating habits but in our race, creed and abilities. It is about embracing those differences which is important. I hope that you can find a way to be happy for your Daughter and her Partner.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 13-Sep-21 16:55:26

It sounds like you have a wonderful family, so don’t let this spoil it. It is rather insignificant in the overall scheme of things, and may not last forever anyway.

I think you’re overreacting to be honest, just enjoy what you have.

Artaylar Mon 13-Sep-21 17:13:01

Viva la difference. Why not try some embracing of it. You might learn something, and ....even enjoy it.

Your daughter is living her own life. Support her and be proud of her.

Smileless2012 Mon 13-Sep-21 20:19:06

Are you suggesting that the OP is a narcissist Hithere? What an extremely unpleasant post, even for you.

Hithere Mon 13-Sep-21 20:41:02

Smileless,
No, not at all.

Smileless2012 Mon 13-Sep-21 20:48:31

OK could you explain what you mean when you posted "While my own narc parents went bananas when I went vegetarian, they wouldn't admit to it like that so openly on a forum".

The OP has had a strong reaction to her D becoming a vegan and has said so "openly on a forum". So, if you're not suggesting that the OP is a narcissist as you say your parents are, what are you saying? Were you referring to another poster on this thread?

BlueBelle Mon 13-Sep-21 21:26:49

But the original poster has no right to expect her daughter to be a ‘big meat eater’ just because the rest of the family is Indeed she’s no right to have any say in her daughters life style

I would have thought if there were more serious reasons to dislike the new son in law they would have been mentioned and would have been head of the dislikes column

a huge off the bone meat eater sounds blooming horrible
All I can say is concentrate on your own life chookstar and stop having expectations as to how others live not your business at all